News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Concours d'elegance of America

Started by 69_500, June 02, 2014, 08:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

I had talked to Doug about wanting to go to this show to see the aero car display. Thought there was already a thread about it, but could not find it anywhere. So are any of the rest of you guys planning on attending the show to view the cars? Looks like a car lovers dream with something to satisfy just about anyone's taste in cars.

69_500

Aero426

Bob Ashton is putting the ring together. It should be a nice group.

hemi68charger

This would be nice to go to.......  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

I'll be going and for the first time going back as far as when it was Meadowbrook, just as a spectator and not working so I'm looking forward to it.  They've always had a nice selection of cars with an emphasis on American performance that many concours events don't offer.

69_500

I will see you there then Ghoste.

Ghoste

held1823

this is just a W.A.G. on my part, but i suspect a local car will be part of the festivities
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69_500

Ernie, you dragging the Daytona up there?

held1823

Lord no, the only place mine is fit for dragging to is the junkyard.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

69_500

Feel freeto bring it to my place anytime you want.

Aero426

Got my packet the other day.   Now just have to change a water pump and clean up the engine bay mess from last year. 

69_500

We'll I guess they are in need of some cars to display that are not of the nicest appearance. So I will be bringing the 500 up to the show as well. Time to get the headliner replaced. Otherwise they may turn me around at the gate.

Mytur Binsdirti

69_500

Made arrangements today to get headliner in the car before this show. Just took a little persuading.

Ghoste

Mopar John

Quote from: held1823 on June 04, 2014, 08:47:38 AM
Lord no, the only place mine is fit for dragging to is the junkyard.
Ernie,
Not to worry we will have our B5 Daytona there from Indiana!
MJ

held1823

lol john. they swapped my weekends at work, so i may have to call in sick that weekend to make it there.

i thought maybe larry b was taking his car to this show, but he ended up at some fancy schmancy shindig at edsel ford's place last week.

the poor fellow had to buy dress shorts and a shirt with a collar, just to get in. i've known larry for thirty years and have never seen him this gussied up before.

what is cool about this photo (besides larry's garanimals outfit) is that it shows the second, third, and fourth owners of the daytona.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

i think i will be able to trade weekends with a coworker, and might try to make this event.

i see that john, dan, and doug (race or street version?) are taking cars. ghoste will also be there. is anyone else from the board going, either as a participant or spectator?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopar John

Dann
Quote from: 69_500 on June 25, 2014, 08:53:03 PM
Made arrangements today to get headliner in the car before this show. Just took a little persuading.
Danny,
Your 500 will be fine in this show! The last Concours that we entered had a good mix of cars.
There was a nice original low milage unrestored car, several restored cars at different levels
and a couple of cars that were actually being driven. See you there!
MJ

TheAutoArchaeologist

Wellborn will be bringing the Hemi Daytona there.

69_500

Guess headliner will not be replaced before this show either. Ordered from legendary in June. Still has not arrived. Oh well maybe by Talladega.

69_500

Welbourne is here with the Hemi Daytona. There is also a Hemi Superbird here, and the Hemi 500 finer details restored as well. Sounds like there is going to be pretty nice collection of Aero cars here. Looking forward to tomorrow.

We were there for about 4-5 hours today. Not much to look at there today, but we went for a cruise down Plymouth road, and saw quite a few nice rides.

Ghoste you gotta stop by the car at some point tomorrow.  My kid was really liking the Duesenbergs.

Aero426

We did the Mopar show at the Gilmore museum near Kalamazoo today.  Just got my rig parked a while ago.

Ghoste

I wish I could be there but I will be stuck here for a while yet.  I haven't been to the Gilmore show in a while, its usually a pretty good one though.

TUFCAT

I met some wing car members at the show today.  :coolgleamA:

It was nice to talk to Dan (69_500), Doug (Aero426), and Greg (Odcic2).  :2thumbs:   I also saw Mopar John's Daytona but didn't stop to introduce myself.... I should have.  :brickwall:

It was a beautiful setting for a car show with a great turnout of aero cars from both Ma Mopar and Ford.  :drool5:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 27, 2014, 01:46:53 PM
    I also saw Mopar John's Daytona but didn't stop to introduce myself.... 

You're as bad as that snob at Carlisle who thinks he's too good for everybody.    :smilielol:

Ghoste

Its understandable.  He is president of his HOA after all and that kind of power could make anyone's head swell.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 27, 2014, 01:57:03 PM
    I also saw Mopar John's Daytona but didn't stop to introduce myself.... 

