News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ballast resister

Started by helofire, April 25, 2014, 01:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helofire

Have a 69 charger that someone changed over to electronic ignition. The other day I was under the hood with the key on but not running. I happened to touch the ballast resister and it was so hot that if u left your fingers on it u would be burned. Checked voltage in one side 10.5 and 5.5 on the other. They have a 4 pin resister installed. I have gotten some wiring diagrams off the web and it appears to be hooked up correctly. I have also read that the coil might be a problem. Here again I don't want to start throwing parts at it and hope for the best, so I'm sure someone out there in Chrysler land has an answer that hopefully they are willing to share. Thanking the helpful soul in advance.

ODZKing

Which EI system is it?  That was one of the problems with the Pertronix system. If you left the key in the accessory position too long, it woould burn the electronics up!   :eek2:

A383Wing

resistor will get hot with key on or engine running...it's normal...reducing voltage to coil causes heat

Pete in NH

Hi,

You mentioned a 4 pin ballast resistor so, I think you're talking about a Chrysler system. Those resistors do get hot, that is why they are in a ceramic body. If you touch something that is over 140 F you will pull your finger away quickly. Too hot to touch, but not anywhere near too hot for the ceramic material. The worst case for those resistors as A383wing said is the key on but the engine not running. Your voltage readings look normal for those conditions.

helofire

Thanks for the three reply's so far. Yes, it is a Chrysler electronic system. It was already changed over when I got the car. I have been working on issues as time allows. Like I said I never touched one before and I just wanted to make sure there was not a problem with the way it was hooked up. Thanks again, nice to be able to get some advice from people who might have had the same issues.

Troy

Yep, they get hot! The electricity moving through the ballast has no idea if the engine is running or not.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.