News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Vitamin C WIW??? --- Update ---

Started by Redmanf1, July 08, 2014, 06:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redmanf1

I am trying to figure out a fair market value for this 70 bird.

70 Superbird which has its born with original engine. The Engine and trans were professionally rebuilt back to factory specs in Oct 2008 and have the recipes. It has approximately 700 miles since the rebuild.
This car is a one family owner with the original window sticker from 1970. This car has a lot of paperwork with it like the sales receipt. Also on the original window sticker hand written where AC and trailer hitch was dealer added.  This car still retains its original steel nose with vacuum operated headlight and this car has had one dealership repaint in 1978. No panel replacement all original sheet metal.
I believe this Superbird is on the NASCAR list as the 36th conversion date Rec Nov-5 / date shipped Nov-12, it is Vitamin C Orange in color..
Under the hood is the all-original 375 horsepower 440 Super Commando engine with the 727 trans, bucket seats and console. It is a good quality driver car but for show quality it would need to be restored.
Is a nice car to drive and have fun with.
let me know your thought on what a current market value would be for it.

Thanks for any help

Nelson  

Redmanf1

taxspeaker

I think the provenance, the 1 family owner and the numbers matching drive train add tremendous value. Slight reductions for the fender scoop colors, A/C and hitch but not significant. I would guess $125-140,000?

Good luck!

1970Moparmann

Based on recent sales - $110k - $120k for the right buyer.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Redmanf1

Thank you for the replies. The AC and hitch have long been removed but the AC decal is still on the back glass. It also had the six way seat but it has been removed. 
I was not thinking that much since the cars had dropped a few years back. I was thinking under a $100k in todays dollars because I want a no hassle sale? The original purchaser son is still alive and can validate anything to do with the car. He had them painted black because he thought it would be more distinct. I was going to paint them and the front spoiler to match before I sell it.
Keep up the opinions.

Thanks
Nelson

billssuperbird

I think it has the wrong scissor jack handle.  :scratchchin:

Redbird

So maybe I missed something. It had one family ownership for a long time? Then you bought it? So if someone bought it from you it would be the 3rd family that owned it?

BTW very nice car.

Redmanf1

It fits the jack???? What is it supposed to look like?

Thanks

Quote from: billssuperbird on July 09, 2014, 05:14:26 AM
I think it has the wrong scissor jack handle.  :scratchchin:

62 Max

Quote from: Redmanf1 on July 10, 2014, 12:24:37 AM
It fits the jack???? What is it supposed to look like?

Thanks

Quote from: billssuperbird on July 09, 2014, 05:14:26 AM
I think it has the wrong scissor jack handle.  :scratchchin:

Like this.

Redbird

I really do think this is a nice looking car. Nicer than my cars. My suggestion is if you are trying to sell it, address the obvious visual issues.

If it is going to be a third owner car if it sells, just say that.

Exterior paint looks great on the pictures.
The "Plymouth" decals look to be placed wrong.

The interior areas look as kind of a mix of restored and non-restored. Kind of trying to be 2 things.

Trunk
Find the right jack handle.
Jack base and hook look to need different paint.
Repo. trunk mat
Is the trunk light added?
Trunk kind of looks spray bombed over gaskets and fuel tank lines

Interior
Radio & Plate
How is the woodgrain on the Steering wheel?

Engine
Paint on latch tray and z-braces might  be more consistent-if it is the original paint on the z-braces I'd probably leave it. The general look is neither; restored or survivor.
Hose clamps
Electronic Ignition-hide better
Grounds and container in drivers side nose-what is that?
Tray under intake needs paint
PB cover
Radiator-does it need an original one or a Glen-Ray?
Ignition wires
Does it need heater hose bracket(s)?
What is the throttle spring situation?
Added wiring on the firewall?

Any of the simple stuff you could address will help you get a better price.

It sounds like you have a lot of paperwork

It looks like a great car to drive!

