News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cheapest Gas Prices You Can Remember?

Started by my73charger, August 08, 2005, 09:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

my73charger

Thought this might be interesting.  What are the cheapest gas prices you can ever remember?  I remember when gas was 52 cents a gallon.  My dad would freak when it hit 54 cents... Thieving Bas@#%ds!!  Gouging like crazy they are!

BrianShaughnessy

Around 50 or 55 cents a gallon or so back in '77 when I got my license.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

chargerkid

I paid 79 cents in Georgia on my way to Florida.  This was after the winter of 2002.  I can't beleive these gas prices.  I have a RAM Dually V10 and an Excursion Limited V10.

Old Moparz

Under a buck, maybe around $0.75 or so, but I forget the exact amount since I've been driving. As a kid, maybe $0.50 or so? (Didn't really pay attention.)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

RT DAVE

68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

sunfire69

I remember my Dad pulling his 69 Charger into the gas station and filling up for $5 not dead empty of course..
Jerry

tomonty

90 cents..when I started driving in 94 or so. Started climbing shortly thereafter.
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

Wakko

99 cents and 1.15 for premium.  If my Monte Carlo was REALLY empty, it would take over $20.  When gas hit 1.40 for premium I want "Holy crap!  Now it's 25 bucks to fill my car??"  Now I spend 30 to fill the Charger and suuuuure don't go very far.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Brock Samson

36 cents per gallon and you got either s&h green stamps or the pink stamps you could redeem for dishes or toys... there were attendants too who washed your windhield and checked your oil... i feel sooooo old...   :icon_smile_sad:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Stratocharger on August 08, 2005, 11:44:48 AM
36 cents per gallon and you got either s&h green stamps or the pink stamps you could redeem for dishes or toys...
Hah! I forgot all about those! :lol:

I remember when gas hit 80 cents...that of course was when I started having to buy it myself...in about 1980.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Lowprofile

Around the .50/.55 cent a gal. mark sounds right. I remember buying a tankful of gas for my 70' Charger SE  for around $11!  Ahh, the good old days :bawling:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

triple_green

I have a receipt for the first tank of premium put in my Charger in May 1968. 32.9/gallon. A Shell station 2 blocks S. of the Dealership the Charger was purchased at. Both businesses still exist, and the Shell sells racing fuel as well.

I remember 25.9 at a chevron in SF bay area(1966). You could see the refinery in the background while filling up at the station.

3X

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

MyMopar

When I started buying in CT it was $0.89 a gallon.  Early 90's.  I can remember when I got my Texaco card and would freak when premium was $1.499.  I paid over $380 one month just for gas for the Charger only.  Now if I do take her out, it is $2.719 per gallon premium.
Oh and the news last week just said that the oil company profits are at an all time high for a quarter, I wonder why? :flame:

Silver R/T

I remember .99c for 87 about 5 yrs ago
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Plumcrazy

In high school I remember paying about 32 or 33 cents a gallon.
We would pass the hat around, everybody would throw in whatever loose change they had in their pocket and we'd have enough to drive around on that night.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Ponch ®

when I first started driving (in late 96-early 97) it was .89 or so, and it hovered at around that price for a year or so.

Funny story about that, one time I was filling up before I headed for school and a tv news crew was doing a story on the cheap gas prices(!). They came over and asked me if I wanted to be interviewed. They asked me if I knew why prices were so low. Now, the day before we had a pretty long conversation on that very subject in my economics class, so i proceeded to give em a full on lecture which ended with "and that's why it's cheap". I told everyone at school and I got home later that night waiting to see my incredible performance. So the report comes on...and they showed me for half a second saying "cheap".

BTW   also remember in late '01- early '02, gas was at .99 or so.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

chargerhunter

The lowest I can remember is around .75 per gallon in the early 80's. I would just like to see it at $1.50 again!!  :rotz: :rotz:
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

my73charger

Ahh the good old days.  I remember full service and getting the winshield washed...always.  My Dad parked a 57 Merc he had when prices hit 25 cents.  He went out and bought a volkswagon bug...yuck!  I wonder if we will ever see under $2 again. :icon_smile_sad:

BigBadCharger

95 cents for the cheap stuff. Now it's 2.59 for 87!  :icon_smile_angry: :flame:
How's your wife and my kids?

69_500

When I first started driving it was around $.80 a gallon. However the cheapest I ever paid was $.067 for unleaded and $.77 for premium. Both times in Georgia. Funny thing is that at that time it was $1.55 for some 110 octane racing fuel and I thought that was outrageous.

When I first picked up my 74 Plymouth Duster I filled it up with 108 octane gas for $1.42 a gallon, and thought it was going to kill me to spend $30 for a tank of gas.

