News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Console Restoration Question...

Started by Moparman01, June 02, 2014, 04:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparman01

I just started the restoration process on my 68 Charger, have the interior gutted so far. Anyway, I gave the console to my dad to work on and clean up. It's in good shape except for one bad crack thru the peak toward the back of the console but we have patched it up and other than some of the texture was sanded away it should look ok once painted. My question is, there is supposed to be carpet under the stainless trim pieces correct? Where do you find them and are they glued on?

fy469rtse

Yes carpet, glued on to shape of stainless trim,
With the crack glue it, I fibreglass mine from behind , if your really good with an engraver, use a magnifying glass to repair pattern,

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

AKcharger

If I see a console with a repaired crack I know it's original, if there's no crack...you know it's a repro  :yesnod:

Moparman01

Great, yeah i found the console carpet at Year One, not bad price either! I'm keeping my console white, but they never came from the factory in white did they?? This is not an OEM restoration, so i'm not worried about correctness. I guess i will have to wait to get the pieces until i get the actual floor carpet so i can match the colors. I plan on using a dark red carpet for the floor and i see they do not make white carpet pieces for the console so i will likely go with red there as well. One more question, my console IS white but it looks to have been painted at one time, what would be the best paint to use for the console to re-spray it??

bill440rt

Typically the console matched the carpet color. Consoles did not come in white (tan would be the closest), so yours is painted.
If you plan on repainting it I would suggest some SEM Color Coat. It comes in a wide variety of colors and is designed for vinyl & plastic. It's available at most auto body supply stores. Nice product.

http://www.semproducts.com/color-coat-aerosols/

Krylon also makes paints designed for plastics, available at Home Depot, auto parts stores, etc. Haven't used them however so I can't comment on the quality.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Moparman01

Cool, thanks for the info, I didn't think the consoles ever came in white. So I'm still going to keep mine white, looks good to me. A friend of mine is restoring a 73 Challenger and he used the Kylon Plastic "Fusion" paint, the stuff worked great for him. He said it covered better and looks as good if not better than the actual interior paint products out there. I'm gonna give the Krylon Fusion a shot myself, I'll let you all know how it turns out!