News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

67 charger lights

Started by el flaco1313, April 23, 2014, 12:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el flaco1313

headlights come on but do not rotate,motors and limit switches are good,replaced headlight switch,circut breaker behind kick panel not sure about open,close and control relays.tail do not work at all replaced bulbs and resistence cable.where do i go from here.

Ghoste

I'd go to the relays behind the glovebox.

el flaco1313

thanks,i will try that,what about the tail lights.

ODZKing

The center one is the main headlamp relay and one is open, the other close.
First thing to check though, do the motors work? Unplug them and run a jump from the battery. One pin is ground, one open, the other close.  You'll see soon enough, but try that first. There is also a circuit breaker under the driver kick panel that goes bad.  That I would check also.  If they check out, and the motors open, then go to the relays.

el flaco1313

thanks,already done all that,how do you test the relays?

A383Wing

if you find out yours are bad, I got new upgraded sets here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310940176044?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

the center relay in yer car is a "NC" of normally closed relay, it's usually the one that goes out first.

Bryan

Ghoste

Why is that Bryan, because of the nc part?

A383Wing

Quote from: Ghoste on April 23, 2014, 06:41:41 PM
Why is that Bryan, because of the nc part?

No, it's just that relay is usually the one that goes out first..maybe because the headlight motor power goes through it before the others?

Most think that the center relay is just a horn relay because that's what it looks like..but it's not....horn relays are "NO" or Normally Open style.....

With my set, "if" one should fail, the Bosch style cube relays are found most anywhere....but I use 40a relays, might be hard to find those at your local parts store...but all 3 of mine are interchangeable, unlike OE ones

Ghoste

A383Wing

yes...the inside and outside are "NO" relays.....

My 40a Bosch 5-pin relays are all the same..it's just the adapter harness's that are wires differently to accept the one style relays.

The inside and outside OE relays were the same on the cars....one was "open"...the other was "close"

gibber

I use Bryan's upgraded relays on my 67 Charger, work great...highly recommend them...

Mark
Mark Gibson
1966 and 67 Charger, 1968 D200 Pickup
Mopar Gauge Troubles? I can help!
www.thegaugedoc.com

el flaco1313

replaced relays still no go but now the flashers half work,meaning all the interior lights dash lights front turn signalsand two tail light bulbs

ODZKing

Sounds like you're messing with the wrong relays  :shruggy:

el flaco1313

started with a headlight issue still will not rotate,now when i turn on the 4way flasher switch all the interior lights,dash lights & front running lights flash.could this be a bad ground or flasher ?

A383Wing

you got something wired up wrong.....do you have a wiring diagram for the car? Hard to work on these 66 & 67's without knowing which wire goes to what.....and with 250v AC running through the little white wire...you will wake up in a hurry if that one is hot and you touch it

el flaco1313

yeah i got shop manual w/diagrams its just tough going behind someone else & not knowing what they've done

el flaco1313

got new headlight relays open/close BWD r353 & control BWD r683,these are from advance auto parts.

A383Wing

betting those relays are wrong.....the control relay has not been reproduced..I bet the one you got is actually a horn relay

el flaco1313

its a  5 pin like the bosch you have to ground it same hook up 30 &87a are the main 85 or 86 are the secondary,use one ground the other,i just crossed the napa numbers & they're way cheaper