News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cheapest Gas Prices You Can Remember?

Started by my73charger, August 08, 2005, 09:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

my73charger

Thought this might be interesting.  What are the cheapest gas prices you can ever remember?  I remember when gas was 52 cents a gallon.  My dad would freak when it hit 54 cents... Thieving Bas@#%ds!!  Gouging like crazy they are!

BrianShaughnessy

Around 50 or 55 cents a gallon or so back in '77 when I got my license.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

chargerkid

I paid 79 cents in Georgia on my way to Florida.  This was after the winter of 2002.  I can't beleive these gas prices.  I have a RAM Dually V10 and an Excursion Limited V10.

Old Moparz

Under a buck, maybe around $0.75 or so, but I forget the exact amount since I've been driving. As a kid, maybe $0.50 or so? (Didn't really pay attention.)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

RT DAVE

68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

sunfire69

I remember my Dad pulling his 69 Charger into the gas station and filling up for $5 not dead empty of course..
Jerry

tomonty

90 cents..when I started driving in 94 or so. Started climbing shortly thereafter.
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

Wakko

99 cents and 1.15 for premium.  If my Monte Carlo was REALLY empty, it would take over $20.  When gas hit 1.40 for premium I want "Holy crap!  Now it's 25 bucks to fill my car??"  Now I spend 30 to fill the Charger and suuuuure don't go very far.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Brock Samson

36 cents per gallon and you got either s&h green stamps or the pink stamps you could redeem for dishes or toys... there were attendants too who washed your windhield and checked your oil... i feel sooooo old...   :icon_smile_sad:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Stratocharger on August 08, 2005, 11:44:48 AM
36 cents per gallon and you got either s&h green stamps or the pink stamps you could redeem for dishes or toys...
Hah! I forgot all about those! :lol:

I remember when gas hit 80 cents...that of course was when I started having to buy it myself...in about 1980.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Lowprofile

Around the .50/.55 cent a gal. mark sounds right. I remember buying a tankful of gas for my 70' Charger SE  for around $11!  Ahh, the good old days :bawling:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

triple_green

I have a receipt for the first tank of premium put in my Charger in May 1968. 32.9/gallon. A Shell station 2 blocks S. of the Dealership the Charger was purchased at. Both businesses still exist, and the Shell sells racing fuel as well.

I remember 25.9 at a chevron in SF bay area(1966). You could see the refinery in the background while filling up at the station.

3X

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

MyMopar

When I started buying in CT it was $0.89 a gallon.  Early 90's.  I can remember when I got my Texaco card and would freak when premium was $1.499.  I paid over $380 one month just for gas for the Charger only.  Now if I do take her out, it is $2.719 per gallon premium.
Oh and the news last week just said that the oil company profits are at an all time high for a quarter, I wonder why? :flame:

Silver R/T

I remember .99c for 87 about 5 yrs ago
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Plumcrazy

In high school I remember paying about 32 or 33 cents a gallon.
We would pass the hat around, everybody would throw in whatever loose change they had in their pocket and we'd have enough to drive around on that night.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Ponch ®

when I first started driving (in late 96-early 97) it was .89 or so, and it hovered at around that price for a year or so.

Funny story about that, one time I was filling up before I headed for school and a tv news crew was doing a story on the cheap gas prices(!). They came over and asked me if I wanted to be interviewed. They asked me if I knew why prices were so low. Now, the day before we had a pretty long conversation on that very subject in my economics class, so i proceeded to give em a full on lecture which ended with "and that's why it's cheap". I told everyone at school and I got home later that night waiting to see my incredible performance. So the report comes on...and they showed me for half a second saying "cheap".

BTW   also remember in late '01- early '02, gas was at .99 or so.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

chargerhunter

The lowest I can remember is around .75 per gallon in the early 80's. I would just like to see it at $1.50 again!!  :rotz: :rotz:
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

my73charger

Ahh the good old days.  I remember full service and getting the winshield washed...always.  My Dad parked a 57 Merc he had when prices hit 25 cents.  He went out and bought a volkswagon bug...yuck!  I wonder if we will ever see under $2 again. :icon_smile_sad:

BigBadCharger

95 cents for the cheap stuff. Now it's 2.59 for 87!  :icon_smile_angry: :flame:
How's your wife and my kids?

69_500

When I first started driving it was around $.80 a gallon. However the cheapest I ever paid was $.067 for unleaded and $.77 for premium. Both times in Georgia. Funny thing is that at that time it was $1.55 for some 110 octane racing fuel and I thought that was outrageous.

When I first picked up my 74 Plymouth Duster I filled it up with 108 octane gas for $1.42 a gallon, and thought it was going to kill me to spend $30 for a tank of gas.

Now when I stop in the 500 to fill it up it is closer to $52-55 to fill the car up with just premium.

67RedCharger

Back in 57/58 I remember the gas wars that brought the gas down to .19 /9 a gallon for regular.  I was driving a 46 Mercury back then, and still could hardly afford to fill the beast up. Pack of cigarettes were .20 a pack with a bottle coke at .05 a bottle.  McDonald hamburgers were .15 a clip.
Hey the gas back then had lead in the stuff which would make the stuff racing fuel today.  Back then it was plain and simple "GO Juice"

~ 67RedCharger ~
Original Owner "Ole Red" 1967 Red Dodge Charger

charger490

i know this will hurt guys but 6 gallons for a 1.00 back in 1940 cigaretts 15.cents  charger490

ChargerRob

.78 cent a gallon is lowest I bought gas for.
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

NHCharger

Not sure. I got my license in November 74 right when the oil  embargo was about to hit. I remember sitting in line for 45 minutes for $5.00 of gas (that's all the station would sell you) thinking that life sucks.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

gsmopar

Quote from: RT DAVE on August 08, 2005, 11:30:40 AM
about $.87.   I'm only 30.  

+1, I think it was 1998 and I'm 31!    ;D

Gas...Smash...   Hybrid vehicles, 30+ mpg...   It's all a band aid for the problem which I feel is fossil fuel period!   My charger would be much happier running on alcohol.   I'm sure that there are multiple other safer/cleaner fuels we could be burning, but OPEC lobbiests keep us paying the middle east our hard earn $$$.   

my $.02.   You guys?