News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just received my new repo R/T dash emblems, not bad Chris :)

Started by 8WHEELER, March 15, 2006, 04:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8WHEELER

Chris sent me the info on these dash R/T emblems for covering up the hole in the center of
the dash on 68's. I have been looking for an original one for years with no luck. They came on Coronet
R/T's, but I think they look great on our Chargers as well. They are $35.00 for the first one and
$30.00ea if you buy more than one, not to bad. They are using very thin double back tape type
material. He says it can be taken on and off about 10 times before needing new tape. His add is in MCG.

Thought maybe some of you might be interested.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

8WHEELER

Chris do you have a close up of your original unit?? he said he could not do the chrome as well
as the originals around the R/T part and the outside. Also he could not get the backside
clips to work that hold it in place on the original , so he had to use the tape.

Dan

Shakey

I recall you guys talking about how hard they are to find.  Nice to see someone making the effort to produce them.  I'll put it on my list of things to get, after everything else is done.

Thanks for the info Dan.

BMC440

Nice looking piece. Does anyone have a picture of it on the car?

Nacho-RT74

sorry to be honest and say this but:

IT LOOKS LIKE A PIECE OF S***T

my two cents.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

694spdRT

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 15, 2006, 12:22:10 PM

my two cents.

Dang, tell us how you really feel  :o

The originals looked a bit different as you know Dan....

The "R/T" itself is a embossed, raised font thet is adonized red, black & chrome.
The plastic is chromed as well.

That one looks like a screen print & a silver painted plastic? 

Ill take mine off and take a close up pic of it......
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Here are a few pics and a pic of my "retaining mechanism" (velcro)....dont kill me but I actually cut off the mounting tabs  :-\

The original part # is 2889611 by the way.....

Overall the repro doesnt look too bad but is a bit pricey IMHO

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Silver R/T

where does it go actually. I do not remember where it can go on dash in a Charger....
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Old Moparz

Good photos for comparing, thanks. I don't know if I'd go as far as saying the new one looks like s**t, but it is a bit different. Side by side I think the quality is about the same, & one doesn't appear worse than the other to me.

I'd consider making one of these for that spot:  :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

8WHEELER

my two cents.

:rotz: :rotz:  a third Gen owner would not understand how hard they are to find, and if you do $250.00 to $300.00
for an original. And when you put it up on the dash, where it sits, just 1in under the dash housing in the shadows,
$30.00 is not bad and it will look fine in that dark area.

Dan

8WHEELER

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 15, 2006, 03:53:14 PM
where does it go actually. I do not remember where it can go on dash in a Charger....

Right in between the speedo and tack on a 68.

Dan

8WHEELER

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 15, 2006, 03:43:02 PM
Here are a few pics and a pic of my "retaining mechanism" (velcro)....dont kill me but I actually cut off the mounting tabs  :-\

Chris, you are one of the few that really understand how hard it is to find an original, and that there evan was one.
Evan though they were for a 68 Coronet R/T only, I like the look on a Charger.......

Yeah like I said he tried to get it chromed like the original no luck. And tried to get the silver/chromed raised area
around the R/T and no luck there as well. I will get one in the car today '' AND BE HAPPY''  ;D
Breaking off the tabs  :'(  I know I know I remember you telling me that before, but ouch  :icon_smile_cool:

Dan

694spdRT

Maybe it would look more correct if round slugs of polished stainless steel were used. Then a vinyl or screen print like Chris mentioned could be placed over that. That is why I wondered what the diameter of the piece is.  

I am even thinking a modified dime or other coin might look good...plus a coin has the raised edge.

BTW: I think the R/T should have been standard on the Charger's and the repo piece Dan posted is good alternative to the impossible to find originals.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

8WHEELER

Sorry I forgot to say, they are about 1in in diameter.

Dan

694spdRT

Quote from: 8WHEELER on March 15, 2006, 04:41:41 PM
Sorry I forgot to say, they are about 1in in diameter.

Dan

Thanks. I have a Canadian and US quarter that measure 15/16" in diameter. I will take one to a sign and graphics guy I use a lot and see what he can come up with. The Canadian quarter has less prominant features on the face and would probably work best for covering with graphics.

