News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 charger starting and electrical issues

Started by Charger_70, April 16, 2014, 08:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_70

Ok I just went and turned key and it cranked by turning key! But no start.

Charger_70

I also wanted to let you know that ive got to have the amp gauge hooked up for anything to happen if there not hooked up its like the car is dead nothing works but if the 2 wires are hooked up everything works.

Pete in NH

David,

Okay, great! So glad you don't have to replace that ignition switch.

When you say everything works when you connect the ammeter do you mean the car starts and runs?

If so, we are almost there. As I said I will not be near  my computer the next  two days but, when I get back we will get that ammeter wiring in safely and you should be all set.

If the car does not run with the ammeter connected we will tackle the ignition system next.

Charger_70

Quote from: Pete in NH on May 01, 2014, 08:07:23 PM
David,

Okay, great! So glad you don't have to replace that ignition switch.

When you say everything works when you connect the ammeter do you mean the car starts and runs?

If so, we are almost there. As I said I will not be near  my computer the next  two days but, when I get back we will get that ammeter wiring in safely and you should be all set.

If the car does not run with the ammeter connected we will tackle the ignition system next.
I couldnt get it started tonight. If those are hooked up everything works headlights, taillights, ect if there not then nothing works car will crank but wont start.

Dino

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, just want to be sure you don't start a fire here.

When the ammeter is not connected then the black and red wires need to be connected to each other or you interrupt the circuit.  If those wires are not connected to each other or by way of the ammeter here is no power going into the car.  BUT the wires are live so if they touch ground, I hope the fuse catches it or you're going to be in for one hell of a light show.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger_70

Quote from: Dino on May 01, 2014, 08:33:42 PM
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, just want to be sure you don't start a fire here.

When the ammeter is not connected then the black and red wires need to be connected to each other or you interrupt the circuit.  If those wires are not connected to each other or by way of the ammeter here is no power going into the car.  BUT the wires are live so if they touch ground, I hope the fuse catches it or you're going to be in for one hell of a light show.
I have them connected to the ammeter now but right now if im not with it i unhook the battery. The thing i dont understand is if there hooked up to the gauge then everything has power... but i can check for spark from my coil and it doesnt spark but if i arc the wires then the coil wire will spark and  usally the car will start.

Charger_70

Can I run the  wire from alternator that runs to the bulkhead and run it to the battery stud on starter relay with a fuseable link and the 2 wires that connect to ammeter i can just put them together is that how you bypass it?

Dino

Yes, connect the red and black wires that go to the ammeter.  You can definitely run a wire from the alternator to the starter relay stud.  I have a 90 amp alt with a 6 ga wire running to the relay.

If you do this then technically you take the brunt of the load off the ammeter so it can remain hooked up, but it won't read right so you may as well ditch it.

You can always change the ammeter to a volt meter!   :icon_smile_big:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,108698.0.html
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger_70

Well I been checking connection and my ignition control module was bad so i changed it and it fired right up by the key and no wires got hot ... but im still gonna keep checking ...

Pete in NH

Hi David,

It sounds like the car is running and starting with the key!

We can get the ammeter wired up safely if you want to keep it. If you keep the ammeter, it's a  good idea to wire around the bulk head connector pins. Let me know if you want to keep the ammeter and I'll give you instructions to wire around the connector. If you have a stock type alternator keeping the ammeter is okay.

Charger_70

Quote from: Pete in NH on May 04, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
Hi David,

It sounds like the car is running and starting with the key!

We can get the ammeter wired up safely if you want to keep it. If you keep the ammeter, it's a  good idea to wire around the bulk head connector pins. Let me know if you want to keep the ammeter and I'll give you instructions to wire around the connector. If you have a stock type alternator keeping the ammeter is okay.
As  of right now I dont have it hooked up to the gauge but have them together. There are 2 wires that aint hooked up that idk were they go coming from bulkhead a violet and grey wire the diagram shows them goin to a circuit breaker. Is it safe just taking the wires that went to the ammeter and just put them together ?

Pete in NH

The gray wire is likely for the factory oil pressure gauge and the violet for the factory temperature gauge. I noticed the add on gauge panel under the dash so the factory gauges may be disconnected.

The wiring is so cut up, I would not trust the factory ammeter wiring. I think it would be safer to run new wires from the alternator to the ammeter and then from the ammeter to the new 50 amp fuse you put in earlier.

As I've said before the best we are doing here is a patch job, the car really is going to need new wiring harnesses.

Do any of the factory gauges work?

Charger_70

Quote from: Pete in NH on May 04, 2014, 02:08:53 PM
The gray wire is likely for the factory oil pressure gauge and the violet for the factory temperature gauge. I noticed the add on gauge panel under the dash so the factory gauges may be disconnected.

The wiring is so cut up, I would not trust the factory ammeter wiring. I think it would be safer to run new wires from the alternator to the ammeter and then from the ammeter to the new 50 amp fuse you put in earlier.

As I've said before the best we are doing here is a patch job, the car really is going to need new wiring harnesses.

Do any of the factory gauges work?
Im def gonna start getting new wiring little at a time. On the gauges ive not hooked all up to see except for headlights, wipers and dome light and they all worked. The temp gauge that they installed works. I just feel more comfortable leaving the ammeter un hooked so i can keep an eye on those 2 wires maybe after i get a new wiring ill hook it back up i was jus makin sure it safe to just connect them together.

Pete in NH

David,

Yes, it should be alright to connect the two original ammeter wires together. You have that new 50 amp fuse in the circuit and that should keep things reasonably safe. I would follow the two ammeter wires around under the dash and at least inspect them for missing insulation and splices that may not have been done correctly.