News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flaky headlight switch started when wiring cigarette lighter

Started by XH29N0G, April 19, 2014, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I just replaced the lights in my cluster and cleaned up the gauges.  After putting it in the car and testing I decided to wire in the cigarette lighter.  I think I had the wires on the lighter correctly chosen, but when I was doing that, the headlight switch stopped working.  It will work in intermediate positions of the rocker but not when it clicks into the parking light and on positions.  My understanding from reading the cluster restore thread is that the switch is very simple in design and should not fail.  Before I pull it out (tomorrow), I thought I would ask on the list whether there are any recommendations for tests/repairs other than what I see on the cluster restore thread. 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

Try just cycling the switch on and off a bunch of times, sometimes the old lube gets crusty and gums up the slider inside.  :scratchchin:

XH29N0G

The switch turned out to be OK.  It turned out to be the fuse in the fuse box.  Somehow the fuse would turn as a flash on initially for the tail lights and then disconnect.  When I took it out, the wire was disconnected at both ends, but apparently full length.  My only guess is that when cold it made contact and when it heated due to current, it deformed and broke contact. 

Really strange behavior. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....