I added a little black to the picture to get an idea of what it might look like. I think it has some potential using a nice shiny coin.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Doc74

Quote from: 8WHEELER on March 15, 2006, 04:32:54 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 15, 2006, 03:43:02 PM

Chris, you are one of the few that really understand how hard it is to find an original, and that there evan was one.
Evan though they were for a 68 Coronet R/T only, I like the look on a Charger.......

Yeah like I said he tried to get it chromed like the original no luck. And tried to get the silver/chromed raised area
around the R/T and no luck there as well. I will get one in the car today '' AND BE HAPPY''  ;D
Breaking off the tabs  :'(  I know I know I remember you telling me that before, but ouch  :icon_smile_cool:

Dan

I remember vividly having one in my 68, I looked at it every day for 5 years driving the thing all over the place and you know what, I never really was a big fan of it and at one point thought about replacing it with something like an R/T badge but since it wasn't one I never bothered  :icon_smile_big:

I had the entire cluster out one day after an electrical mishap (hot coffee over the dash) and now I wish I did remove the darn thing, the charger got destroyed with everything in it some years later, I could've made someone happy with it, no way I'd charge 300 bucks for a tiny badge, I gotta sleep at night.

Btw for what it's worth, the badge looks just fine 8wheeler

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mally69

8wheeler has a pic of his tach and his speedo i assume it goes where he has that little triangular shaped thing

HEY GUYS  i have a little round one that is red and black    all it is   is a black dot with a red circle around the the black dot what car  did this come from

ive been shuffling this thing around for 3 years didnt know where it is supposed to be   i know where it goes now

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 15, 2006, 05:04:38 PM
where does it mount at exactly?
Silver I thought you had a 68 Charger???  :scratchchin:

On 68's the screw hole between the tach & speedo has a rectangular cut out.  (69's & 70's just had the round hole)

In this cutout, the Dodge Triangle or the Bullseye medallion was mounted (on '68 Coronet R/T's the above mentioned R/T emblem was standard)

Me having a 69 bought an NOS R/T medallion about 7 years ago "just because"  to mount it to a 69 dash bezel without cuting out the rectangular hole in the bezel, I used a bit of velcro to attach it.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: mally69 on March 15, 2006, 05:50:52 PM

HEY GUYS i have a little round one that is red and black all it is is a black dot with a red circle around the the black dot what car did this come from

ive been shuffling this thing around for 3 years didnt know where it is supposed to be i know where it goes now

That is the "bullseye" style.   I dont think the rhyme or reason why it was either the triangle or the bullseye was settled yet
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mally69

well i have a 69 charger but i have a 68 face plates coulnt find 69 face plate BUT you guys are saying that all the chargers came with the bullseye or the triangle and the coronets came wit the r/t emblem correct ???

i had best keep my bullseye it does have a chrysler design on the back of it

8WHEELER

The 68 face plate came with the medallion, because it had a square hole in the dash where that center screw goes.
The 69 and 70 dashes don't have a square hole so the medallions don't work, unless you use Velcro or double back tape  ;D

Dan

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 8WHEELER on March 15, 2006, 04:10:54 PM

my two cents.

:rotz: :rotz: a third Gen owner would not understand how hard they are to find, and if you do $250.00 to $300.00
for an original. And when you put it up on the dash, where it sits, just 1in under the dash housing in the shadows,
$30.00 is not bad and it will look fine in that dark area.

Dan

Please don't missunderstand me... I'm telling that just because I'm really tired of bad quality repro parts, mostly of them not even close to originals, made just trying to fill an empty space... That's for any gen owner.

Sorry, I'm still hating the repro window weatherstrips I got from YO.

By the way, that piece could be done on the same place graves letters are made. Just need an original to make the cast. A friend of mine did that with his mach 1 Mustang emblems.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

8WHEELER

I can understand being frustrated with repro parts, I have seen a lot of poor quality stuff as well
so I know what you mean.

All I was pointing out was that you can buy one now, and he had told me all about the
chroming problems before I decided to buy them. He had also told me of the problems
with the no tabs on the back. He tried and tried he said but they were so small, they
would break off on him so he did not want to ship out something that broke on him.

So I decided to pay $30.00 so it, if I had spent $250.00 to $300.00 I would call it a piece of SH@*T.
And to tell you the truth, I had my camera 4in away at max when taking the picture, if you look at
them from over 3-4ft away like we do, they look much better.

I am going to try to chrome the outside edge better as well, I hope what I am going to try works.

Dan