News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My car wont start.Smoke came out air vents

Started by studjusrite, August 06, 2014, 04:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studjusrite

My car was making some weird noise under hood while on highway.I told friend to keep driving till we reached gas station,she said the speedometer wasn't moving so she pushed on gas hard..smoke and strong smell came out of front vents.we turned off car.it didn't start again when we tried to start it.it had no oil.we put oil.kept trying to start it and it sounds like it wanted to start but now it doesn't even make any sounds..makes some sort of clacking noise now
2007 dodge charger
V6

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

68X426

The forum members need a whole lot more details to work with.

My guess, with no info, is that your little Honda lost a timing belt and the motor melted down.

FWIW.  :o

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

indreams84

Quote from: 68X426 on August 06, 2014, 06:25:11 PM

My guess, with no info, is that your little Honda lost a timing belt and the motor melted down.

FWIW.  :o

+1...atrocious sentence structure and lack of detail leads me to think this guy stumbled here thinking he was on a Advance Auto Parts online forum  :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T #s Matching

ws23rt

Quote from: indreams84 on August 06, 2014, 08:57:43 PM

+1...atrocious sentence structure and lack of detail leads me to think this guy stumbled here thinking he was on a Advance Auto Parts online forum  :icon_smile_big:

Some these days will call 911 :D----
Sorry for laughing but keep driving till we get some where better than where we are is like driving faster to get to the gas station before we run out. :smilielol:

timmycharger

:smilielol: That actually happened to me in the 90s in my 85 Honda CRX, didn't go down as he describes. I was on the highway, when the car just quit. I then proceeded to try to pop the clutch to restart at highway speed about 4 times not knowing I was smashing valves against pistons.. meh.. lesson learned..

bill440rt

The vents have the built-in smoke feature. Sometimes it stays in, sometimes it escapes.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

TUFCAT

Quote from: bill440rt on August 06, 2014, 09:36:40 PM
The vents have the built-in smoke feature. Sometimes it stays in, sometimes it escapes.

Good question.  Did the car have its original smoke, or aftermarket smoke?  Sometimes the factory smoke can be replaced by a previous owner causing confusion.   To diagnose this, it would help to know what color the smoke was tinted.  Factory smoke on Chrysler products always had a blue-green tint.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Quote from: studjusrite on August 06, 2014, 04:54:48 PM
My car was making some weird noise under hood while on highway.I told friend to keep driving till we reached gas station,she said the speedometer wasn't moving so she pushed on gas hard..smoke and strong smell came out of front vents.we turned off car.it didn't start again when we tried to start it.it had no oil.we put oil.kept trying to start it and it sounds like it wanted to start but now it doesn't even make any sounds..makes some sort of clacking noise now

Can you describe the clacking noise?  Is it a "click-clack" or a "clackity clack"?  :think:

F8-4life

ws23rt

Hey studjusrite---Hope you have a sense of humor like the rest of us.

I recall trying to make engines fail for fun.  I was disappointed with my efforts.
The up side is you don't have to wonder about what needs to be done. :cheers:

I have had a few engines seize from overheating and when they cooled off they seemed to run just fine.  Those engines are different than what you have :slap:

OOps we don't even know what engine you have/had?    :shruggy:

TUFCAT

I've actually overheated my 2.2 liter lots of times...(true story) and it always lived to race again!   Those engines were virtually indestructible.

Chargerguy74

That sucks. I've let the smoke out of a lot of things.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Daytona R/T SE

Aero426

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 06, 2014, 10:21:40 PM
I've actually overheated my 2.2 liter lots of times...(true story) and it always lived to race again!   Those engines were virtually indestructible.

AND, it had the fastest 0-50 time.   Don't you forget it!   :2thumbs: :rofl:

Old Moparz

Quote from: studjusrite on August 06, 2014, 04:54:48 PM

This is REALLY weird because the exact same thing happened to me & my wife once. It was my car & she was driving, it made weird noises under the hood, the speedometer quit, smelly smoke appeared from the vents, & when she turned it off it wouldn't restart. There was no oil & even after putting some in, it still didn't start & made the clacking noises.

I took out my handy book of weird car noises & right smack on page 38 it told me that the car was suffering from severe depression. Well, being in the middle of Pennsylvania on a Friday night at 10PM I knew damn well I was not going to find the proper care for my car. We walked to the next exit, found a gas station & asked the guy working there for help.

The guy looked cheerful but said, "What the hell do you think I can do to cheer up a car?"

He was right, with that attitude it may have made the situation worse so we walked back to the car, talked nicely to it & it started right up. The only difference this time is that I was the one who started it, not my wife. To this day she isn't allowed to drive this car & I have never been stranded with it again.

Unless you find a serious mechanical issue with your car, all I can say is don't let your friend drive it & it should give you years of trouble free service.  :cheers:

By the way, Troy or one of the mods should move this to the tech forum so this one doesn't get all clogged up with this kind of thing.  :Twocents:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

TUFCAT

Quote from: Aero426 on August 07, 2014, 10:06:14 AM
Quote from: TUFCAT on August 06, 2014, 10:21:40 PM
I've actually overheated my 2.2 liter lots of times...(true story) and it always lived to race again!   Those engines were virtually indestructible.

