News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Real" GL for sale

Started by Dreamcar, June 16, 2014, 07:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

This may be very old news so I apologize for repeating it...There's a GL for sale. It's not screen used (they admit that in the description), but I'd say this is probably the next best thing along with the other non-screen used "official" GL's that did the car show circuit back in the 80s. I think I'd rather have this than the 2005 movie cars...or maybe not...It doesn't matter I can't afford them anyway. 

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/dodge/charger/732732.html

I'd love to know what this ends up selling for.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

GL#10

It has been covered before , it's not a Screen used General lee , it was built after production left GA for California , the information in the add is misleading to say the least , it is a nice replica but that is all your buying there .

There is a new Website and FB site for Screen Used General lee's , ie General lee's that appeared on the show , it covers the series , series reunions ,Both Movie's and the current Auto Trader Gl's.

REALGENERALLEE.COM 

Ghoste

They made sure to ad the disclaimer in bold.  Volo is another place that leaves me a little cold.

GL#10

Volo  ,ha wouldn't by a billy cart of those guys , over priced  under restored junk  .

Ghoste

I've seen some good things come out of there but you have to watch them for sure.

Dreamcar

The first ever GL Replica?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Ghoste

Hard to say.  Volo are not above embellishing to sell a car and the fact they put the disclaimer at the bottom of the ad in big bold letters says to me they are already nervous about someone coming back on them for part or parts of the story being less than accurate.

GL#10

QuoteThe first ever GL Replica?

That is how it should be advertised , the first replica ,which it could very well be .

Dreamcar

"Potentialy the first ever replica, built by one of the original crew members in 1979".

I think that would actually sell the car well and make it worth something.

Ghoste

Yes, thats really all the ad needs to say.

TUFCAT

VOLO sucks - I wouldn't but a skateboard from them. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Cooter

They also claimed to have one of the TWO known screen used "Christine's"....
We have the ledger from Bill and Ed's yard. We also know where these two are today....
even had what looked to be a piece of a roll cage, some crazy welded pieces under car, some racing seat and a few other pieces that claimed proved it was legit.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Lee

It is hard to say if it is even the first replica, but is certainly one of the first. They built three General Lee's after production wrapped within the same time frame. This one, one meant to be a gift to John Schneider, and a 340 equipped car that was sent off to California to be used on the show (Don "owed" them one last car). So while one of the three became screen used, the other 2 were not. All built at the same time.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 16, 2014, 11:34:28 AM
It is hard to say if it is even the first replica, but is certainly one of the first. They built three General Lee's after production wrapped within the same time frame. This one, one meant to be a gift to John Schneider, and a 340 equipped car that was sent off to California to be used on the show (Don "owed" them one last car). So while one of the three became screen used, the other 2 were not. All built at the same time.

Interesting. Anyone know how much $ they are trying to get out of it?

DTB

Quote from: Dreamcar on June 16, 2014, 11:48:37 AM
Quote from: Brock Lee on June 16, 2014, 11:34:28 AM

Interesting. Anyone know how much $ they are trying to get out of it?

I was thinking that car had been on ebay awhile back for north of $150k

Dreamcar

150k!!!??  I wouldnt even give them half of that.

Ghoste

PlainfieldCharger

Bids are at 95,000... :slap: really? :brickwall:

GL#10

QuoteBids are at 95,000...  really?

Ha  yearh there friends bids are at $95000.00  ha   , id rather spend my money on this one from the Autotrader commercial

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=1566070&conversationId=749943

Bandit72

really dig all the graffiti on the roof too....why would you get autographs there?
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Dreamcar

Quote from: GL#10 on June 18, 2014, 03:51:45 AM
QuoteBids are at 95,000...  really?