Redmanf1

Max62, the picture did not show up???  Thank you

Redbird,
Things like you listed is why I figured it is not a $140K car. Original family title is still available. Yes a whole folder of paper work including original sale order showing the trade in.  
The woodgrain seems fine.
Radiator is aluminum and the Plymouth radiator is included. I think both place extra wires you are talking about are for the electric fans with temp switch and overflow tank.  
I did plan on putting the factory radio back in.
I think z-braces are original paint and to me it looks like the top pan has been repainted black.
I am not that familiar with the superbird so I am not sure about some of the items.

I would still like to get more opinions on a price...

Thanks  

Quote from: Redbird on July 11, 2014, 12:13:18 AM
I really do think this is a nice looking car. Nicer than my cars. My suggestion is if you are trying to sell it, address the obvious visual issues.

If it is going to be a third owner car if it sells, just say that.

Exterior paint looks great on the pictures.
The "Plymouth" decals look to be placed wrong.

The interior areas look as kind of a mix of restored and non-restored. Kind of trying to be 2 things.

Trunk
Find the right jack handle.
Jack base and hook look to need different paint.
Repo. trunk mat
Is the trunk light added?
Trunk kind of looks spray bombed over gaskets and fuel tank lines

Interior
Radio & Plate
How is the woodgrain on the Steering wheel?

Engine
Paint on latch tray and z-braces might  be more consistent-if it is the original paint on the z-braces I'd probably leave it. The general look is neither; restored or survivor.
Hose clamps
Electronic Ignition-hide better
Grounds and container in drivers side nose-what is that?
Tray under intake needs paint
PB cover
Radiator-does it need an original one or a Glen-Ray?
Ignition wires
Does it need heater hose bracket(s)?
What is the throttle spring situation?
Added wiring on the firewall?

Any of the simple stuff you could address will help you get a better price.

It sounds like you have a lot of paperwork

It looks like a great car to drive!

gtx6970

Looks like it's neither restored or  unrestored. But a nice looking car .
SO from there it's gonna come down to how clean it is and how nice it is to drive.

That said I doubt it'll break $100K, probably somewhere in the $70K to $90 K range. IMO,,,,To get to the higher range a few things need some attention. Radio, Radiator, fender scoops color , parts store battery cables  etc etc
Much more than that I think your starting to touch on sixpack  and/or restored car  territory.

:Twocents:

PM sent

Redmanf1

Thank you all for the replies and the PM's.
:2thumbs:

Redmanf1

wingcarenvy

Sooooo. What was the verdict? Did you sell it? How much did it go for?

Beep Beep Dave

I am a bit curious too. In my mind the original sheetmetal and paperwork are big pluses.

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Redmanf1

I have not listed anywhere yet. I have been too busy with house projects.

Thanks

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 13, 2014, 10:33:22 AM
Looks like it's neither restored or  unrestored. But a nice looking car .
SO from there it's gonna come down to how clean it is and how nice it is to drive.

That said I doubt it'll break $100K, probably somewhere in the $70K to $90 K range. IMO,,,,To get to the higher range a few things need some attention. Radio, Radiator, fender scoops color , parts store battery cables  etc etc
Much more than that I think your starting to touch on sixpack  and/or restored car  territory.

:Twocents:

PM sent

I haven't been following the wing car market like I use to but I agree with Bill. I don't think it would be a $100k + car.
I'd be curious to what others here thought.

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

wingcarenvy

That's weird. You told me on the phone that you had multiple offers over 90k. You led me to believe that you had it pretty much sold.

Redmanf1

As I told you and others I have changes that I want to do before I sale it. I had and have some offers but I think if I do some of the things mentioned above it will be to my benefit. Some offers also involved trades that I decided that I was not interested in. It's not a fire sell and I have had other things that take priority..  

After seeing other cars for sell and some sold I feel that with the documentation and condition of the car it is worth more than $90K.

Thank you all for the help and opinions

Quote from: wingcarenvy on September 30, 2014, 12:19:34 PM
That's weird. You told me on the phone that you had multiple offers over 90k. You led me to believe that you had it pretty much sold.

rainbow4jd

OK - let me see if I can digest this and see what "truth" is in between the lines.   Maybe something like this....