Now when I stop in the 500 to fill it up it is closer to $52-55 to fill the car up with just premium.

67RedCharger

Back in 57/58 I remember the gas wars that brought the gas down to .19 /9 a gallon for regular.  I was driving a 46 Mercury back then, and still could hardly afford to fill the beast up. Pack of cigarettes were .20 a pack with a bottle coke at .05 a bottle.  McDonald hamburgers were .15 a clip.
Hey the gas back then had lead in the stuff which would make the stuff racing fuel today.  Back then it was plain and simple "GO Juice"

~ 67RedCharger ~
Original Owner "Ole Red" 1967 Red Dodge Charger

charger490

i know this will hurt guys but 6 gallons for a 1.00 back in 1940 cigaretts 15.cents  charger490

ChargerRob

.78 cent a gallon is lowest I bought gas for.
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

NHCharger

Not sure. I got my license in November 74 right when the oil  embargo was about to hit. I remember sitting in line for 45 minutes for $5.00 of gas (that's all the station would sell you) thinking that life sucks.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

gsmopar

Quote from: RT DAVE on August 08, 2005, 11:30:40 AM
about $.87.   I'm only 30.  

+1, I think it was 1998 and I'm 31!    ;D

Gas...Smash...   Hybrid vehicles, 30+ mpg...   It's all a band aid for the problem which I feel is fossil fuel period!   My charger would be much happier running on alcohol.   I'm sure that there are multiple other safer/cleaner fuels we could be burning, but OPEC lobbiests keep us paying the middle east our hard earn $$$.   

my $.02.   You guys?

greatwn73

When I first started driving never needed more than five bucks to fill my chevelle and asking for two bucks worth was not embarassing.It took seven to fill my first charger (8.00 for the good stuff) but the charger would only go half the distance.

my73charger

69 charger man

i remember it was like a buck when i was a kid growing up in the late 90s
-ray

golden73

I still remember when it was .89 a gallon. That's pretty good considering I'm only 19, and when I ask my friends the cheapest they remember is $1.60

These gas prices are out of controls. I wonder what the prices will be like 10 years from now  ???

Brock Samson

I paid $2.76 a gal for regular today..  :flame:

Lightning

I remember when I first started driving it was about $1.55.  I'll have to pay $2.41 tomarrow....ouch! I go through about 3 tanks a week now since I've started my deliveries...
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

SLIKK 70

I remember in 1970 in Jr. High someone built a gas station / mini market next to the school. It was the coolest thing that happened in Jr. High. ;D Gas started at .219 a gallon then. The store is still there but the pumps are gone. :'(

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

RTPTRON

Back in my day of cruizing around Gatlinburg and Sevierville, Tennessee 100+ Octain went for between 25.9 and 29.9.  I remember driving along country roads looking for drink bottles to get money for a tank of gas (5.00), a movey (.50), a six pack of beer (1.30), and dinner (1.00).  If you had $10. in your pocket you were ready for action.

However, when your summer job paid around $30 a week, LOL

The biggest difference now is that I don't have to pick up drink bottles anymore for gas money.

John_Kunkel

Back in the late fifties and early sixties we used to have "gas wars" around here; when some street intersections had a gas station on all four corners the different brands would lower gas prices to lure in customers and their competitors would follow suit. In an era when normal prices were 18 ¢ to 21 ¢ a gallon, prices would dip as low as 11 ¢ during gas wars.

At the beginning of the '73 "embargo" the prices around here had risen to around 35 ¢ but doubled in no time after the embargo.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mass_Mopar

cheapest I can remember is .92/gal.  I'm 19.

My dad worked at a gas station in the 70's, they had a price war with the guys across the street, and gas hit .25/gal. or so he tells me
-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

Chryco Psycho

69bananabeast

was late80's/ early 90's kid member it being around .90 cents.  First started dribing about 3 years ago gas was 1.30-1.40 in jan.  and once summer came thats when the prices went to the incline.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

392Creep

Well I got my license in 2002..Im a youngin..and gas was 1.39 for me, and that was incredible..I remeber being able to fill my tank with 8 bucks...now with 8 bucks I can put some fumes in my tank to make it down the street to the next gas station...

Ghoste

It was around .60 or .65 cents a gallon when I started driving.  Those were Canadian gallons which were a little bigger than US ones for some reason.  Then they switched to metric and the world began to implode for me.

lumpy

It's cool to see the range in what some of us remember as cheap!!29 cents- $1.99?? I remember .70 in the 70's, some of us are really showing our age. By the way where is the symbol for the cents sign on my keyboard!?!