Ha  yearh there friends bids are at $95000.00  ha   , id rather spend my money on this one from the Autotrader commercial

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=1566070&conversationId=749943

:iagree:

Ghoste

The friends need to step it up, they're still  100k from the bin.  :smilielol:

MaximRecoil

It's a Warner Bros. General Lee isn't it? It is sitting right next to LEE1 here (prior to receiving its General Lee uniform):

If so, that means it is not a replica, it just wasn't screen-used. If e.g. LEE1 had been stolen just before the cameras rolled (or otherwise prevented from appearing onscreen), would that make it a replica? The General Lee is a Warner Bros. product; only non-Warner Bros. General Lees are replicas.

Either way, I consider this to be the best General Lee in existence (LEE3 would be better, if it were still around and had never been damaged). It has Warner Bros. history; it appears to be in as good of condition as the day it was transformed into a General Lee 35 years ago, aside from the recent Sharpie markings on the C-pillar, which are easily removed:

It has a factory original saddle tan interior (not spray-bombed) that still looks new; it is a non-vinyl top car which means it has a clean roof skin, i.e., no rust-pitted metal under Bondo like the far more common vinyl top cars that became General Lees, and factory leaded fill over the quarter panel-to-C-pillar seam, instead of Bondo added by the General Lee builders.

I wonder what the story is behind it having a 360 engine? It says it has a 360 in the eBay auction anyway; I can't tell from looking at the picture whether it is a 360 or a 318.

Brock Lee

It wasn't a Warner Brothers product. WB simply owned the car.

What had happened is Don was given money to buy Chargers from WB for building into GL's and as parts cars. They took the passenger side fender off this car to replace the one taken off one of the 1968's to repair the closeup car (really Lee2). Anyway, production left with 3 Lee's and Don still owed them one more car. John Mirindi sold Don the remaining "parts cars", this car being one of them. It wasn't "Generalized" by WB, but by Don and Jon Schisler. The graphics were not painted by Larry West, but by a guy named Ron Edwards. Edwards did the graphics on all these later cars and has a very different style than the original pilot car builders in California had, and Larry West had. That style made its way onto the car that Don sent to CA later, which was wrecked accidentally after only appearing on screen a few times. The Veluzat's ended up with the remains (with mysteriously missing engine) and the earliest Veluzat cars had Ron Edwards style graphics like these cars had as that was their template.

This car had many real parts from other GL's installed in it as Don had a little Charger graveyard to pick from. It was a vinyl top car originally. Jon Schisler didn't like the trim, so they welded the holes up.

Dreamcar

I love hearing about GL history. Thanks guys!

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 18, 2014, 10:12:51 AM
It wasn't a Warner Brothers product. WB simply owned the car.

What had happened is Don was given money to buy Chargers from WB for building into GL's and as parts cars.

That makes it a Warner Bros. product. I guess you're making the distinction between this car being intended as a parts car rather than a General Lee? I'm guessing that Warner Bros. left that decision up to Don, and he eventually decided it should be a General Lee.

Either way, the word "replica" gives the wrong impression about this car; it actually has Warner Bros. / GL builders history, unlike a garden variety General Lee replica that you can see at most any car show; probably dozens of which are owned by members of this very site.

QuoteIt was a vinyl top car originally. Jon Schisler didn't like the trim, so they welded the holes up.

In that picture I posted above where it is beside LEE1 still in stock form, I don't see a vinyl top or vinyl top molding on it. The roof appears to be painted the same color as the rest of the body.

Brock Lee

Look at the other pictures taken from other angles. It is a tan vinyl top car. I also have video of Jon explaining to me how he didn't like the trim and went out of his way to get rid of it on his personal car.

WB just owned the car for a period of time. Yes, the same builders completed it after WB owned the car. It is still very special in my eyes. That is what the true Georgia built cars looked like. A little nicer than the pilot cars built in California, but still crude in a picture car sort of way.

mopar0166

Auto trader car was posted to classic auto trader for 55k

Dreamcar

To me, if the Volo car was never readied for filming, and given its "uniform" only after filming ended and after the other cars left for California, then it's more of a replica, albeit a significant one that's worth more than most if not all other replicas...but it's just not worth $150K +, no way.

