News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quick intro- 1965gp's GL build

Started by 1965gp, June 30, 2014, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1965gp

Been lurking / randomly posting for a few weeks and thought I would introduce myself...

Name is Jeremy, based in Houston and about 1/3 through my GL build. Traditionally a Pontiac guy I have always loved Chargers. I, like quite a few others grew up watching the dukes on Friday nights which probably helped spur my interest. Looking on and off over the years I finally had a rust free example show up within reasonable distance.

I bought a 69 383 auto car that looks like it had been restored at one time and then disassembled again. The good thing is that someone already did a fairly good job replacing the quarters and trunk. I did have a little rust to deal with in the doors and lower fenders but nothing my friends shop couldn't handle.

Here are some pics of when I picked it up:

Here is a pic of when we painted the jambs and sprayed it with gloss to use as a guide coat:

Here are some photos after blocking:

Finally- home after I get the right wheels and graphics on:

Most recently here after I took the grill apart, wrapped in fiberglass and resin and painted:

Just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for their help so far- everyone has been very helpful so far answering questions that probably seem common sense to mopar guys!

Ghoste

Nice transformation.  Is it in the 69 registry?

1965gp

Good question- not by me but could have been. I will have to send the info. PM to you?

familymopar

Great looking General!  Can't wait to see it around!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

GL#10

Looks like you started out with a solid charger , looks good , i see the small pushbar , Ga era or early california style you going for ???

Great work  :2thumbs:

1965gp

I think we went early CA- I didn't really know about all of the differences until I got into the build. I got the decals from crzy c and told him the car was flame red and had the small push bar so point me in the right direction.

I think we went early CA but honestly I looked at the differences for weeks on end and just confused myself!

Next up is interior- hoping to place the order this week. Going with the Legendary Dukes tan as I think that's the closest to the early color.

Baldwinvette77

I like it  :2thumbs:

Also like how it looked before you started  :scratchchin:

Mike DC

QuoteNext up is interior- hoping to place the order this week. Going with the Legendary Dukes tan as I think that's the closest to the early color.

Legendary DOH tan is the wrong one for a small pushbar.  You want the factory "Saddle Tan" color.  

-------------------------

Cliff Notes version of GL history (TV series only):  

For the first half of the TV series, the studio subcontracted out the job of building cars to local Georgia & California shops.  

In the later half of the series  the studio gave the show's on-set car maintenance crew a shop and let them build their own cars in-house.  There are lots of small differences over the years but it's mainly these two groups.  

Subcontracted cars:  

-- Small pushbars.  
-- Saddle Tan interiors, other colors were painted a similar brown
-- rollbars painted tan/brown
-- '69s still had visible signal lights

Warner Bros built cars:

-- wider pushbars
-- light beige "Buckskin" paint (<-- Legendary's GL color) sprayed over ALL interiors.
-- black rollbars
-- ALL signal lights gone, all years

The big switch happened in the middle of season#4.  The car details changed partly because the show had gotten fan letters noticing inconsistent stuff.  The pushbars were changed because the smaller pushbar (out of a catalog, made for some small truck) didn't protect very well.  The wider bars were custom-made by the studio's ramp & rollcage fabricator.

Sometimes you see both styles in a single episode.  But you aren't really seeing that, it's just bits of recycled footage from previous seasons.  

Ghoste

Quote from: 1965gp on June 30, 2014, 10:08:33 PM
Good question- not by me but could have been. I will have to send the info. PM to you?

Yeah, I can check quickly with the VIN.

1965gp

I am glad you mentioned this then- I was under the impression the dukes tan was the darker color?

marshallfry01

That's a super nice GTO you have there.  :drool5: Gotta love those Pontiacs!! :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Mike DC

QuoteI am glad you mentioned this then- I was under the impression the dukes tan was the darker color?

Yeah, the Legendary "General Lee" color is the lighter one of the two '69 Charger tan shades they carry.  It's VERY light, even a bit lighter than the Buckskin color sometimes looked on TV.

Dino

I hate the super light tan, just doesn't look right.  Now a nice saddle interior on the other hand!   :yesnod:

Great looking GL, excellent work.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1965gp

Thanks for the comment on the silver 70- it's actually a LeMans. My dad bought that car in 75 right before they had their second kid (me); so that is actually the car I rode home from the hospital in. I pretty much destroyed it in high school, then a tree fell on it and our 70 GTO, then about 10 years later I pulled it from the barn and restored it. Driving it is like driving a time machine because that's the car I remember growing up.

Here is a pic of the 70 LeMans and the 70 GTO at a show here in Houston. You can also see the front of our 69 Trans Am clone:

1965gp

Finally some more progress of the General- got the front and rear windows and stainless in, painted the dash, bumper mounted and most importantly I finally got to mount my license plate!