69_se_ron

about 25-26 cents a gallon back in the mid seventies.
Check out my progress pics at:<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732403

Lightning

here's y'all a question, and I'm not trying to start a political war here: what will happen to gas prices once a new president gets elected in '08?
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Ghoste

dodgecharger-fan

Not really sure what it was per gallon, but I remember my Dad getting "2 dollars regular" about once a week. He worked 5 or 6 days a week and drove my Mom to work and the grocery store, too. It was the only car we had at the house. My older brothers had their own cars, though.

That was around 1970 or maybe 71.

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Telvis

I remember when gas was about a quarter a gallon. My mom would get $1 worth of gas all the time. Looking back I guess she didn't have much money. I didn't realize it at the time.

chargerjy9

I  know this shows my age but I can remember the" gas wars' in the Detroit area around 1966- 67. Some of the off brands were as low as 19.9 cents for a gallon.  My one big mistake was selling my 1st 73 Charger in 1975 because gas went up to 60 cents a gallon, and as a new family man,it was suggested that the Charger would put us in the poor house (wonder whose idea that was) Now, I own a new 73 Charger and I plain dont care how much the gas costs
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

OldGuy

67RedCharger and I are showing our ages.  Mid-60's when i was driving a '49 Mercury to high school, gas was .19 a gallon.  When I sold my 68 Charger in 1971, premium leaded had skyrocketed to .32 a gallon!!
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Lowprofile

Just fueled up My rig today........  roughly $600.00 for 250 gal of Diesel!! :icon_smile_sad: :icon_smile_sad: :icon_smile_sad:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Charge It!

About .32/gallon back in the early 70's when I was cutting grass to earn some $$$$$$$$

Kern Dog

I recall in 2001 or 2002 I drove through some small towns in Northern CA and saw an ARCO AM/PM with 87 octane regular unleaded for .99 cents.
Why do they still call it unleaded? Is leaded gas available at the pump anywhere?

stripedelete

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 25, 2019, 08:32:14 PM
Why do they still call it unleaded? Is leaded gas available at the pump anywhere?
Had the same thought while filling up a couple of weeks ago.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Kern Dog

The question is for a GALLON, not a quart.   :lol:

lloyd3

Texas panhandle, summer of 1972, during a "gas war" between two station near the highway my family was travelling on......seventeen (17) cents per gallon for regular leaded gas.

Ghoste

1972 you say?  Just before all the big change began.

alfaitalia

£1.67 per gallon in 1983 (UK obviously)....when I started driving so about $2.05 per gallon. Now over here its averaging around £6.00 per gallon...so about $7.38 at todays dollar/pound exchange rate. Ok our gallon is 20% BIGGER than yours but that's still about $6.15 per US gallon even allowing for that. Now you see why we all run diesels and sub 2.0l gas powered sedans!! Seeing a V8 or any sort here (4x4s excepted) is quite an event!! Because of our silly fuel prices (well actually our fuel is about the same price as yours.....its the huge tax on it that puts the price so high) over 6% of all new cars sold last year were hybrid or full electric.....going to be over 10% this. Not for me thanks!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

green69rt

Kansas City around 1965 and had my first car.  Lots of what were called gas wars in the midwest.  I don't know why just that they happened.  Sometimes gas would get down to $0.16 and 9/10 a gallon for short times.  Normal prices were $0.19 and 9/10.  Filling up my first charger in 1969 gas was about the same, then prices started going up.  I remember the first time I filled up and it cost my more that $6.00 to fill the tank, I was pissed.  Of course, I was only making about $200 (maybe less) a month in the Navy at the time.

c00nhunterjoe

99-00 era 87 was in the 80 cent a gallon range. Then i remember when it started to climb and climb and climb and we all lost our minds when it hit 1.99 a gallon.

odcics2

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 26, 2019, 06:28:11 PM
The question is for a GALLON, not a quart.   :lol:

.19 WAS for a gallon, youngster!   :pity:

A383Wing

I remember pumping gas for .23cents a gallon....then when the gas crunch came....prices went up...I got threatened a couple times when it went to .30cents per gallon

Bryan

Chargen69

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 27, 2019, 12:33:08 PM
99-00 era 87 was in the 80 cent a gallon range. Then i remember when it started to climb and climb and climb and we all lost our minds when it hit 1.99 a gallon.

in SC we hit .64 then

triple_green

I have a receipt for my car from May 1968 32.9 for premium. I remember gas in the bay area (with the refinery in sight) at 25 for regular in the late 60s.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

odcics2

Remember the freakout when gas hit a buck a gallon?

sixpactogo

I remember the gas wars in Minnesota back in the early 60's when the normal price was around 24 or 26 cents per gallon and they would drop to 19 cents or so. When I joined the Navy in 1964 and got out of boot camp in San Diego, the gas price was 33.9. I remember thinking "What a rip off! Glad my 60 Dart is back in Minnesota!"