I think the Autotrader SGL3 is worth what they are asking (but I still can't afford it  :'()

If money was no object and I was searching for a GL, this would be my order of importance:

1 - Any TV series GL
2 - The reunion GLs
3 - The Autotrader GLs (that are also not from the series)
4 - The Schisler GL or any other replica with that level of connection to the show (like Bo's GL)
5 - The movie cars (that are not also from the series)
6 - Any other replica with no actual connection to the Dukes

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 18, 2014, 11:58:52 AM
Look at the other pictures taken from other angles. It is a tan vinyl top car. I also have video of Jon explaining to me how he didn't like the trim and went out of his way to get rid of it on his personal car.

Interesting. They should have done that to all of them. The GL doesn't have a vinyl top, so why leave the vinyl top trim on there? It looks half-assed. Of course, on fan-built replicas I can see leaving the trim on there, because most (but not all) of the screen-used GLs had it.

QuoteWB just owned the car for a period of time. Yes, the same builders completed it after WB owned the car. It is still very special in my eyes. That is what the true Georgia built cars looked like. A little nicer than the pilot cars built in California, but still crude in a picture car sort of way.

If I won the Powerball or whatever, I'd own that car. There's no nicer example of a GL with Warner Bros. history in my opinion, very early Warner Bros. history (Georgia) no less.

So, do you know the story behind the 360 engine in it? And do you know the story behind the push bumper? It is the early narrow style, but it is different than any screen-used narrow GL push bumper I've ever seen. Instead of the side plates just having "hook" shapes on the bottom that aren't attached to anything like the screen-used ones did ...

... the side plates on the bottom go straight under the car (and presumably attached to something under there) similar to how the later wide push bumpers did:

I wonder if this is something Don did to improve the mounting strength due to it being his personal car. The mounting method of the screen used narrow ones (attached only to the bumper) was flimsy as hell; the slightest hit would slam it back into the center piece of the grille.

GL#10

QuoteTo me, if the Volo car was never readied for filming, and given its "uniform" only after filming ended and after the other cars left for California, then it's more of a replica, albeit a significant one that's worth more than most if not all other replicas...but it's just not worth $150K +, no way.

Just a replica , worth what volo paid for it , which at the time when it was on ebay $40k

Dreamcar

I wonder why WB allowed Don to buy it in the first place...if this car was part of the lot of parts, why not ship it to Cali with the other cars?

1965gp

So this is a difficult question- how much is a nice GL replica worth? I am in the process of building one and hear ranges from 15k to 60k. I'm talking about a car with no connection to the show.

Maybe it's just me or my area (tx) but it seems to me for any less than 10k you pretty much get a car needing full restoration.

My car is a 69, 383 4 barrel auto. No rust (couple of small spots replaced with new metal). Base clear flame red, better decals (crazy cutter), smith bros small push bar, legendary full interior kit. All new trim/bumpers. Let's say the rest of the car is restored to mid-low #2 / very nice driver quality.

Sorry to hijack but really didn't think this was enough for its own thread.

ACUDANUT

I did not see a price.  :scratchchin:

1965gp

Just curious to a ballpark value of a nice driver GL. I should have 25-27 in mine when I am done.

Brock Lee

Quote from: Dreamcar on June 18, 2014, 07:33:10 PM
I wonder why WB allowed Don to buy it in the first place...if this car was part of the lot of parts, why not ship it to Cali with the other cars?

WB left all of the wrecks and parts cars behind. The two leftover Chargers were basically given to him in trade for the GL he built with the 340 to go back to California. This particular car also had a title problem. Don had to get a replacement title for it.
Quote from: MaximRecoil on June 18, 2014, 05:07:01 PM

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 18, 2014, 11:58:52 AM

Interesting. They should have done that to all of them. The GL doesn't have a vinyl top, so why leave the vinyl top trim on there? It looks half-assed. Of course, on fan-built replicas I can see leaving the trim on there, because most (but not all) of the screen-used GLs had it.

