News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Real" GL for sale

Started by Dreamcar, June 16, 2014, 07:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

This may be very old news so I apologize for repeating it...There's a GL for sale. It's not screen used (they admit that in the description), but I'd say this is probably the next best thing along with the other non-screen used "official" GL's that did the car show circuit back in the 80s. I think I'd rather have this than the 2005 movie cars...or maybe not...It doesn't matter I can't afford them anyway. 

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/dodge/charger/732732.html

I'd love to know what this ends up selling for.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

GL#10

It has been covered before , it's not a Screen used General lee , it was built after production left GA for California , the information in the add is misleading to say the least , it is a nice replica but that is all your buying there .

There is a new Website and FB site for Screen Used General lee's , ie General lee's that appeared on the show , it covers the series , series reunions ,Both Movie's and the current Auto Trader Gl's.

REALGENERALLEE.COM 

Ghoste

They made sure to ad the disclaimer in bold.  Volo is another place that leaves me a little cold.

GL#10

Volo  ,ha wouldn't by a billy cart of those guys , over priced  under restored junk  .

Ghoste

I've seen some good things come out of there but you have to watch them for sure.

Dreamcar

The first ever GL Replica?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Ghoste

Hard to say.  Volo are not above embellishing to sell a car and the fact they put the disclaimer at the bottom of the ad in big bold letters says to me they are already nervous about someone coming back on them for part or parts of the story being less than accurate.

GL#10

QuoteThe first ever GL Replica?

That is how it should be advertised , the first replica ,which it could very well be .

Dreamcar

"Potentialy the first ever replica, built by one of the original crew members in 1979".

I think that would actually sell the car well and make it worth something.

Ghoste

Yes, thats really all the ad needs to say.

TUFCAT

VOLO sucks - I wouldn't but a skateboard from them. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Cooter

They also claimed to have one of the TWO known screen used "Christine's"....
We have the ledger from Bill and Ed's yard. We also know where these two are today....
even had what looked to be a piece of a roll cage, some crazy welded pieces under car, some racing seat and a few other pieces that claimed proved it was legit.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Lee

It is hard to say if it is even the first replica, but is certainly one of the first. They built three General Lee's after production wrapped within the same time frame. This one, one meant to be a gift to John Schneider, and a 340 equipped car that was sent off to California to be used on the show (Don "owed" them one last car). So while one of the three became screen used, the other 2 were not. All built at the same time.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 16, 2014, 11:34:28 AM
It is hard to say if it is even the first replica, but is certainly one of the first. They built three General Lee's after production wrapped within the same time frame. This one, one meant to be a gift to John Schneider, and a 340 equipped car that was sent off to California to be used on the show (Don "owed" them one last car). So while one of the three became screen used, the other 2 were not. All built at the same time.

Interesting. Anyone know how much $ they are trying to get out of it?

DTB

Quote from: Dreamcar on June 16, 2014, 11:48:37 AM
Quote from: Brock Lee on June 16, 2014, 11:34:28 AM

Interesting. Anyone know how much $ they are trying to get out of it?

I was thinking that car had been on ebay awhile back for north of $150k

Dreamcar

150k!!!??  I wouldnt even give them half of that.

Ghoste

PlainfieldCharger

Bids are at 95,000... :slap: really? :brickwall:

GL#10

QuoteBids are at 95,000...  really?

Ha  yearh there friends bids are at $95000.00  ha   , id rather spend my money on this one from the Autotrader commercial

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=1566070&conversationId=749943

Bandit72

really dig all the graffiti on the roof too....why would you get autographs there?
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Dreamcar

Quote from: GL#10 on June 18, 2014, 03:51:45 AM
QuoteBids are at 95,000...  really?

Ha  yearh there friends bids are at $95000.00  ha   , id rather spend my money on this one from the Autotrader commercial

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=1566070&conversationId=749943

:iagree:

Ghoste

The friends need to step it up, they're still  100k from the bin.  :smilielol:

MaximRecoil

It's a Warner Bros. General Lee isn't it? It is sitting right next to LEE1 here (prior to receiving its General Lee uniform):

If so, that means it is not a replica, it just wasn't screen-used. If e.g. LEE1 had been stolen just before the cameras rolled (or otherwise prevented from appearing onscreen), would that make it a replica? The General Lee is a Warner Bros. product; only non-Warner Bros. General Lees are replicas.

Either way, I consider this to be the best General Lee in existence (LEE3 would be better, if it were still around and had never been damaged). It has Warner Bros. history; it appears to be in as good of condition as the day it was transformed into a General Lee 35 years ago, aside from the recent Sharpie markings on the C-pillar, which are easily removed:

It has a factory original saddle tan interior (not spray-bombed) that still looks new; it is a non-vinyl top car which means it has a clean roof skin, i.e., no rust-pitted metal under Bondo like the far more common vinyl top cars that became General Lees, and factory leaded fill over the quarter panel-to-C-pillar seam, instead of Bondo added by the General Lee builders.

I wonder what the story is behind it having a 360 engine? It says it has a 360 in the eBay auction anyway; I can't tell from looking at the picture whether it is a 360 or a 318.

Brock Lee

It wasn't a Warner Brothers product. WB simply owned the car.

What had happened is Don was given money to buy Chargers from WB for building into GL's and as parts cars. They took the passenger side fender off this car to replace the one taken off one of the 1968's to repair the closeup car (really Lee2). Anyway, production left with 3 Lee's and Don still owed them one more car. John Mirindi sold Don the remaining "parts cars", this car being one of them. It wasn't "Generalized" by WB, but by Don and Jon Schisler. The graphics were not painted by Larry West, but by a guy named Ron Edwards. Edwards did the graphics on all these later cars and has a very different style than the original pilot car builders in California had, and Larry West had. That style made its way onto the car that Don sent to CA later, which was wrecked accidentally after only appearing on screen a few times. The Veluzat's ended up with the remains (with mysteriously missing engine) and the earliest Veluzat cars had Ron Edwards style graphics like these cars had as that was their template.

This car had many real parts from other GL's installed in it as Don had a little Charger graveyard to pick from. It was a vinyl top car originally. Jon Schisler didn't like the trim, so they welded the holes up.