News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket denso alternator hits the block

Started by Dino, April 15, 2014, 07:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Is that bad?  The battery stud and field terminals clear the head fine with room to spare but if I want my A/C belt to line up decently, the back of the alt hits the ps head.  It's ground so I don't really see an issue, especially if the alt is tight and cannot move around BUT I thought I'd ask here just to make sure.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Quote from: b5blue on April 15, 2014, 04:40:47 PM
???? pics?  :scratchchin:

Okay, I can see how that would have been helpful...   :lol:

Gimme a few minutes.

Dino

That top alt case bolt hits the head and if I cut it a bit shorter it'll give me about a millimeter before the black casing hits it as well.  If it's not already there.

I don't really see a rubbing issue as movement of the alternator would be evident in the sound the belts make, but I can't be sure.  I may cut the bolt short just so it doesn't have this single load point on the side of the alt and just have the center of the alt touch the block, if that makes sense.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

b5blue

The aftermarket mount kit holds mine lower so it's not a problem for me?  :shruggy:

2Luke2

I would definitely just cut the bolt flush.

Dino

myk

I don't know why but I didn't cut the bolt on my 'alt; I shortened it then put a rubber cap on it "just in case."  In retrospect I should've just cut the damn thing off...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: myk on April 16, 2014, 08:15:48 PM
I don't know why but I didn't cut the bolt on my 'alt; I shortened it then put a rubber cap on it "just in case."  In retrospect I should've just cut the damn thing off...

How did you shorten it?

I just cut the tip off.  Enough to clear the block and put the little boot on there.

c00nhunterjoe

I would like to see more of the alternator setup personally. What alternator did you use? Did you have to modify brackets?

b5blue

Here is my 120 Amp Denso with aftermarket brackets. See how it sits off to the side more, it avoids the head hitting. (Dino first you were hitting your head now your head is hitting the Alt.!)