News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY DREAM CAR

Started by Benfro89, July 09, 2014, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benfro89

Well guys heres the story I am a 16 year old teenager that works two jobs and has been working on mostly bikes and some cars all my life. I am very meticulous and spend hours perfecting me work. I am looking for the perfect charger for me i have been looking for 3 months now and had a perfect car slip out from under me.(that was a hard day) Now Im back on my horse and determined to find the best Dodge Charger I can for AROUND 6000. Please help me I promise its for a good cause I just have questions about models and preferences. The picture of the bike is one of the bikes i have built up myself just to show you what im talking about, and the charger is the one i just barely missed. Hope i can get some help thank you for your time guys  :2thumbs:

Here are the best cars I can find at the moment:
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4503630883.html
http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4535132337.html(I believe this is a RT the owner said it has a 4 speed)
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4557383678.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4555394601.html
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4552551283.html (I believe this is a original rally car)
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/4518465053.html
LOOKING FOR THE ONE :)

Baldwinvette77

Whoa dude, hope you have some pennies saved up afterwards, they will all need work  :coolgleamA:

ALSO WELCOME  :2thumbs:

Seems like mostly 3rd gens and a 68, What do you have your heart set on a 68-70, or 71-74? in my opinion most of those 71-74 models are over priced  :shruggy:

Benfro89

This is the shop at my house and one of the bikes to show you what i do(I bought this bike for $500 now it looks like that)

This is the charger that fell through  :'(

Benfro89

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 09, 2014, 05:42:21 PM
Whoa dude, hope you have some pennies saved up afterwards, they will all need work  :coolgleamA:

ALSO WELCOME  :2thumbs:

Ha yeah i think im gonna have to sell that race bike :( but what do you guys think is the best charger after 70? I love the 70s but their just crazy expensive

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Benfro89 on July 09, 2014, 05:45:36 PM

Ha yeah i think im gonna have to sell that race bike :( but what do you guys think is the best charger after 70? I love the 70s but their just crazy expensive

well..... people are more partial to the 71/72 styling, but 73 and 74 are more plentiful and less expensive, but i wouldn't give up on a 68-70 just yet, according to most members here there are plenty of them for under 6k  :lol:  :scratchchin:

Benfro89

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 09, 2014, 05:47:53 PM

well..... people are more partial to the 71/72 styling, but 73 and 74 are more plentiful and less expensive, but i wouldn't give up on a 68-70 just yet, according to most members here there are plenty of them for under 6k  :lol:  :scratchchin:

Wow really that would be great I got to be honest with you it would be great to find a car in the next couple weeks

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Benfro89 on July 09, 2014, 05:54:21 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 09, 2014, 05:47:53 PM

ALSO WELCOME  :2thumbs:

well..... people are more partial to the 71/72 styling, but 73 and 74 are more plentiful and less expensive, but i wouldn't give up on a 68-70 just yet, according to most members here there are plenty of them for under 6k  :lol:  :scratchchin:

Wow really that would be great I got to be honest with you it would be great to find a car in the next couple weeks

THAT... would be a little tougher  :lol: Maybe check out the classifieds section, or post a wanted ad, some people only hang out there and may never see this thread,  :lol:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109693.0.html 5k for this 69, he needs it gone, ask for pics, location, make an offer  :shruggy:

familymopar

That 73 in Nashville doesn't look too bad.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Benfro89

Quote from: familymopar on July 09, 2014, 06:19:14 PM

Yeah I like that and the 73 in Wisconsin that's a rally the 71 rally is also nice

polywideblock

3rd gen are definitely cheaper to buy than 2nd gen    :Twocents:

you can get a driver 3rd gen for the price of a "basket case " 2nd gen  :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

billschroeder5842

The 73 in Nashville is your best option. The solid paint is a big bonus. Unless you do it yourself, a pain job is expensive.

Northern cars have BIG rust potential, so be careful.

Buy the best car that you can afford---repairs are way expensive.

Texas Proud!

familymopar

Quote from: polywideblock on July 09, 2014, 06:30:08 PM
3rd gen are definitely cheaper to buy than 2nd gen    :Twocents:

you can get a driver 3rd gen for the price of a "basket case " 2nd gen  :yesnod:

Absolutely.  But if he wants help finding his dream car he needs to know what that is.  If OP will never be happy with a 3rd gen because he really wanted a 2nd gen, or vice versa, then now is the time to determine that since any of them are going to end up being a lot of work and money.

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on July 09, 2014, 06:38:13 PM
The 73 in Nashville is your best option. The solid paint is a big bonus. Unless you do it yourself, a pain job is expensive.

Northern cars have BIG rust potential, so be careful.

Buy the best car that you can afford---repairs are way expensive.

I completely agree.

Quote from: Benfro89 on July 09, 2014, 06:20:58 PM
Quote from: familymopar on July 09, 2014, 06:19:14 PM

Yeah I like that and the 73 in Wisconsin that's a rally the 71 rally is also nice

I think the Nashville car wins that battle hands down.

These cars you posted are all over the states.  Where are you located?  A car in your area is going to be a lot cheaper than a car across the country.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Benfro89

Ik what you guys mean about not being happy here's where I'm at I would prefer a 71 72 if I'm looking at 3rd Gen and the reason is they had hide a way head lights which I like better but if it's worth going with the nicer 73s im game in just ready to get a nice charger :P lots of hard work to get the money do you guys think it would be worth using the money from one of my bikes to pull together 10k? Would the extra money help out that much?

