News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mr. Norm 1969 Charger 500 Restoration

Started by CornDogsCharger, April 23, 2014, 04:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 25, 2014, 10:21:59 AM
I have a blown up picture of that pic off of the original negative. I'll see if I can identify the color. I am sure Norm sold more than 3 or 4 500's. Not all the paperwork was salavaged by Larry.

That would be great. I think Danny mention that he did not have any records of a B7 Blue C500, but I'm not possitive.  I would have thought Mr Norm would have sold more than 2 but who knows. This car sat on the lot for a while... maybe they didn't sell as good as he would have thought. It would be nice talk with him about the car because he seems pretty sharp on remembering details, from what I've gathered.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

odcics2

Quote from: RallyeMike on April 24, 2014, 09:22:09 PM
The 500 in front of Mr/ Norms looks a lot darker than B5, but perhaps it's the age of the photo? Seems like it will be next to impossible to prove it IS that car, but sure would be neat.

I vote for B7...    :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

CornDogsCharger

I originally thought it was B7 too but I studied the picture and, in my opinion, it is now a toss up between B5 and B7. But I am leaning towards B5.  I think this because 1. The photo that you commonly see is old and the quality of color is not very accurate... and 2. You can not go by the passenger side of the car, due to a heavy shadow.  Just look at the red Super Bee. The best spot is to focus on the rear valance of the car.  I would like to see a very high quality clear version of this picture. Either way, it's still pretty cool that this car was sold new at Grand Spaulding.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

held1823

a good clue to how "off" the blue is, is the mailbox on the right
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

I was wondering about the mailbox color too but wasn`t sure if they had changed over the years or not.

odcics2

Valid points!!     :cheers:

I know a certain car that looks different in various vintage color photos, too!   

69_500

Let me dig around a bit and see if I have a better copy of that picture. I know I have one that is super sized. It is blown up to 6'x8'. Bought it to hang in barn once it is finished.

Ghoste

6 foot by 8 foot!!??  Thats enormous!  :o

tan top

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on April 24, 2014, 07:09:09 PM
Quote from: tan top on April 24, 2014, 04:12:39 PM
wonder how many C500s were sold from MR Norms , did he still have all the invoices etc still of all the cars he sold , or have I imagined this  :P

Well, when I spoke with Larry Weiner about the paperwork, he told me that he purchased all of the boxes of paperwork from the dealership.  He went inside and rescued boxes and boxes full of stuff.  He said, at the time, homeless people had gotten into the building and used some of the papers to start fires, wipe themselves, etc.  So as far as 'actual numbers' of cars... it's hard to say for sure.  He did tell me that in all of the records that he acquired, he only showed records on two Charger 500s being sold at GS.  I started a post the other day asking about another Mr Norm C500 that I found on the net and it appears that particular car was originally F8 Green. ( http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109377.0.html )  The car I am working on was originally B5 Blue with black interior, white stripe, and Road Wheels... just like the car in the old picture posted above.  I'm not positive, and would like to research it a little more, but I believe this could be the same car.  The picture was taken in the Fall of 1969.  Grand Spaulding purchased this car on Jul 25, 1969 from Chrysler and did not sell the car until Apr 27, 1970... so it is very possibly that this is the same car in the picture.

Justin
"CornDog"

:cheers:
oh right ,  could well be the same car  , although like whats been mentioned  looks darker B7  , but  old pictures , with the lighting & scans of could make things look way off  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

GL#10

My vote is for it being the same car  , is the owner going to go back bone stock original with it ??

CornDogsCharger

The car will be restored back to 100% stock in appearance.  The only thing that will be altered is the engine internals.  We usually clean up the ports a little, gaskets match the openings, will sometimes add roller lifters and rockers, install a mild cam, and balance the rotating assembly.  Nothing radical though... all in all, it will be a very tight and responsive engine.  Like I said, other than that, everything will be stone stock... even the polyglass red line tires.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on April 25, 2014, 08:46:58 PM
I was wondering about the mailbox color too but wasn`t sure if they had changed over the years or not.

Here's a vintage unrestored 1960s stamp dispenser!   Note the "Post Office Blue" !
All one has to do is adjust the original Charger 500 photo color so the mailbox matches this photo and the car should be
closer to the real color.   May not be exact, but closer...   :Twocents:

CornDogsCharger

Good reference photo!  My brother does graphic design knows photoshop very well. I'll see if he can adjust the color on the GS photo.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

My brother played with the color a bit and this is what he came up with. Still too hard to tell 100%

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

UFO

Quote from: 69_500 on April 26, 2014, 02:56:53 PM
It is blown up to 6'x8'. Bought it to hang in barn once it is finished.

Just read the vin off this photo. :lol:

68pplcharger

odcics2

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on April 29, 2014, 12:41:55 PM
My brother played with the color a bit and this is what he came up with. Still too hard to tell 100%

Justin
"CornDog"

I'll tell ya what - that leasing sign blue is dead nuts on.

69_500

Might be a while before I can dig my large print out. It is back in a corner. My plan was to get it out once the out building is built. But with a kid on the way this year, it might get pushed off for a bit.

Ghoste

They have a way of doing that.  (and congratulations  :cheers:)

r4daytona

You guys always impress me with your knowledge and resources, not to hijack this thread about this 500, but anybody have a picture on the 1969 sales show in St. Louis - Gene told me my car was there.   Great 500 and looking forward to the history on this car.

CornDogsCharger

Just a few parts will need replacing....

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Ghoste

fy469rtse

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on April 30, 2014, 08:49:48 PM
Just a few parts will need replacing....

Justin
"CornDog"

Didn't the "Bluesmobile" look like that at the end of the movie?
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Dave Kanofsky

Too bad you aren't working on this Mr. Norm's Charger 500...

(http://www.nhra.com/blog/dragster-insider/)

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)