The first 3 cars were not built in Georgia, but in California. Lee1 had a hacked in drivers side rear quarter before it was a GL. A previous owner hacked the quarter under that trim so he didn't have to screw with the vinyl top. It was an absolute mess under there and these guys put zero care into building the pilot cars. They didn't even take them apart. It was easier to snap the trim back on over the hacked seam. If you look close at the shot of it pulling into the Boars Nest parking lot, you can see the metal under that trim is wavy.

In building the 3 pilot cars they did their best to make them match. Lee1 was missing the gas cap trim ring and wheel well trim due to the budget repair work. They mimicked this look on the next 2 cars.

In Georgia they made changes right away, but were subtle about it. Leaving things like gas cap trim on. But they did keep that top trim for the sake of consistency.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 18, 2014, 10:18:17 PM
In Georgia they made changes right away, but were subtle about it. Leaving things like gas cap trim on. But they did keep that top trim for the sake of consistency.

But they weren't consistent. LEE1 had that "chrome" rocker panel molding, which stuck out like a junebug in a bucket of buttermilk, much more obvious than vinyl top trim or lack thereof. And then of course they deleted the Dutchman panel crossed flags graphics once they got to California. And whenever they started with a non-vinyl top car, they left it that way, i.e., they didn't add the trim to it:

That's just one of many onscreen appearances of a non-vinyl top GL. And there were even a few where they painted the vinyl top trim orange along with the rest of the car.

If they wanted to standardize on something for the sake of consistency, it should have been no vinyl top trim, regardless of what they did with the first 3 GLs. But of course, that would have meant more work.

Mike DC

I actually think the vinyl top trim looks good.

Many people have noted that whether you like vinyl tops or not, the 2nd-gen Charger does wear a vinyl top better than most muscle cars do.  It divides the top & bottom, emphasizing that "cab on top of a machined block of steel" look that had been described at the design stage.  The vinyl top trim also has that visual effect.  

MaximRecoil

I much prefer the smooth, uninterrupted flow between the rear quarter panel and the C-pillar. There is still delineation of sorts there, due to the relatively small-radius curve that forms the transition between the rear quarter panel and the C-pillar, and the drastically different angle of the top "shelf" of the rear quarter panel vs. the angle of the C-pillar, but it is far more subtle than a physical barrier in the form of vinyl top trim.

Richard Sias didn't want a vinyl top option either, but since it was such a big fad at the time, the bean counters made him tack one on. I read that a couple of years ago in an interview with him, but for the life of me I can't find the interview now (if anyone knows where it is I'd like a link).

myk

Quote from: MaximRecoil on June 19, 2014, 01:51:53 AM
I much prefer the smooth, uninterrupted flow between the rear quarter panel and the C-pillar. There is still delineation of sorts there, due to the relatively small-radius curve that forms the transition between the rear quarter panel and the C-pillar, and the drastically different angle of the top "shelf" of the rear quarter panel vs. the angle of the C-pillar, but it is far more subtle than a physical barrier in the form of vinyl top trim.

Richard Sias didn't want a vinyl top option either, but since it was such a big fad at the time, the bean counters made him tack one on. I read that a couple of years ago in an interview with him, but for the life of me I can't find the interview now (if anyone knows where it is I'd like a link).