Thanks for all the help guys very informative

familymopar

Here's a 68 I found local and have been speaking with the fellow about picking it up myself.  I have not nailed him down on a solid price yet but it will be (relatively) low.  He had the car at his storage in East Texas and just brought it to Houston for me to check out 2 days ago.  I have not made it over there yet.  Car supposedly has the complete grill assembly and many other parts that go with it, and supposedly has a 440 and a 727 in it now.  It is an XP car, originally fitted with a 2 barrel 383.  I am not stuck on it if it's up your alley.  It is in Houston.  I am looking at it as a project to do with my 6 year old with plans to be done when he is 16 or so.

I mainly show this picture to show that in 2nd gens this is probably about as good as $6k will get you, whereas in 3rd gens you could get something to maybe even drive home, like the Nashville car.  Then again, I'd wait on a 68 before settling for anything else.  It's all personal preference but you need to know what you are looking for.  Something to think about anyway.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

familymopar

Quote from: Benfro89 on July 09, 2014, 06:54:45 PM
Ik what you guys mean about not being happy here's where I'm at I would prefer a 71 72 if I'm looking at 3rd Gen and the reason is they had hide a way head lights which I like better but if it's worth going with the nicer 73s im game in just ready to get a nice charger :P lots of hard work to get the money do you guys think it would be worth using the money from one of my bikes to pull together 10k? Would the extra money help out that much?

Thanks for all the help guys very informative

Sorry, you had posted while I was typing so I did not see this.  If you are clearly in favor of a 3rd gen I personally think the difference in $6k and $10k is pretty big for what you'll get.  Just depends on how much you like that bike vs how much you want a charger I guess.  No matter what you spend up front, you need to count on sinking a whole lot more into it.  And like was said before, it will end up being a lot cheaper buying the best one you can to begin with.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Benfro89

Quote from: familymopar on July 09, 2014, 06:58:27 PM
Here's a 68 I found local and have been speaking with the fellow about picking it up myself.  I have not nailed him down on a solid price yet but it will be (relatively) low.  He had the car at his storage in East Texas and just brought it to Houston for me to check out 2 days ago.  I have not made it over there yet.  Car supposedly has the complete grill assembly and many other parts that go with it, and supposedly has a 440 and a 727 in it now.  It is an XP car, originally fitted with a 2 barrel 383.  I am not stuck on it if it's up your alley.  It is in Houston.  I am looking at it as a project to do with my 6 year old with plans to be done when he is 16 or so.

I mainly show this picture to show that in 2nd gens this is probably about as good as $6k will get you, whereas in 3rd gens you could get something to maybe even drive home, like the Nashville car.  Then again, I'd wait on a 68 before settling for anything else.  It's all personal preference but you need to know what you are looking for.  Something to think about anyway.

Wow that's great actually hope I'm located in Oklahoma so not to far off a drive how long do you think the restoration process would be to get it driving?

Oh and by the way guys that car for 2650 was a 400 car and has 29 in the vin what does that mean?

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Benfro89 on July 09, 2014, 07:04:14 PM
Quote from: familymopar on July 09, 2014, 06:58:27 PM

Wow that's great actually hope I'm located in Oklahoma so not to far off a drive how long do you think the restoration process would be to get it driving?

Oh and by the way guys that car for 2650 was a 400 car and has 29 in the vin what does that mean?

2 years? depending on the money you have to spend on it  :shruggy:

familymopar

Quote from: Benfro89 on July 09, 2014, 07:04:14 PM

Oklahoma is nice and central I suppose but keep in mind shipping costs on any of these.  Or you can go get it yourself but that will cost at least as much in most cases.

The restoration time depends on too many factors.  Are you gonna do it yourself or pay somebody a lot of money to do it?  Either way it will not be quick or cheap.

Do you mean the car has a 29 in the vin as in xp29xxxxxx?  If so the 29 means 2 door sports hardtop.

Here is a vin decoder, one of many: http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-vin-decoder.php

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Benfro89

What do they men by sports? And I love the 68-70 but I'm ok with most years of looking for a car that I can get running in a couple weeks or is runing I have no preference on the engine because I most likely will be dropping a 340 or 440 in also what is the difference between se and rally?

Thanks

chargerperson

You could consider a 66-67 charger.  Different looks/appearance but a fair amount cheaper.  You can find a decent driver for $6k

RallyeMike

QuoteWow really that would be great I got to be honest with you it would be great to find a car in the next couple weeks

My best advise would be not to set a time line and don't rush. The best deals don't come just because you want them. Keep saving and keep watching and in the end you'll be glad you did.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Benfro89

Quote from: chargerperson on July 09, 2014, 07:46:41 PM
You could consider a 66-67 charger.  Different looks/appearance but a fair amount cheaper.  You can find a decent driver for $6k

Man I would but I'm in love with the best bodies good idea though

Sorry b bodies 

Baldwinvette77

Benfro89

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 09, 2014, 07:48:56 PM
se and rally for 73 and 74 have different quarter windows

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af148/mrhws/1974%20Dodge%20Charger%20440%20Rallye/74RallyeDriver.jpg

Thats a rally

http://www.moparts.org/moparts/picture/oldweb/5/Brockway0.jpg

Thats an SE, the window behind the doors are changed

Oh Ok thanks but one thing what about the price scale like what was the top how did rally and se sit was rally the top and se the standard edition? Sorry I don't know

familymopar

Quote from: Benfro89 on July 09, 2014, 07:48:05 PM
Quote from: chargerperson on July 09, 2014, 07:46:41 PM
You could consider a 66-67 charger.  Different looks/appearance but a fair amount cheaper.  You can find a decent driver for $6k

Man I would but I'm in love with the best bodies good idea though

Sorry b bodies 

They are all b bodies

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 09, 2014, 07:47:17 PM
QuoteWow really that would be great I got to be honest with you it would be great to find a car in the next couple weeks

My best advise would be not to set a time line and don't rush. The best deals don't come just because you want them. Keep saving and keep watching and in the end you'll be glad you did.

This is the best advice you're gonna find. 

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8