Baldwinvette77

That plate will definatley clear up the question "are you Bo or Luke Duke"? i've gotten that couple times so far  :lol: ... ok maybe more like 8 or 9 times

1965gp

Yea I was playing around on www.myplates.com (our vanity plates are done by a private company) and saw this was available. Wife thinks I am an idiot for buying them but that's not anything new...

Got new plugs and wires on today and it runs like a different car. Eventually I will look into an aftermarket ignition/dist but for right now I just want the car drive able.

I did try to install a pertronix ignitor II and had no luck. Anyone have one of these installed? I have one on my GTO and it works great.  The instructions are pretty straight forward so I am wondering if I possibly got a bad module? Car ran fine with the points but would not fire after the module was installed. I will call their tech line tomorrow to see what the suggest.

1965gp

So I was looking at the calendar and realized I have about 10 weeks of work left to get this car ready for our local Autorama. As part of the deal with my painter; I always try to have a car or two ready for him to enter for him to advertise his driver quality paint jobs. Our plan was to put in the General Lee and my wife's Smokey and the Bandit TA he painted last year...

Loking at the car I am going to have to change my plan a little. The car still starts right up and drives fine- since my last post I have put on new coated headers and flowmasters. Brakes need to be bled but other than that it moves and stops under its own power pretty good.

Original plan was to go through the front suspension the same time as I went through the interior. Was going to go with aftermarket steering box, control arms, sway bars, etc. with the time crunch I am thinking of postponing the front end work. There is a popping coming from the front end so I am just going to have the local shop check it out and fix it with oem parts and bleed the brakes. Hate bleeding brakes!  I will go back and upgrade the front end later.

I have the interior on order from legendary- starting pretty much from scratch. I am going to coat the floors with POR 15 this week, then lay down dynamat and the dynaliner. I figure while the car is at the shop getting the brakes and front end fixed I can recover the seats.  That way when I get the car back it's pretty much just installing the carpet, seats and door panels.

So once the seats are in the car is about 70% there. Then I can move on to the headliner, engine compartment and misc details I can use to clean the car up.

Last things I have to track down is a rear seat (might have found one) and parking lights/turn signals.

Sorry for the long post- going to be a challenge to get it all done since I travel for work a lot but I'm trying to psych myself up for it and make sure I haven't left anything out.

Ultimately I will be very happy if I get to the point where I can paint and detail the undercarriage by the show.

1965gp

Family mopar reminded me that I hadn't updated this in a while. Due to the long delivery of the rallye seats from legendary I ended up changing the sequence of my build.

After painting the inside of the flood with por 15 a laid down the dynamat and dynaliner. Huge benefit from the dynamat in the doors. Sounds much more solid now.

Here is the floor after cleaning- note the seam where it looks like they patched the floor?

And here is where I was laying out the dynamat:

Then I went under the car and got to work. Degreaser, pressure washer, degreaser, pressure washer and finally went over it with paint thinner. I rolled por 15 on the bottom and was able to get decent coverage. I went over it with spray can semi gloss to even out the look- sorry for bad iPhone pics:

1965gp

Then it was time to look at the engine bay. Since the hood is not up on many episodes there isn't too much to go off of. These are the pics I used for reference (thanks Mark!):

Here it is after lots of cleaning and painting. I know- it's black. I would have preferred body color but trying to stay in line with the show and wasn't happy with the orange finish so it got sprayed. Don't worry- master cylinder is getting replaced.

Now I just need to blast the hinges and paint. I am thinking a cast gray color to break up the black.

Finally- start on the interior. I got the carpet in, console in, seat belts, a pillars and kick panels (thanks Indy General Lee- awesome seller) and painted the lower pads / installed upper pad. Sorry for the crappy pic- it was really late and I was ... Err...really drunk:

So- while I still have a ways to go, getting the door panels and seats in will be a huge step. Then it is suspension/brakes, headliner, and about 9000 little things I am not happy with. Progress is progress I guess.

One thing I am unsure of- the car had had quarters, rockers, floor and trunk floor put in. What I don't get is why the entire floor/ jams, dash, etc were painted dark red? That would have to have been done after panel replacement but this was clearly not a rotisserie resto by any means. The underside had some red on it too but that could have been overspray.

All in all I am extremely happy with the progress so far.

JB400

Looks good :2thumbs: :cheers:

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Indygenerallee

Good to see the kick panels and a pillar trim put to good use!! Looks real nice!!  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

1965gp

You were right- fantastic condition. Not brittle at all and took the paint great. I really appreciate the hook up!