News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger Ignition Key - Trying to make a copy

Started by Johnnys440Charger, April 14, 2014, 09:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnys440Charger

I am trying to make a spare ignition key.   I ordered a blank from ebay, got the key copied at a local place.  Went home to test it, doesn't work.  Then realized when comparing the keys, they are different.   I guess I ordered the wrong key?   Where can I get a proper Chrysler blank key?   :brickwall:  :scratchchin:  :P  :-\

Lord Warlock

Looks to me like whoever cut the key didn't do a very good job, you sure it doesn't fit? Or does it just not turn? the peaks and valleys on the right key do not match the original, it looks like it could be recut to possibly work.  I've seen key blanks at several shops that would probably work provided someone cuts it right.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Johnnys440Charger

Quote from: Lord Warlock on April 14, 2014, 10:15:53 PM
Looks to me like whoever cut the key didn't do a very good job, you sure it doesn't fit? Or does it just not turn? the peaks and valleys on the right key do not match the original, it looks like it could be recut to possibly work.  I've seen key blanks at several shops that would probably work provided someone cuts it right.

I should have been more specific. It fits, but doesn't turn. These new key cutting machines have little human intervention. Put it the source and blank, press a button, and it's complete in one pass. 

Do u think its a bad cut? I was thinking it's the wrong blank.

2Luke2

Bad cut. I would take it back. The spare key is way off.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ODZKing

Really the only difference in the 2 blanks is the depth of the left side.  If you'd said the original didn't work in place of the copy blank, I'd say it was because it can't go in far enough.  But the other way around should work.
It does look like a very BAD cut. Maybe a locksmith can repair the cuts, but I don't know.
They can also measure the cuts and do it correctly. Yeah, they don't look correct at all.  :rotz:
According to my books Y152 is correct. Here are the other manufacturers.
Yale #: 769CH
Ilco #: 1769CH
Dominion #: 769CH
Taylor #: P19A
Curtis #: Y152
Star #: HPL73

wilbur124

If you have steady hands, you can fix it with a jewelers file.  The new key is the right one, but as others have said, it is a bad cut. 

b5blue

Find an "old school" hardware store....mine even had keys to the under cap FUEL lock for my Charger. The key will be 1.50 and they cut it for free.  :2thumbs:

Johnnys440Charger

Thanks everyone for examining the keys and good advice.  Here is a better view.   The original key is in the front - the copy right behind.

ODZKing

Quote from: Johnnys440Charger on April 18, 2014, 02:12:53 PM
Thanks everyone for examining the keys and good advice.  Here is a better view.   The original key is in the front - the copy right behind.
I'd say your problem are the 2 deeper cuts. 

dual fours

Snug both keys together with two small clamps (do not distort them) one on the big end (bow/head) and one on the shaft (blade) close to the big end and be sure the shoulder or stops (the flat edge between the head and the blade) are together, slowly file with a small half round file, it looks fixable.
DO NOT REMOVE ANY BRASS OF THE ORIGINAL KEY WITH THE FILE. The clerk should never have let this one as is!
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Ghoste

histoy

We took our key to our local Dodge dealer.  They had some old blanks and made us a copy at no charge.  Great customer service!

XH29N0G

Did you solve this?  I recently bought blanks from Mancini and had to go to an old style hardware store/locksmith to have at least one of them cut.  The folks with the laser cutters would not touch them and sent me to the other store. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Johnnys440Charger

Not yet.  I plan on taking the key to a local old school key cutting place.