News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfaitalia

.....it's the "absolutely no warning" that pissed me off!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

chargerperson

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 16, 2017, 02:02:11 PM
.....it's the "absolutely no warning" that pissed me off!

This thread was a literal how to build a perfect restomod 68 charger.  Every time I see it in the future i will be reminded of Photobucket's approach to their customers!

keepat

With the bodywork close to being finished I started fitting the bumpers. Both ends needed to bent out a fraction to be parallel with the quarter panel. Then I cut about a 1/4" off of each side for a better fit. Paul's Chrome will de-chrome the bumpers and then finish the welding, they will also weld on the studs for the mounts.
Thanks
Pat

Right side before

Left side after

Lennard

Going to look great!  I'm doing the same thing but my bumpers are fiberglass.

alfaitalia

Nice...I also want mine to have   more "modern" fit. But the chrome is going.....I'm going to be painting them body colour. Partly because I like that look when I've seen it done on this forum and partly because it's way cheaper than rechroming..at least around here!
Still following your build with interest...and still stealing your ideas! (and many other builders ideas if I'm honest!). One of the problems with this forum is I keep seeing great ideas, changing my plans and slowing stuff down even further...never mind!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

orange383

This is looking great. I'm liking all the mods done to this car.  :coolgleamA:

keepat

Quote from: Lennard on July 22, 2017, 09:29:00 PM
Going to look great!  I'm doing the same thing but my bumpers are fiberglass.

Fiberglass bumpers will give you a lot more options to customize the fit, look forward to seeing it on your car.
Thanks

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 23, 2017, 03:02:40 AM
Nice...I also want mine to have   more "modern" fit. But the chrome is going.....I'm going to be painting them body colour. Partly because I like that look when I've seen it done on this forum and partly because it's way cheaper than rechroming..at least around here!
Still following your build with interest...and still stealing your ideas! (and many other builders ideas if I'm honest!). One of the problems with this forum is I keep seeing great ideas, changing my plans and slowing stuff down even further...never mind!

I think the painted bumpers on most chargers looks really nice, and it certainly saves a ton of money!
Thanks

Quote from: orange383 on July 23, 2017, 06:30:46 AM
This is looking great. I'm liking all the mods done to this car.  :coolgleamA:

Thank you
Pat

mike69440

I vote for nice chrome, If somewhat ill fitting bumpers. Bumper bolts and all. 

If left as be to me they would be just fine.

The bumper supports weigh a ton.  Maybe send some time with aluminum fab replacements?

Lennard

The front bumper brackets weigh 25 pounds and the rear brackets weigh 6 pounds. If I remember well, Pat made carbon fiber brackets.

keepat

The front bumper is now ready to head to the Paul's. Cut about 3/4 of an inch out of the front 3/8" from each side.
Thanks
Pat

Before

After

Before

After

RCCDrew

v21hemicharger

You might want to fit the grille. My original fits pretty tight

keepat

Quote from: v21hemicharger on July 30, 2017, 12:36:25 PM
You might want to fit the grille. My original fits pretty tight

I will mount the grille soon to test the fit of the grille lower corners at the bumper.
Thanks
Pat

keepat

With moving the rear bumper tighter to the car I had to shave the bumper guards to fit the lower valance. Started by removing the lower mounting tab and grinding away approximately 3/16" on the bottom edge to clear the valance. Then welding the tab back on.
Thanks
Pat

Here you can see how much I needed to grind off

VegasCharger

Nice work Pat.  :2thumbs:

I don't think that this will effect the rear license plate positioning will it?

:cheers:

keepat

Quote from: VegasCharger on July 30, 2017, 11:20:52 PM
Nice work Pat.  :2thumbs:

I don't think that this will effect the rear license plate positioning will it?

:cheers:

License plate fit with little modification to the lower tag bumper.
Thanks
Pat 

Charger_Fan

Nice work on the bumpers! It's amazing how much cleaner it looks with the bumpers tucked in like that.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

keepat

Quote from: Charger_Fan on August 01, 2017, 02:44:10 PM
Nice work on the bumpers! It's amazing how much cleaner it looks with the bumpers tucked in like that.

Yes for such a small modification it add such a huge visual difference to the car, but yet most won't know it been modified.
Thank you
Pat

keepat

Front valance required more work than the tail panel as there were a lot of factory imperfections. Someone also cut a couple of notches that required welding, just when I thought I was done with all the metalwork. Back to the block sanding :-(
Thanks
Pat

Lennard

BDF

keepat

I took a little break from the block sanding and bodywork and started making the aluminum front bumper brackets. Made a paper template of the driver side mounts and was very surprised when I flip the template inside out and it fit perfectly on the passenger side mounts. Need to do some welding and bend up the other 3 mounts.
Thanks
Pat

mike69440

Quote from: keepat on August 19, 2017, 09:05:12 PM
I took a little break from the block sanding and bodywork and started making the aluminum front bumper brackets. Made a paper template of the driver side mounts and was very surprised when I flip the template inside out and it fit perfectly on the passenger side mounts. Need to do some welding and bend up the other 3 mounts.
Thanks
Pat

You are an excellent talented fabricator.  What grade aluminum did you use.  Will you box the brackets?

Charger_Fan

Pat...seriously, and I don't mean to come across as "sucking up", but DAMN! You, sir, really know your metal working skills! I am so envious of what you are able to accomplish from start to finish. You merely look at a piece & are able to map it out in your head, much like it would be on paper...then you go ahead & sketch it on paper, transfer it to a blank metal surface & you're off and running! Genius.  :2thumbs:

Part of my daily grind is to do damage estimates, because I have a good eye for imperfections & details. I see things that most people miss, and through your photos & comments, I am able to see a bit of what you see when you are transferring angles & dimensions to paper. The thing that separates us is that my brain can't make my hands do what your brain can make your hands do. Make any sense?  :) For example, I have built two custom Autorama show motorcycles, a few years back, one took 1st place for people's choice (pretty excited that year), and I made many one-off pieces for both bikes. But I made those pieces by envisioning my idea for an item, then cutting/hammering out a bracket, or piece, from what I had in my mind. I never put my idea to paper. So when I see you sketch out your idea on paper & make it happen on metal, to me, that's truly amazing. I wish I could do that.

Anyway, apologies for blathering on, continue with your project. I would really love to see your car, and your work one day. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

keepat

Quote from: mike69440 on August 19, 2017, 10:10:41 PM
Quote from: keepat on August 19, 2017, 09:05:12 PM
Thanks
Pat

You are an excellent talented fabricator.  What grade aluminum did you use.  Will you box the brackets?

I used 5000 series aluminum it can be bend without cracking.  Don't plan on boxing it but I will add a few reinforcements for added strength.  Hard to see in the photos but I actually made the large oval slightly bigger than the original so that I can run a 1 1/2" brake cooling hose through it to the disc brakes.
Thank you
Pat