News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

headrests on a 68 charger

Started by willy c, April 22, 2014, 10:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy c

The kit from pg classics does not allow the headrest to adjust up and down since the bottom plastic piece does not have a thru hole. Did the original ones adjust up and down?

Just 6T9 CHGR

No.  They are fixed in one position.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

twenty mike mike

Well...there is one notch. Nothing is to prevent you from drilling out that stop, or not running the headrests down to the notch, so then you could call that "adjustable." How long they stay in that position depends on how tightly they are mounted in the seat. Mine are pretty hard to move. They, and the hardware, are from PG.

willy c

Thanks for the comments. I just seem to remember my original ones adjusting. But that has been 46 years ago and my memory isn't that good on everything.

twenty mike mike

Quote from: willy c on April 23, 2014, 10:09:53 AM
Thanks for the comments. I just seem to remember my original ones adjusting. But that has been 46 years ago and my memory isn't that good on everything.

You're welcome.  :cheers:

Your memory is excellent. I moved the ones pictured to suit my mood, although I can't remember how far down they went. I can't believe I didn't level the driver's side headrest for the pic.

willy c

Thanks for the pics. I thought my original chargers headrests would go down all the way to the top of the seats.

willy c

I am still looking for someone that has an original headrest set up and not the pg classic one. Do they adjust up and down with the notches in the headrest bars holding them in place? if not, why are the notches in the headrest bars at all unless you have 3 positions they can be set at?
Thanks,
Willy C

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: willy c on April 27, 2014, 08:58:34 AM
I am still looking for someone that has an original headrest set up and not the pg classic one. Do they adjust up and down with the notches in the headrest bars holding them in place? if not, why are the notches in the headrest bars at all unless you have 3 positions they can be set at?
Thanks,
Willy C

There are only one set of notches in the headrests to lock them in a fixed position.  If you want to defeat the notch and bring them down to the top of the seat I would assume a bit of persuasion you can do this.

Back in 2007 when BE/A & PG Classics first came out with the repro headrest, I had a serious issue with them.  They were too short compared to the originals.  Too short when locked into the notch,(which was wrong shape as well) they were too close to the seat.  As you can see in the first pic the repro on left & my original on right.
According to them they sold over 50 sets without a complaint...I was the only one to complain.  I sent them my original as a comparo & after 5 months they finally made them "better".  The metal posts were inserted into the molded head rest too far.  This was the reason for the shortness.

Looking at the second pic of them in the car the repro on the left & original on right
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

willy c

thank you very much for the pictures of the original headrest. The ones I have are evidently out of something else since  they  have 3 notches for 3 different positions. That was the reason for my post about adjustment. Thanks for clearing that up.
Willy