"I don't actually own the car at all - but I know who does.   I'm trying to make a big profit for me and a little profit for him/her.    I figure what ever you all tell me its worth, I'll hit the guy at 25% less and see if he bites.   I actually don't give a crap about these cars at all - I just want to turn a quick buck with no investment time on my hands.    If its worth $120, I'll offer the guy $90 and then figure I can do a few tweaks and maybe get $140 for it.   OH CRAP!  The guy turned down my offer of $90 grand and has actually figured out the Bird is worth the $120 you all said it is.   My chance to make a few bucks as a middle man / broker just went all to heck!"

Pretty much sums it up?

1970Moparmann

Quote from: rainbow4jd on October 03, 2014, 07:08:28 PM
OK - let me see if I can digest this and see what "truth" is in between the lines.   Maybe something like this....

"I don't actually own the car at all - but I know who does.   I'm trying to make a big profit for me and a little profit for him/her.    I figure what ever you all tell me its worth, I'll hit the guy at 25% less and see if he bites.   I actually don't give a crap about these cars at all - I just want to turn a quick buck with no investment time on my hands.    If its worth $120, I'll offer the guy $90 and then figure I can do a few tweaks and maybe get $140 for it.   OH CRAP!  The guy turned down my offer of $90 grand and has actually figured out the Bird is worth the $120 you all said it is.   My chance to make a few bucks as a middle man / broker just went all to heck!"

Pretty much sums it up?

Your an ass. :Twocents:  He asked for an opinion, and that is what he got.  Why don't you go onto Moparts, you'll fit in just perfectly.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Redmanf1

Steve looks like your physic does not work worth a crap..
As I stated in an earlier post I have things to take care of before I advertise it for sale. My other reason for asking a current value was to see how much $$$ that I should put into as a partial restoration or correcting items. Like an $800 jack and handle is a no but clamps and battery cables and a few other things will be taken care of. I did not know the jack and handle were incorrect until posted here. Thank you to the other members that have been helpful, some of which I have talked to on the phone. If for some reason that you feel it is any of your business you are more than welcome to contact me.

Best regards

Nelson

OK - let me see if I can digest this and see what "truth" is in between the lines.   Maybe something like this....

"I don't actually own the car at all - but I know who does.   I'm trying to make a big profit for me and a little profit for him/her.    I figure what ever you all tell me its worth, I'll hit the guy at 25% less and see if he bites.   I actually don't give a crap about these cars at all - I just want to turn a quick buck with no investment time on my hands.    If its worth $120, I'll offer the guy $90 and then figure I can do a few tweaks and maybe get $140 for it.   OH CRAP!  The guy turned down my offer of $90 grand and has actually figured out the Bird is worth the $120 you all said it is.   My chance to make a few bucks as a middle man / broker just went all to heck!"

Pretty much sums it up?

rainbow4jd

No worries, man - and no offense intended - just a little humor in regards to general "what's it worth" questions!   

We seem to get a billion of the WIW inquires from "newbies" on the site who really are just about turning a buck or in some cases are trying to "steal a car" that they've found and turn it as a quick resell - and based on some of the other comments on your post it looked like this one fit that pattern.

Ultimately, here's the deal.   It is ONLY worth exactly what a guy will hand you cash for....   everything else is speculation.   

Everyone on this board can tell you the car is worth $100,000, but IF I'm the only guy in front of you with REAL money - and I offer you $100 - then its worth $100.     Certainly, you're not obligated to take my offer because you may believe you can find someone who will pay you more - but worth is based on what someone will actually hand you in cash.   An offer to buy - defines the worth.  Other than that, its speculation.

My general opinion on worth is go look and see what they've actually sold for....   you can look at eBay history, Mecum, and BJ.    A real historical sale carries 10x the weight of a web opinion.

Good luck

Quote from: Redmanf1 on October 03, 2014, 09:37:28 PM
Steve looks like your physic does not work worth a crap..
As I stated in an earlier post I have things to take care of before I advertise it for sale. My other reason for asking a current value was to see how much $$$ that I should put into as a partial restoration or correcting items. Like an $800 jack and handle is a no but clamps and battery cables and a few other things will be taken care of. I did not know the jack and handle were incorrect until posted here. Thank you to the other members that have been helpful, some of which I have talked to on the phone. If for some reason that you feel it is any of your business you are more than welcome to contact me.

Best regards

Nelson

Pretty much sums it up?