News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd Gen Initial 4 spd Console Installation

Started by twenty mike mike, May 17, 2014, 07:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twenty mike mike

My '69 didn't have a center console and I'm trying to install one as part of my auto to 4 spd swap.

I've been collecting the pieces for a while, and I got the AMD console brackets over a year ago. Now that it's time to start figuring out where exactly they need to go, it appears that the left sides of the center and rear brackets are way too long, since they won't hold the console anywhere close to level.

For someone with an original 4 spd console installation, and who happens to have the console out, if you could measure the distance between bends on the two left legs, as well as the distance between the tunnel and the bottom of the brackets, I'd really appreciate it.

Even for someone with an automatic, the rear one is the same, so if I could get those dimensions, that would be a start.

Thanks.

moparnut

Im in the process of reinstalling my 4 spd console in my 69.Just finished the carpet but can still get some measurements. Will look again ,but think there is a seem in the floor pan that you could use to measure from.Im not very computer savybut could get some pictures up toward the end of the week.   moparnut

twenty mike mike

:cheers:

These are the measurements I'm looking for.

moparnut

Went out and measured a few things tonight,I see you have your 4spd hump welded in.I hooked my tape inside the hump and pulled 4 1/2  inches to the start of the first bracket.. Then hook the front bracket and measure back17 1/2 to the start of the second bracket. Open you passenger side door and hook your tape on the pinch weld that sticks up off the rocker,both brackets are 28 1/2 inches over.both brackets are parallel with the rocker pinch weld 28 1/2 to the start of the bracket. Hope it helps   moparnut        Im not sure if you still want the measurements in your post the distance up  the side was 5 3/8. The distance from the bracket to the top of the hump was 1 3/8

twenty mike mike

Thank you, that helps a lot.

Can you measure the the left side leg of the third bracket?

Is the 1 3/8" measurement from the hump to the bracket with the carpet in place, or from the metal?

moparnut

Measurements are from the metal.  moparnut

twenty mike mike

PlainfieldCharger

I had to reinstall my brackets as they were removed for some reason. I screwed the new brackets to the console, put the shift lever in the shift mechanism installed the 4 speed plate with the boot on it :2thumbs: and placed the assembled assembly in perfect position and marked the brackets there... worked really well. :2thumbs:

twenty mike mike

Thanks, I tried that first, using many reference pictures from this site, as well as this...

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?50077-1969-console-location

However, the console ended up leaning to the right, evidently due to the left legs of the brackets being too long.

My picture shows the mark I made on the left side of the tunnel.

Did you use AMD brackets?

PlainfieldCharger

Yes, I used the AMD brackets. Do you have it offset towards the driver side? If you put the brackets out of alignment with the console too much it will stress it and crack it. I do remember having to bend the ends a little bit to make all the brackets get a decent foot print on the floor boards. Nice and solid mount with the console determining the exact location and height. :Twocents:

twenty mike mike

Yes, I marked the center of the car as a basic guide, and since the tunnel is offset to the right, that offsets the console to the left.

Using the picture references, I finally got it in what I think is the proper position and level. The right foot of the center bracket will have to be shimmed a little. Boy, was I fooled, thinking the brackets would conform to the shape of the car.

Thanks for your help.

PlainfieldCharger

Put your shift lever and boot on the make sure. If the boot sits square with the shift lever in it, that is where I would put it. :Twocents: :2thumbs:

moparnut

Good to hear you got it installed. Was just thinking about seat belts, If bench seat   belts are in the same location. My car has  the lap belt and the shoulder harness that hangs  up along the headliner just above the door.You would think that bench or bucket  seat, would not change belt location.  :scratchchin:  moparnut