News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Champion plugs

Started by 66FBCharger, May 07, 2014, 06:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I searched for what plugs people are running in their 440s. The winner seems to be NGK.
What is wrong with Champion plugs? Is it that there is nothing wrong with Champions, its just that the NGKs are a lot better?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ghoste

Champion quality went in the toilet when they switched production to Mexico.  I'm a diehard and have been lucky so far using them but I've heard some bad stories.

ODZKing

Never had a problem with Champions.
J11Y I believe is what it calls for and that crosses to Champion 14 - RJ12YC Nickel Spark Plug.
They are affordable enough that I replace them every other season, needed or not.

firefighter3931

Basicly what Ghoste said ; quality took a nosedive once production left America.  :P  I've seen a few pics of plugs with missing electrodes that fell off/out of the body. That was enough for me.  :eek2:  :lol:

NGK is a high quality plug and they stay cleaner, longer and rarely foul unless there is a major tuning issue. Been recommending them to the members here for years with excellent feedback and results.  :2thumbs:

For an iron headed 383/440 running on pump gas....the NGK XR5 is tough to beat  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger496

What NGK would go in a 383 stroker motor with Eddy aluminum heads? I have Champions in it now, but I'm due for new ones...

ottawamerc

And what about proper plugs for my 440 with Eddy heads? I have Accel 416S in there now.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

myk

....And what's a good starting gap for fine tuning?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

justcruisin

The recommended plug for the eddy heads is a RC-12YC champion which is a BCPR5ES NGK. I use the NGK BCPR6ES as I find the 5's a bit hot.

firefighter3931

Quote from: justcruisin on May 21, 2014, 03:25:24 PM
The recommended plug for the eddy heads is a RC-12YC champion which is a BCPR5ES NGK. I use the NGK BCPR6ES as I find the 5's a bit hot.

:iagree: The BCPR-6ES is the "go to" plug for Edelbrock RPM's and pump gas compression  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger4404spd

Will that plug work with Eddy heads on a blown engine? :coolgleamA:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on May 22, 2014, 01:04:25 PM
Will that plug work with Eddy heads on a blown engine? :coolgleamA:

Steve,

Boost & increased cylinder pressure changes things....we'll be using a colder plug in that application.  ;)

Ron

Charger4404spd

ottawamerc

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 22, 2014, 10:20:48 AM

:iagree: The BCPR-6ES is the "go to" plug for Edelbrock RPM's and pump gas compression  :yesnod:

Ron

RON THE WIZARD :notworthy:

I installed those plugs and there is a HUGE difference even at idle over the old Accel plugs The A/F gauge is steady and much richer now, I have turned both needles back in a 1/2 turn to bring it back to low 14's. I'm anxious to try it on the road now too I'm assuming that it will be richer all across the board now :scratchchin: Oh yeah and Ron in my excitement of the improvement I forgot to measure my coil wire. I'll do it this morn.

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

firefighter3931

Quote from: ottawamerc on May 23, 2014, 06:34:53 AM

:iagree: The BCPR-6ES is the "go to" plug for Edelbrock RPM's and pump gas compression  :yesnod:

Ron

RON THE WIZARD :notworthy:

I installed those plugs and there is a HUGE difference even at idle over the old Accel plugs The A/F gauge is steady and much richer now, I have turned both needles back in a 1/2 turn to bring it back to low 14's. I'm anxious to try it on the road now too I'm assuming that it will be richer all across the board now :scratchchin: Oh yeah and Ron in my excitement of the improvement I forgot to measure my coil wire. I'll do it this morn.

Cool Stuff Scott  :2thumbs:

I knew as soon as I cross referenced those 416's that they were too warm for your combo. I'll be surprised if it still detonates with the NGK 6's and the proper AFR dialed in. Can't see that happening based on past experiences with similar builds.  ;)

Keep us up to speed on your progress.  :cheers:

Ron

Ps. When you get the coil wire length figured out send me a pm and we'll get you a set of FireCore Pro-Fit HEI 8.5mm wires for that beast.  :devil:

ODZKing

I was at a car show on Sunday and after our discussion here about plugs I happend to notice a fellow in the swap meet that had lots of NOS parts that (guessing) he purchased from a Chrysler dealer that went out of business.
In any case he had PLUGS! Many with the "M" and Mopar logo on the but he had a bunch of OLDER Champions.
I dug and dug and managed to find 8 - RJ12YC.  At $1.00 each I would have bought all he had if I could have found more.  Not one has the Federal Mogul logo on them so I believe they are all old Champions!!!! Real ones!
I'm set for the next change.

ODZKing

Which now leads me to another plug question.  My 73 service manual clearly states J11Y for a plug crossing to the RJ12YC and NGK's as mentioned previously.
My 67 manual suggests (3) different plugs.  J13Y (*and if not available J12Y) and also J11Y. 
So ... the obvious question here ... what is the difference?  And what is the best for a stock 67 - 383 - 4bbl?

Ghoste

The 11 is the colder plug.  How does it run now, does it foul plugs, run hot?

ODZKing

Quote from: Ghoste on May 28, 2014, 01:53:39 PM
The 11 is the colder plug.  How does it run now, does it foul plugs, run hot?
For the very first time since I owed the 67, 2 years ago it fouled 1 plug. And I believe I had RJ14YC in there which I believe is the J13Y.
As with any 60's Mopar, the only time it runs warm or even hot is sitting in traffic at idle.

Ghoste

I like a colder plug when I can get away with it but if the recommended range has worked for you so far I'd likely continue with it.

mopar0166

Ron

What type of gap, im running RJ12YC at about .50   how are they better performance , durability etc?

ACUDANUT

So for a standard 440/383 NKG J11Y is the answer ?

mopar0166

sorry I forgot to say im runnin msd,  440 is bored .30 rpm performer package, 10.5.1 compress etc

ODZKing

My question still remains, what is the difference?  Hotter plug in a car that doesn't require or vise-versa?
Advantage or disadvantage ... what happens if ... ?   :shruggy:

mopar0166

I just got mine running better on  new set of champions, so we will see how they do , if they foul I may try ngk's next time

justcruisin

ODZking
Running too hot a plug can get you into detonation area. There is no point in heating up the plug and chamber by running a plug hotter than is needed for a complete burn. I found on my 440 that the 5's were showing a small amount of peppering on the plug, a swap to 6's solved the problem. You should have 2-3 threads of discoloration on the plug. Some combos will need different plugs but you are better off going for the colder plug first if unsure. If the plug is too hot it will break down before its time or if its too cold it may foul.