News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clone ProStreet bird project back in the chassis shop.

Started by BPTRacing, July 11, 2014, 02:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPTRacing

I started my tubbed street car/race car project 6+ years ago. It moved along at a steady pace for the first 2 years. Then a "professional" chassis shop bent me over a rail and had the car for over 2 years. I got it back after $9000 - uncompleted and several things completely wrong. It has been parked for nearly 3 years and I have been losing faith and interest.

This week I finally got it out and over to a friends welding shop to at least try and straighten out some of the BS from the last guy. It is killing me to remove the body and cut out bars I have already paid to have put together, but it is the only way to do it right.

3 days work have been showing some hope of progress.

Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Mopar John

Scott,
I feel your pain in all the rework! You'll be glad you did it once you get that monster running!
MJ

RallyeMike

That entire section from the frame stub to the A-pillar bars is ridiculously laid out. What were they thinking? I can only hope that it was half done and they had some ingenious plan to make it work, but I can't see what it might have been. Lotsa work to do.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BPTRacing

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 11, 2014, 09:55:19 PM
That entire section from the frame stub to the A-pillar bars is ridiculously laid out. What were they thinking? I can only hope that it was half done and they had some ingenious plan to make it work, but I can't see what it might have been. Lotsa work to do.

You are correct. I had left instructions to keep the stock front rails. I came back to find 15" inches cut off and tubes sticking out of the firewall. NOT the "stock" look I was going for.

I left it looking like this.

RallyeMike

....so do you start over with new frame rails, try and extend the current ones, or go full tube?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BPTRacing

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 12, 2014, 11:11:35 AM
....so do you start over with new frame rails, try and extend the current ones, or go full tube?

Looks like we are going to try and extend the existing ones, leaving the round tube in place inside the extensions. Also connecting the extension to the bottom cross bar.

41husk

Is that the shop that holds the Mopar reunion in August or September?  I went one year and had a great time.  I need to get back to that show if they still have it.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Mike DC

:Twocents:  

I'm not sure why you would still be jumping through any hoops to keep the stock subframe rails.  So much else is already visibly custom, even just the area ahead of the firewall alone.

Stevearino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 12, 2014, 01:20:14 PM

:Twocents: 

I'm not sure why you would still be jumping through any hoops to keep the stock subframe rails.  So much else is already visibly custom, even just the area ahead of the firewall alone.

I would agree with Mike. That whole area that kicks over from the tubing running along the rocker to the front frame rails looks pretty hokey. The kick outs need to be a bit more substantial.  :Twocents:

Great that you are getting back to it though. I hate to depend on other people to work on anything I have. Seems like it is common operating practice today to disregard the customers wishes and then to hold their stuff hostage. :rotz:

Should be a great build. :2thumbs:

BPTRacing

Quote from: 41husk on July 12, 2014, 01:16:36 PM
Is that the shop that holds the Mopar reunion in August or September?  I went one year and had a great time.  I need to get back to that show if they still have it.

Yes!

Jim Falbe has been hosting the Clinton Mopar Reunion for 20 years now.
Last year about 90 cars showed up.
It is always the weekend after Mopar Nationals (Aug. 16 this year).

I highly recommend attending!
for more details you can call him at 217-935-3999

I am relocating to Lockport Louisiana Aug. 1st, but hoping to return for a few days to attend the show.

QuoteI'm not sure why you would still be jumping through any hoops to keep the stock subframe rails.  So much else is already visibly custom, even just the area ahead of the firewall alone.

Once completed, the front frame rails will be much more "stock" appearing. And I have a new firewall from AMD on the way. I have often found certain race rules requiring stock front sub-frames with bolt-on parts allowed. So, I have a RMS alter-k-tion on basically stock  ;) frame rails. Firewall is in stock location.