AND, it had the fastest 0-50 time.   Don't you forget it!   :2thumbs: :rofl:

I have to dig up some pictures of my trusty Dodge Charger 2.2!  :coolgleamA:

On a side note,  I had an early cam failure within the 5/50 warranty period. There was a $100 powertrain warranty deductible at the time so instead of paying Chrysler, I bought a Direct Connection purple shaft cam and followers (for about $100.00) and paid a buddy to put it in.  It was a better combo and really woke up that engine for only about $100 more than my deductible.  The only down-side was those Eagle GT front tires became very expensive to replace every 5,000 miles or so.
:drive:

I had to let the smoke out of the tires every once a while.  :D

tan top

FWIW.  :o

Honda Eh  , that would be the   Vtec kicking in then    :yesnod:  :lol:  :lol:   ,

seriously   though  , don't sound good whats happened  , we really need loads more info if your serious ,   not just having a joke   :yesnod:

:cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

Bob, that was so damn funny...!  :smilielol:  I really think the owner is having an abusive relationship with his car, and maybe some therapy is needed.  :P

Aero426

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 07, 2014, 11:04:17 AM

I have to dig up some pictures of my trusty Dodge Charger 2.2!  :coolgleamA:

On a side note,  I had an early cam failure within the 5/50 warranty period. There was a $100 powertrain warranty deductible at the time so instead of paying Chrysler, I bought a Direct Connection purple shaft cam and followers (for about $100.00) and paid a buddy to put it in.  It was a better combo and really woke up that engine for only about $100 more than my deductible.  The only down-side was those Eagle GT front tires became very expensive to replace every 5,000 miles or so.
:drive:

I had to let the smoke out of the tires every once a while.  :D

I had a yellow '81 Charger 2.2      Good car for me at the time.

ws23rt

This cars and smoke thing brings back many memories. :lol:

My older brother was traveling through calif. in the late sixties in a 50 something panel truck. He needed to call me but didn't have a cell phone (it was 69 or 70) so told me the story later. :lol:  The truck started to make a knocking sound.  This may not be good he told me-- but it was still traveling.  The sound became louder and he identified it as a bang bang noise.  The truck still moved just fine but the noise was very loud and he thought maybe something was wrong.   As they entered a small town the noise ended with a louder bang and then was quieter. The engine stopped moving the truck and he coasted into a gas station.  An attendant came to the window and my brother said something is wrong with the motor I think, would you please fix it for me while we get something to eat across the street?

He was with out a clue and expected to eat a meal and drive away with a fixed truck.  Their was a large hole in the side of the block and he even asked if that was a big deal?

This is true and my brother is by no means stupid.  He is/was however without a clue when it came to mechanical devices.  He at the time was into the state of the art of computers. A 4point gpa in college. :slap:

TUFCAT

Good story.....some of the smartest people can be really stupid at times.  :P  

Here's another example.  I was talking to an exceptionally smart high school kid with a good head on his shoulders.  In a nut shell the conversation was how much modern cars have advanced over the years.  I logically concluded that the reliability (and especially safety) of the modern automobile has greatly improved....so much so that my Coronet would be considered a death trap compared to today's standards.  

He agreed, then quickly added.....I bet the Coronet's airbags weren't nearly as good as today's cars.  Airbags I said??  It doesn't have any...and they weren't even available in most cars until around 1990.  He was totally shocked.  :scratchchin: :-\

ws23rt

The air bags in our old mopars are called vents. :2thumbs:  I use mine all the time cause it compresses the air and holds me back in the seat :smilielol:

The seat belts were to keep me from sliding across the bench seat.  The drum brakes were a novelty of little value when traveling over 120mph. I love these cars :cheers:

studjusrite

Its a 2007 dodge charger
V6
Smoke was gray
Looks like oil is leaking somewhere under hood

JB400

Was there any oil at all on the dipstick when you checked it?  How many quarts of oil did you put in it when filled it?

If it was just a couple quarts, it sounds like you have lifters rattling.  If you had to add 4-5 quarts, the rods are knocking and you need to rebuild your engine, or replace it.

When was the last time you had the oil changed?

studjusrite

There was very little oil.I haven't changed for a few months.I put only 2 quarts but it looks black.It looks like of spilled somewhere next to engine..like it busted from somewhere

Fred

Quote from: studjusrite on August 08, 2014, 01:17:50 AM
There was very little oil.I haven't changed for a few months.I put only 2 quarts but it looks black.It looks like of spilled somewhere next to engine..like it busted from somewhere

Does it have a sump plug?   :icon_smile_big:

Do yourself a favour..........trade it in for a '68.     :smilielol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

1974dodgecharger

U guys r so mean this person asked for advice and has just rude.....

On that note ill listen Fred go trade it in for a 1968 charger..... :2thumbs: