News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mr. Norm 1969 Charger 500 Restoration

Started by CornDogsCharger, April 23, 2014, 04:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Just to note but I know of another 500 that sold new at Mr. norms. It was a Hemi automatic car.

RallyeMike

Pretty neat to see it in MCG. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product in a few months.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Daytona Guy

Just absolutely amazing to watch. Beyond words. Fantastic work. Jaw dropping.

Dane

jonw29

Corndog, I came through Jackson yesterday about 2:00 and I blew the horn.Did you hear it? :icon_smile_big:

Alaskan_TA

I have heard that Norm sold at least 11 500s.

Dave Kanofsky

Looking great Justin!  Thanks for sharing...
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

CornDogsCharger

Thanks guys for all of the comments.  I have been busy the last few days and have not had a chance to check the forum.  Wow!... up to 11 500's from Grand Spaulding!  That's the first I've heard of that.  I would like to know all of the color combos.  When I talked to Randy, for the article, I told him that I didn't know for sure if it was the same car (as the car in the famous photo), but there is a possibility that it could be.  Other than the car in the picture appearing like B7 blue (which I have not seen before), the car I am working on and the one in the photo share all the same characteristics.  And I told him that I didn't know if anyone could ever prove that they were the same car.  Unless the person who took the picture said "the 500 in the photo belonged to me and I just purchased it from the dealer"... then I don't think anyone will ever know for sure.  He told me that people would have a harder time proving that it ISN'T the same car as in the photo.  I guess it's kind of like the glass being half empty or half full??

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: jonw29 on April 27, 2015, 07:35:29 AM
Corndog, I came through Jackson yesterday about 2:00 and I blew the horn.Did you hear it? :icon_smile_big:

Sorry... I didn't hear you.  I was out of town.  Maybe next time.  haha   :smilielol:

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Original rear window plug re-installed.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

I reinstalled the original fenders (that were dipped and e-coated) and the new AMD hood.  These were actually some the pictures that I took for the MCG article but I guess he preferred the "cut-up" pictures instead.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

After all of the panels were bolted in place and aligned to where they needed to be, I started cutting and welding the panels to make the gaps look right.  Maybe not exactly how it was when it left the factory.... but how it should have left the factory.  Even the gaps between the OE panels needed some work.

Justin
"CornDog"

Before... I forgot to take a picture of the before.... before I started trimming on it.

After:

I know this is probably a little bit on to Over Anal side... but if you look at the gap between the decklid and the rear window plug, you can see where it gets wide in the center.  When I shortened the new AMD decklid, I made it exactly the same as the original decklid.  I even traced it on paper.  I guess the car originally had a funky gap.  Not anymore!  haha

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

The mud slinging begins.  I know it looks like a lot filler, but really isn't.  I always skim coat the whole panel and about 80% will end up on the floor.  

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Highbanked Hauler

Body lines on these cars were nothing  to brag about even new. With mine the drivers door top would rub the quarter and there was always a shiny spot there. When the car was on a lift it would bind the right door so it could not be opened. The deck lid would almost touch on the right side quarter because it had to be in that position or it would hit the top panel  and the list could go on but for me it is what it is. I do stand in awe of your "make it fit" skill and ambition .. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

5hunert

Wow, better than new!  I just checked my 500s trunk lid, not only does it have the same gap yours showed, the decklid is also slightly flatter so the center of the deck lid is also is a little lower level than the plug as well. 

wingcarenvy

panhead

69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Daytona R/T SE

This 500 is in the latest Mopar Collector's Guide.  :coolgleamA:

odcics2

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on April 28, 2015, 09:09:25 PM
Thanks guys for all of the comments.  I have been busy the last few days and have not had a chance to check the forum.  Wow!... up to 11 500's from Grand Spaulding!  That's the first I've heard of that.  I would like to know all of the color combos.  When I talked to Randy, for the article, I told him that I didn't know for sure if it was the same car (as the car in the famous photo), but there is a possibility that it could be.  Other than the car in the picture appearing like B7 blue (which I have not seen before), the car I am working on and the one in the photo share all the same characteristics.  And I told him that I didn't know if anyone could ever prove that they were the same car.  Unless the person who took the picture said "the 500 in the photo belonged to me and I just purchased it from the dealer"... then I don't think anyone will ever know for sure.  He told me that people would have a harder time proving that it ISN'T the same car as in the photo.  I guess it's kind of like the glass being half empty or half full.

Here's a B7 500. Note the bar that's visible in the interior is B5.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?