Can't agree with you more.  Vinyl tops DO look better on Chargers than most other cars, as well as tail stripes, but because the Charger has one of the most distinctive body styles ever conceived I think it's almost a waste to interrupt that perfectly machined block of steel with tops and stripes.  I've been debating a tail stripe for years-I may never decide...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Brock Lee

Quote from: MaximRecoil on June 18, 2014, 10:44:52 PM
Quote from: Brock Lee on June 18, 2014, 10:18:17 PM

But they weren't consistent. LEE1 had that "chrome" rocker panel molding, which stuck out like a junebug in a bucket of buttermilk, much more obvious than vinyl top trim or lack thereof. And then of course they deleted the Dutchman panel crossed flags graphics once they got to California. And whenever they started with a non-vinyl top car, they left it that way, i.e., they didn't add the trim to it:

First of all, Lee1 was built first, they didn't realize the rocker trim was going to an issue. Had it been built second or third, they would have removed it. Removing it after they built it into a General Lee was more work than they wanted to do. The car was so rough, they likely planned on killing it first anyway. Of the 3 cars pilot cars built, it was the only car completed in California as a fully caged stunt car. The Elm Street car arrived mostly done, but the cage, interior dye/paint and other odds and ends were wrapped up after arrival in Georgia.

Second, the appearance of the cars plays by the rules of the people that built them with some basic outline set by WB. The pilot cars were built by one group, Don's guys built a couple in Georgia, then season 2 when orange painted vinyl top trim and rocker trim appear it is Veluzat built cars. Each set of builders did their own thing and as the show progressed, consistency decayed a bit before WB became very specific in their demands in how the car should appear.

They never believed the show would last that long and they tried hard to maintain cars in that first season. There were episodes made later that killed as many Chargers in one episode as died in that entire first season.

Dreamcar

In the Georgia era, there's LEE 1, 2, 3, and the GL built by Mr. Schisler that went to California. That's four "real" GLs.

There's also the two other Schisler cars (including the Volo car) that didn't go back to Cali. That makes 6 in total.

How many more Georgia cars are there (surviving or not)?

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 19, 2014, 01:44:30 PM

First of all, Lee1 was built first, they didn't realize the rocker trim was going to an issue. Had it been built second or third, they would have removed it. Removing it after they built it into a General Lee was more work than they wanted to do. The car was so rough, they likely planned on killing it first anyway. Of the 3 cars pilot cars built, it was the only car completed in California as a fully caged stunt car. The Elm Street car arrived mostly done, but the cage, interior dye/paint and other odds and ends were wrapped up after arrival in Georgia.

By all accounts I've heard/read, LEE3 was built first; it is the one that they used for the promotional photos taken in Griffith Park, California, before they even decided to put "01" on the doors:

And it was probably the nicest Warner Bros. General Lee ever from what I've heard/read: R/T SE (440 engine) with power windows and factory saddle tan interior.

Dreamcar

In real life, she's near twice my age...but in that picture...DAMN!!!!

tan top

interesting , stuff about the different GL , thanks for sharing  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :cheers:

:  
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

posted in wrong bit   :rotz: , please delete  :brickwall: & two posts below   :slap:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

tan top

Charger Stuff 

tan top

Charger Stuff 

Brock Lee

Quote from: MaximRecoil on June 19, 2014, 05:01:09 PM
Quote from: Brock Lee on June 19, 2014, 01:44:30 PM

By all accounts I've heard/read, LEE3 was built first; it is the one that they used for the promotional photos taken in Griffith Park, California, before they even decided to put "01" on the doors:

And it was probably the nicest Warner Bros. General Lee ever from what I've heard/read: R/T SE (440 engine) with power windows and factory saddle tan interior.

First of all, that one was labeled Lee2. I am to blame for the misnumbering of that car. It goes back many years with some work I did with Steve Stanley. I always told him I didn't want to carve the car numbers in stone as I was unsure. I am no longer unsure, but that numbering system has been a thorn in my side. But people even screw up the police car numbers, and those still exist.

It was not the first General Lee. It was the first close up General Lee. What is the difference? It was a cleaner car and they applied a special base coat to make the orange "pop" versus the other cars with orange sprayed directly on the stock color, which made them look blotchy. How do I know they did this? I own that door. I also own pieces of Lee1 and Lee3 which clearly show how they were painted.

