News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wing car movie

Started by Ghoste, May 22, 2014, 02:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Sorry if this came up already, but apparently they are about to start filming a movie about the wing cars?  Anyone know more about this?

Ghoste

Oh wow, cool.  So this is a legit thing then.

Aero426

I don't know much more than you do at this point.    What I do know is that it is not a documentary.    They have built/are building some replica cars.   

odcics2

And Larry Rathgeb wants nothing to do with embellishments...

Note: "An engineer named Larry".   (no last name...) 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

Which means they are embellishing?

odcics2

A383Wing

I wonder how much "stuff or info" is gonna be wrong?

Ghoste

The story is already larger than life just in the mythical stature it took on in the car hobby.  The true story is fantastic enough without "embellishing".

Aero426

Quote from: A383Wing on May 22, 2014, 07:05:47 PM
I wonder how much "stuff or info" is gonna be wrong?

One of the people involved is a long time wing car owner.   So it may be ok.    Personally, I would much prefer to see a straight up documentary.    

Often, these kind of movies tend to be cheesy.    I give you a short clip from the Alan Kulwicki movie. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBXGF7Xu7j8

A383Wing

Daytona Guy

I hope they talk about the 70 Charger Daytona RT SE  :yesnod:

Dane

wingcar

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

True enough isn't it?

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: odcics2 on May 22, 2014, 04:25:59 PM

Note: "An engineer named Larry".   (no last name...)  

Could it be??

Cooter

I saw the grab line on a poster the other day.

"Winged Warriors, way ahead of his time, Larry designed the grossly huge rear wing and Corvette nose and started a whole F&F franchise"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Not too sensationalistic is it?  ::)

odcics2

LOL, since 'Larry" didn't design the nose and wing....      :Twocents:

Cooter

Wasn't talking bout that 'Larry'.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

crj1968

Quote from: Aero426 on May 22, 2014, 07:35:30 PM

Often, these kind of movies tend to be cheesy.   

Uhhh.....yep!  Well even with bad acting at least there may be some cool cars in this WW film.

Ghoste

And some good high speed footage.  Although its likely to be all cgi.

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on May 30, 2014, 05:19:59 AM
And some good high speed footage.  Although its likely to be all cgi.

Remember when you were a kid and took a 33 1/3 LP and played it at 45?     :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Mike DC

They would speed up the footage.  No question.  

Every movie does it.  It's not noticeable when they do it, it's noticeable when they OVER-do it.  It's been this way since the early days of cinema.  Running footage double-speed looks obviously fake.  But just adding an extra 15 or 20 mph onto a shot that is already pretty fast  . . . that usually works fine.  

In the case of NASCARS they could probably shoot stuff at around 130mph and show it going 180mph in the final cut.  Very few people would spot that.  Another 60mph added on sounds like a ton, but it's not really huge proportionally.  (There are shots in "Bullitt" and "Vanishing Point" cranked up in that proportion.)  And NASCARS don't do much in terms of big obvious movements, which is the main giveaway.

Ghoste

I always thought a lot of the Bullitt and Vanishing Point stuff looked too awkward but then as a car guy I maybe look for it more than the average viewer too.

Mike DC

QuoteI always thought a lot of the Bullitt and Vanishing Point stuff looked too awkward but then as a car guy I maybe look for it more than the average viewer too.

Vanishing Point shows a little during the banjo-music chase (where the police car rolls at the end).  I think they erred just a bit too fast on the footage in that chase, at least as far as realism is concerned.  Although the mojo of the faster footage was artistically right for the scene.

The VP crew have always admitted that they used sped-up footage for some of the epic wide shots of the car tearing across the desert.  It doesn't really show in those scenes, though.  That kind of shot was perfectly suited to speeding up.  

I've watched some of these chases in (what I think is close to) their real speeds.  Modern video software makes it easy to slow down footage in small increments, smooth out the frames when the footage is running slow, etc. After seeing it that way I can understand why they speed it up.  It's not just how many miles per hour the car is going, it's the overall look of the movement.  The cars start to look so much more light/agile/nimble whenever the footage is even slightly faster than reality.

Ghoste

DCML is supposed to be shot all at real speed (according to the director anyway) and I thought it looked fine at that speed.  But what do I know?  :shruggy:  It's all good.

Mike DC

DMCL was the typical slighty-sped-up deal.  Not reality, but not too far off either. 

I agree, it looks fine how it is.  I would not prefer it to be slowed down to real speed.     

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on June 04, 2014, 06:47:46 AM
DCML is supposed to be shot all at real speed (according to the director anyway) and I thought it looked fine at that speed.  But what do I know?  :shruggy:  It's all good.

yeah I thought that too !! in the interview with him he made a great point of it being  shot & run at actual speed  :scratchchin: , never noticed any dust etc falling settling too fast , but i'm no expert besides too bust looking at the car trying to figure out if there was more than 3 cars used  :lol: :scratchchin: :P :scope:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mike DC

The DMCL drivers & crew were not using the film speed for an excuse to drive any slower.  They were clearly going full-blast all the time.  The subtle extra film speed was just boosting what the cars could physically do. 

That change in attitude is what set apart the legendary 60s/70s car chases from the previous stuff.