News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

show me your stereos

Started by c00nhunterjoe, May 14, 2014, 06:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Looking for how others did modern radio equipment, specificly the front. I have already installed 6x9's in the rear package tray. I would like to put something nice up front. Anyone installed anything in the doors?

Lord Warlock

I decided to do something a little different, instead of cutting holes in the door panels or kick panels, i installed one of these on the inside of each front seat, almost centered on the rear board, and mounted one on the metal structure behind the kick panels in the floor.  I had a 5th one left over and put it on the crossbar behind the rear seat, wired to the factory stereo wiring from the front rear fader.  They don't need a lot of power to sound nice, and the feedback you get in your back makes it feel like you have a subwoofer installed as you feel each beat of the music.  I haven't hooked up the new amplifier and Head unit yet, but I have tested the speakers with an IPOD and a small 50wpc amp, can't wait to hear the system with everything hooked up, I have a small subwoofer with two 8 inch woofers and horn tweeters shooting thru the back seat, and two 5x7 coax speakers in the rear tray, I intend to power the 4 exciters with the 50wpc internal amp power, and the rear deck and sub box with the external amp that puts out 75wpc x 4 RMS. 

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-daex58fp-flat-pack-58mm-exciter-25w-8-ohm--295-210

I tried them out a couple years ago in my daughters miata mounting a pair under the package tray in the trunk area, and they sound better than the door speakers do.  The only thing to avoid is connecting them to an outside body panel, as they will make the whole surface act like a speaker and people outside the car will hear it just like you do inside the car.  They actually sounded better attached to the inside of the trunk lid on the miata but it was too loud outside of the car so opted to use the package tray location.  When the daughter leaves for college in the fall, I intend on installing one in each seat back, just like i did in the charger, it makes the whole seat thump to the sound.  All from a speaker about 3x3. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

polywideblock

I've bought a set of these "under seat " speakers to use instead of cutting up interior  , haven't installed them yet   but they seem  well made

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Undercover-1-Speaker-Enclosures-by-Custom-Autosound-Compact-pair-120-watts-a-/221195893321?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33804d7a49

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

twodko

I suspect those will sound great.......and help keep you regular too.  :smilielol:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bill440rt

I bet they are very popular with women.  :D
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

XH29N0G

Quote from: bill440rt on May 16, 2014, 08:12:03 PM
I bet they are very popular with women.  :D
Quote from: twodko on May 16, 2014, 11:56:24 AM
I suspect those will sound great.......and help keep you regular too.  :smilielol:

:2thumbs:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Back N Black

I install my front speakers in the vent box's.

MoParJW

I made a bracket to replace the single dash speaker with dual 4 inch speakers and placed tweeters under the outboard speaker grilles, connected to the radio with crossovers.

The sound is ok but not great, maybe it has to do with the dash being angled towards the windshield?
I am also going to place speakers in the kick panels, I expect that to improve the sound a lot since modern cars all have speakers in that area.
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

bill440rt

I found that placing them in the kick panels was tough, there wasn't a speaker shallow enough available to clear the inside of the pillar. Especially on the driver's side, because there is also the parking brake pedal to contend with. IF you can find a speaker shallow enough, more than likely you will have to fabricate a custom speaker grille that sits flush to clear the pedal.
Mine went in the doors, but then again custom flush speaker grilles had to be fabricated in order to clear the window crank handles.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MoParJW

Good to know, I just assumed speakers would fit in the kick panels :scratchchin: I guess I will have to take accurate measurements before doing anything.

I thought about placing speakers in the doors but my door panels are too nice to cut up.

polywideblock

I thought about placing speakers in the doors but my door panels are too nice to cut up.

that's why I went with the underseat  set above  :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Dino

I'm placing mine in the doors.  If you just remove some of the cardboard material, you can leave the vinyl cover untouched.  The sound will come through just fine.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

Mine were repros. No guilt whatsoever.

Dino

Quote from: bill440rt on May 22, 2014, 07:05:10 AM

And there is nothing wrong with a nice looking speaker cover on the door panels either.  But as you said, when you have window cranks you need to be careful to clear them.

I used to have a car that had quite thick speaker covers on the doors and I remember hitting my fingers while cranking on more than one occasion.   :eek2:

MoParJW

Quote from: bill440rt on May 22, 2014, 07:05:10 AM

If I could get repro panels or an extra set I would probably install the speakers in the doors also, seems like the best location to me.

I found this thread on FBBO, think I'm going this way, the downside is you're limited to relatively small speakers http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?45081-kick-pannels-with-speakers&highlight=kick+panel

MoParJW

Quote from: polywideblock on May 22, 2014, 04:20:53 AM

that's why I went with the underseat  set above  :yesnod:

That's also something to consider, hidden speakers, let us know how they sound when you get them hooked up  :2thumbs:

Tilar

I kinda like that vent box idea too.  :2thumbs:  That along with those new radios with the original 68, 69 style face is probably going to be the way I go with mine.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Chargerrt340

I am looking at building a custom center console and adding small tweeters, speakers, no bigger than 3" to each side of the console. I was thinking about adding them above the trans tunnel tucked under the dash, aiming back towards the floor and feet. Even without a center console it could still be done.

6x9 in the rear bouncing forward of the glass with tuned tweeters aiming backwards. . . 
73 charger, 318, auto, 2.73 rear, 

I like the lost old school hot rod guy, intimidating muscle car vibe...I drive it because I built it and I know its bad ass... the kind that makes a mans jaw drop and a women's panties wet when you drive by... the car that screams respect..... to be continued...

tan top

heres  mine  :P   ;D   :lol:  AM only
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

Quote from: tan top on June 12, 2014, 03:37:00 PM
 heres  mine  :P   ;D   :lol:  AM only

Nice volt gauge you got there.   :coolgleamA:   :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: tan top on June 12, 2014, 03:37:00 PM
 heres  mine  :P   ;D   :lol:  AM only

:iagree:

Stock A/M set up.

Unfortunately, my car is too loud.....I doubt installing a nice stereo would be worth the effort.