Lee1 was built before the cast was even selected. Lee2 was still being built when these photos were taken. There is still masking tape in spots.

Lee1's flag was revised right on the car. It originally had 1/2" wide white boarders. They went back and beefed them up to 1" after the paint dried and that became the standard.

The text also evolved right on Lee1. You can see the E's evolve right on the drivers side. No 2 are alike. By the passenger side they figured it out. Lee2 continued that style on both sides.

Another bit of misinformation about Lee2. It did NOT have painted numbers! I have no idea where this load of shit came from. It had the same crap vinyl as Lee1. You can see it bubbling in certain shots. They peeled the numbers off, stuck them to a wall, then used them on the first car Don's crew built. There was a "shadow" of the 01's left behind that was adhesive. Maybe someone saw that shadow on the 71 car and assumed it was paint..but it isn't.

Ghoste

For someone who was never deep into DOH this has been a fascinating thread, just wanted to butt in and tell you guys that.  Your knowledge of the cars on that show is impressive.

Brock Lee

Ghoste, I appreciate that. But there is a big difference here. I have actual hands on experience with this stuff. I know what I know because not only did I handle parts, but when I spoke to guys like Don, I had no fear of challenging their memories when things didn't jive (and that happened a lot). Others just took his memory as gospel.

Here is an example. Don would spin this yarn about a young couple selling him a rough Charger. The body was so out of whack, he had to weld a door shut so it stayed closed. I told him that was interesting as he had to do that to the 71 car. Lee1's body was so tweaked after the jump that after they swapped its passenger side door with Lee2's, it wouldn't latch. He says "Well, that is the car I am thinking of. I only did it once. I guess I remembered it differently."

That is just ONE example of such things.

1965gp

Really, this is fascinating info- considering as a kid I could never understand hey my dukes card had a picture of her next to a car next to a General without the 01!

Any other interesting stories you would like to share? I'm sure many of us are curious.

Thanks for what you have shared so far.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 21, 2014, 02:26:19 PM
First of all, that one was labeled Lee2. I am to blame for the misnumbering of that car. It goes back many years with some work I did with Steve Stanley. I always told him I didn't want to carve the car numbers in stone as I was unsure. I am no longer unsure, but that numbering system has been a thorn in my side. But people even screw up the police car numbers, and those still exist.

It was not the first General Lee. It was the first close up General Lee. What is the difference? It was a cleaner car and they applied a special base coat to make the orange "pop" versus the other cars with orange sprayed directly on the stock color, which made them look blotchy. How do I know they did this? I own that door. I also own pieces of Lee1 and Lee3 which clearly show how they were painted.

Lee1 was built before the cast was even selected. Lee2 was still being built when these photos were taken. There is still masking tape in spots.

Lee1's flag was revised right on the car. It originally had 1/2" wide white boarders. They went back and beefed them up to 1" after the paint dried and that became the standard.

The text also evolved right on Lee1. You can see the E's evolve right on the drivers side. No 2 are alike. By the passenger side they figured it out. Lee2 continued that style on both sides.

Another bit of misinformation about Lee2. It did NOT have painted numbers! I have no idea where this load of shit came from. It had the same crap vinyl as Lee1. You can see it bubbling in certain shots. They peeled the numbers off, stuck them to a wall, then used them on the first car Don's crew built. There was a "shadow" of the 01's left behind that was adhesive. Maybe someone saw that shadow on the 71 car and assumed it was paint..but it isn't.

So you're saying they were built in the same order in California in which they eventually got numbered for filming purposes in Georgia? That's different than everything else I've ever read/heard on the matter, which is that they were arbitrarily numbered LEE1, LEE2, and LEE3 for filming purposes without regard to in which order they were built in California.

