News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

505 engine build complete and Dyno Tested

Started by john108, July 14, 2014, 01:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

I have been buying parts for this engine for many many years.  Finally the engine was built and dyno tested.
I followed the recommendations that were provided on this board, except for the cam.  I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I am giving up horsepower.  The advice was spot-on as I compared my dyno data to others that posted their data.  I was down some horsepower, and max torque but that is OK as my car, when completed, may see the strip only on a rare occasion.  My decision was based on getting a more street friendly engine with approximately 14 inches of idle vacuum (much greater at cruise).  So, I got the vacuum and eventually we will see how street friendly it will be.

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

john108

Here is the graph.  It won't win any races but looks good to me.

RECHRGD

Those numbers are great for a street car.  Wish I had that kind of power under the hood.  Nothing to be ashamed of there at all....
13.53 @ 105.32

Musicman

Al

These are great numbers for a street car lots of tire frying torque  :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

firefighter3931

Nice work John  :2thumbs:

I know you've been sorting this one out for awhile and we've exchanged a lot of pm's over the past few years on this build.  :icon_smile_big:

I'd be happy with 530hp/600tq on pump gas with 14in of idle vacuum.  :cheers:

How about a quick rundown of the build  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

john108

Here is the Parts List

firefighter3931

Thanks for posting the build sheet John....good info  :2thumbs:

Looks like you went with the MP528 solid cam & it's working well.  :yesnod:

The 112* lobe center is letting it hang on longer in the upper RPM's....only a 20hp drop at 500rpm past peak power. I'd be happy with that  :icon_smile_big:

What rocker arms did you end up using ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

john108

I guess I have been delinquent on keeping my list up to date: Hughes 15203

Kern Dog

I'm looking to a switch to that same cam for my 493. Good to see that others are still using it. The power and torque look to be quite good and not "peaky". I see no reason to spin a long stroke engine much past 6000 rpms.
Good for you! What kind of headers & exhaust do you plan to use? What car, what gears?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: john108 on July 15, 2014, 12:30:19 PM
Here is the Parts List

now I can copy this build...how much this cost again?  :icon_smile_big:

john108

TTI 1-7/8 Headers, The balance of the exhaust is TBD.
The rear end ratio is still undecided, with 500 ft-lb of torque at the stock converter stall,  rear end and stall are TBD.
As far as cost, I don't want to know.  
'68 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: john108 on July 15, 2014, 01:20:57 PM
I guess I have been delinquent on keeping my list up to date: Hughes 15203

Those are the Hughes 1.6 roller rockers....good choice with the MP 528 cam  :2thumbs:

The TTI 1 7/8 headers are a perfect match as well  :yesnod:

Ron

john108

Thank you Ron

I went with the 1.6 to get an equivalent lift as the comp cam with less overlap. 

cazz

What would be a friendly stall for that kind of streetable build????

BSB67

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 15, 2014, 01:04:18 PM

The 112* lobe center is letting it hang on longer in the upper RPM's....only a 20hp drop at 500rpm past peak power. I'd be happy with that  :icon_smile_big:

Exactly.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Kern Dog

Quote from: cazz on July 16, 2014, 12:19:02 PM
What would be a friendly stall for that kind of streetable build????

I have a 70 Charger with a 493, a 727 and a 3.91 diff with a Gear Vendors overdrive. I plan to switch to the same Mopar 284/528 cam. I've asked around and the consensus is that an 11" converter is the best choice for a street car. I figure it might have stall in the 2400-2500 range. Great for a street car and a good match for the camshafts power range.

Kern Dog

I'm glad that you posted this along with the dyno results. Over 500 ft/lbs of torque at 2500? That will get just about ANY car moving in a hurry.
I did go ahead and get a .528 cam for my 493 along with tan 11" converter from Ultimate Converter Concepts. Andy Finkbeiner likes the 528 cam with 1.6 rocker arms for 440, 451, 470 and larger stroked big blocks. I switched to adjustable 1.6 rocker arms so I see no reason to use a hydraulic cam for my engine. My car is a 70 Charger weighing about 4000 lbs. I should still be able to get into the high 11s if I care to try.
Thanks again, Greg

fizz

Did you get a chance to install the engine? If so, what do you think?

Kern Dog

I'm curious too. I've been tied up with stuff and haven't been able to swap to the 528 cam I bought last Summer.

EDIT: 5-20-15

I realized after I made this post WHO John 108 is!
Hi John. Hope all is well.

Kern Dog

You are going to like that engine. I just got the 528 in and the engine running again. Nice idle with a slight lope. The exhaust tone is still great. The idle vacuum went from 10 in Park to 17. from 4-5 in gear to 13. The engine easily smokes the 295-45 series tires too...

Kern Dog

The OP has his car at a body and paint shop, been there since just before Christmas. He expects to have it back in a few more weeks.  From there I imagine he is going to begin screwing the car back together.

c00nhunterjoe

Im curious what the converter will do in it. Im betting 2700 on a stock converter with that kind of torque down low.... assuming it doesnt destroy the tires 1st. Lol

skingjack

Curious, Would any of the engine gurus like to speculate what a set of ootb Trickflow heads might add to this combination ?

Thanks for your input.

Jack