News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which coolant to use?

Started by GMP440, April 16, 2020, 09:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMP440

Which coolant is good for our older cars?  Is Prestone or Zerex still doing the old formula?  Thanks.

Bronzedodge

The EPA has had it's hand in all the old standby chemicals.  The green Perstone isn't the same as it was 25 yrs ago.  Anyway, Zerex G-05 is universal, and many guys are running aluminum radiators nowadays.  The G-05 works well with aluminum.
Mopar forever!

ht4spd307

i use reverse osmosis water no coolant as reverse osmosis gets rid of most heavy metals & minerals.I've been told most of the dealerships use this is new cars these days

b5blue

Good luck getting rid of old coolant nowadays.

mr. hemi

Quote from: b5blue on April 17, 2020, 11:58:54 PM
Good luck getting rid of old coolant nowadays.
[/quote
I put mine in with the used motor oil, that then goes to the local "Household Toxic Waste Disposal Day". Fortunately, the municipality I live in offers this service for free to the residents to keep nasty stuff from winding up in landfills or just dumped. Usually about 4 Saturdays per year. It is then disposed of properly via an industrial waste disposal facility.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

NHCharger

I use the Zerex  G-05 and distilled water, and a bottle of water wetter.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

c00nhunterjoe

There are only 3 basic types of coolant. The old green will work still but is outdated tech. As described the g05 is most common and the best choice as it is classified as hoat, or hybrid organic acid technology. It is good for iron and aluminum,  lasts longer then the green, and does not fall prone to electrolysis like the green did. 90% of what you get in the parts stores that fall into this category will be gold or yellow. Stay away from orange. If you run an aluminum block, consider the blue.