You're as bad as that snob at Carlisle who thinks he's too good for everybody.    :smilielol:

I know right!  :think:   ... at least I said I was sorry  :D

Ghoste

Very nice, it was clearly a good show once again. :2thumbs:

69_500

Very nice collection of cars there. If you were a car fan and could not find a car you loved there, you are not a true car fan. They had everything covered. I am a little biased but the AERO section was very nice. Even though nothing tops a Daytona to me, the Tucker that was there, absolutely STUNNING.

69_500

I am glad I got to talk to odcics2 some yesterday. Between hime and John, they make me feel almost normal. I mean how many other people want to crawl around cars at a show, to look at fasteners, small imperfections, and minute details on these cars. I know this much, I looked at the cars in the AERO section way longer than any judges did. Then again they had no need to view mine closely, I told them it was flawed and rough and encouraged them to spend time checking out others instead.

41husk

A flawed XX car is almost better than any other :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ghoste

To be fair though, a concour's judging event is one half beauty pageant (in the eyes of the judges) and one half politics (based a great deal on business arrangements with the organizers and car owners).  There is very little there about correctness.
Still great cars though.

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

TUFCAT

The muscle car class winner was a Talladega ...(I'm not sure which one) but my guess would be the "Bunkie Knutson" 1-of-1 Yellow Talladega specially built by Ford. 

The "Virgil Exner Display" award went to a beautiful 1957 Chrysler 300F Convertible.   

Kowal

I was there as well.   There were a lot of great Chryslers.   A lot of great cars overall.  The venue is excellent. 

However, I lived in nearby Northville for years.   That area is unmistakeably Ford country.    Many, many, mid-level Ford execs in Northville and Plymouth.    The parade of classic cars through Northville the previous afternoon looked like a Ford marketing project (though it was pretty good).

'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

Ghoste

Sure is Ford, Tufcat and I have talked about that before.  I'm told the golf course across from St John's is a preferred one for the Wings but that s all hearsay.  I've also heard that several of the European players for Detroit live nearby as well.  :shruggy:

odcics2

Quote from: 69_500 on July 28, 2014, 09:18:07 AM
I am glad I got to talk to odcics2 some yesterday. Between hime and John, they make me feel almost normal. I mean how many other people want to crawl around cars at a show, to look at fasteners, small imperfections, and minute details on these cars. I know this much, I looked at the cars in the AERO section way longer than any judges did. Then again they had no need to view mine closely, I told them it was flawed and rough and encouraged them to spend time checking out others instead.

It's all in the details, my friend!   :cheers:

Nice to meet you!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

I met some wing car members at the show today.  :coolgleamA:

It was nice to talk to Dan (69_500), Doug (Aero426), and Greg (Odcic2).  :2thumbs:   I also saw Mopar John's Daytona but didn't stop to introduce myself.... I should have.  :brickwall:

It was a beautiful setting for a car show with a great turnout of aero cars from both Ma Mopar and Ford.  :drool5:

Nice to see you and your dad:  Senior Tufcat!   

TUFCAT

Aero426

Great show, we made it back home at midnight.   Nice to see everyone and meet the Feline Casanova and dad in person. 

Mopar John

426 Linda and I stayed for the "AFTERGLOW PARTY". When we were walking out it was starting to rain!@#$%^&*!
I ran and got the Daytona up the grass hill before it got wet and picked up Linda. We drove to the trailer lot and all
H--L broke loose! I could hear the hail pounding on the roof of the trailer as I was tying the Daytona down!
I hope the rest of you either drove out of harms way or were in your trailers by then?
Great show and good to see everyone! Next stop Talladega!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on July 29, 2014, 07:24:38 AM
... We drove to the trailer lot and all
H--L broke loose! I could hear the hail pounding on the roof of the trailer as I was tying the Daytona down!

:o

Quote from: Mopar John on July 29, 2014, 07:24:38 AM
... Next stop Talladega!
MJ

Shake-n-Bake !!!!!!  See'ya !!!
Troy

Aero426

Keith Martin's report on the show.    Keith is the publisher of Sports Car Market and American Car Collector, two of the best car magazines out there, IMO.    He also formerly owned a Superbird.   Check out the pics at the bottom.    

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/blogs/keith-martin/6129-a-great-weekend-at-the-concours-of-america

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on August 01, 2014, 03:32:56 PM
Keith Martin's report on the show.    Keith is the publisher of Sports Car Market and American Car Collector, two of the best car magazines out there, IMO.    He also formerly owned a Superbird.   Check out the pics at the bottom.    

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/blogs/keith-martin/6129-a-great-weekend-at-the-concours-of-america

Limelight Bird looks good!   :2thumbs:

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053