So if LEE1 (#71 Richard Petty commercial car) was the first General Lee built, that changes everything people have said about it for the past 10 years or so (and makes it more significant), because in pretty much every thread and article about it online, it is pointed out that it was labeled LEE1 arbitrarily for filming purposes, not because it was the first one built.

By the way, I noticed a few years ago that the "font" of the "0" on the door matches the "font" of the "O" in the Hollywood Sign, which is atop a hill in Griffith Park. So the car goes into Griffith Park for promotional photos with no "01" on the door, and then it has a "0" which matches the "O"s in the Hollywood sign. I doubt that's a coincidence, considering the rather unique font (rather unique due to its 35 degree angles as opposed to the far more common 45 degree angles in "collegiate" or "varsity" style fonts. Do you know anything about this? I made a thread about it here, and here are the pictures I posted:

Brock Lee

The fact is the numbering on the 5 cars sent from California (3 Lee's and 2 Police cars) was done before they arrived in Georgia. Don would get asked "Did you label them in order of build?" Don said "No" because he didn't. But he didn't label those pilot cars. Lee3 was labeled before the interior was painted (you can see they just wiped the wet paint off). Don had a similar label maker, but the font was different.

There is so much wrong info out there about these early cars I wouldn't even know where to begin. And lately, I have very little interest in even getting into it.

TUFCAT

Brock, I know that same feeling from some other threads I've been on ...the 4-dr 'Cuda thread comes to mind.  :eek2:

jaak

Just to go off topic for a second... I always thought this screen cap was funny. Notice "General" is spelled incorrectly, it says "Genreral".

Jason

Ghoste

Hahaha, never spotted that before.

VoloBrian

Quote from: GL#10 on June 18, 2014, 07:18:00 PM
QuoteTo me, if the Volo car was never readied for filming, and given its "uniform" only after filming ended and after the other cars left for California, then it's more of a replica, albeit a significant one that's worth more than most if not all other replicas...but it's just not worth $150K +, no way.

Just a replica , worth what volo paid for it , which at the time when it was on ebay $40k

Quote from: GL#10 on June 18, 2014, 07:18:00 PM

It’s funny how people with no firsthand knowledge spread rumors on “hearsay” without doing their own research.  The Schisler car, admittingly, was never screen used and never did we claim it to be.  However it was owned by WB and built by WB with the intention of being used and that has been proven.  Don purchased the car Dec of 1979.  The car can be proven to have been built some time prior to Nov. 1979 and there is both firsthand claims and other evidence that says it was built during the Xmas break after filming and before the move to CA. This is what Henery Holman said in an interview and stated in his letter of authenticity, Calling it the 6th car built and the last one for the show.  Ronnie Edwards, who did the graphics, said in writing that he did 2 cars for Don, one for the show with a 360 in it and a 440 replica.   The Schisler car is a 360.  In an interview with John Schisler, when asked about it being built as a replica for him out of a parts car, his response was “there’s nothing further from the truth”.  He also gave a letter of authenticity stating this was the last GL built for the show.  Jon Blanchette who bought the car from Don said that Don told him it was built by WB for the show.  The only thing that exsits in the world that says it was built as a replica is hearsay that “Don said” it was a parts car.  The issue with that is Don also said, in writing, “Owned and built by Warner Brothers for the Dukes of Hazzard TV Series, not a replica”.  See Dons original ad from 1980 attached.  So by saying I’m full of it, you are saying Don Schisler, John Schisler, Hernry Holman and Ronnie Edwards, all 1st hand sources, are also full of it.

lukedukem

This thread is over three years old. Must of been eating on you for awhile.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

BeeOrange

I know this thread is 3 years old, but I am fascinated by this General Lee :)

Any comments on this article about it:

https://jimsuva.typepad.com/blog/2019/12/last-built-general-lee-in-georgia.html

70 Super Bee FK5 383 4-Speed
68 GTX RR1 426 Auto
70 Cuda FC7 440 Auto

Psalm 37:5: Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.