News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door handle mechanism not working, gotta pull the door panel...

Started by Moparman01, May 13, 2014, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparman01

It may be a General Lee but i don't like having to climb in and out of the window, the door mechanism just stopped working recently. It acts like it locked. Question is, before i go and ruin my door panel, how do i safely take the door panel out with out hurting it?? Probably a dumb question, but i've never had to pull the door panels before. Thanks!

bill440rt

Remove the armrest & base, window crank, & inside handle. No need to take off the upper door panel.
Get yourself a set of plastic pry tools. Found a decent set at Harbor Freight & Junk for under $10 bucks. They work fine. Start at a top corner & gradually work around the panel working loose the clips. Should come off relatively easy. Take your time not to damage the panel.

Pry tools look like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Piece-Trim-Molding-Door-Panel-Removal-Tool-Kit-Plastic-Pry-Tools-/150990203874?hash=item2327b7abe2&item=150990203874&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

What Bill said!

Also be aware that the door cards are pretty weak and break easily so when you use the pry tool, go very slow and watch for creases forming.  Stick another plastic pry tool right there to disperse the load.  Once a few clips are out of the frame resist all urge to grab the panel and try to pull it off.  You will find yourself inventing some swear words shortly after.  Do it right and the panel will come off unharmed and within a minute.  Let us know if you run into trouble.  The lock itself will be an easy fix, one of the retainer clips likely fell off so the lock is now immobilized.  You may need to look for it in the bottom of the door.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.