News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help from clonies...please?

Started by wetfeetmi, March 18, 2006, 02:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetfeetmi

I am enlisting assistance from you kind clonies regarding trunk lid hinges. I would love to have one in my possesion, but unfortanely do NOT. I made a template frome my first clone, but is was made from legal paper, and tape, and has over time pulled apart. I would be deeply indebted of some-one has a diagram or a template that they would be willing to part with temporarily. I can offer gratitude and a small reward if you are willing. 
I also need  to know where to locate the wing! I will be mounting it as soon as Larry is done with the braces!
Thanks guys. (No rush, Larry)   Rick

hotrod98

Rick,
You don't have to wait for the braces to mount the wing. You can install them later since all that you have to do is remove two of the nuts on each side and slide the braces (without the lower piece) up into place. Just leave the bolts loose where the two brace pieces meet and then after you've re-installed the two nuts to the wing base just tighten up the other bolts. Then you can add the lower brace that extends to the floor and locate the holes that you have to drill into the floor.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Troy

I think he needs to know where to drill the holes for the wing.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

wetfeetmi

QuoteI think he needs to know where to drill the holes for the wing.

Troy

Exactly... I had the hole locations at one point, but misplaced them.
  But I really need a hinge. I am at a loss. I can reproduce one if I have one to reproduce.

hotrod98

Quote from: wetfeetmi on March 18, 2006, 02:06:29 PM
I will be mounting it as soon as Larry is done with the braces!
Thanks guys. (No rush, Larry) Rick

This is the part that I was replying to. I'm saying that he does not have to wait for my braces. All he needs is the location to mount the wing and he can go ahead and mount it.

Charles Addams

Troy

Ok, I see. Too bad I can't just run out and measure the wing mounting locations on my Daytona... mainly because I'm missing the most important part (ie. the car). :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

arrow

If you need the shap& size of the the trunk hinge , I could trace one out on paper and send you . Ive got some original spares around .

daytonalo

OK , WORD OF ADVICE ON WINGS , FROM A GUY WHO JUST COMPLETED THAT PART OF MY HEMI DAYTONA CLONE . FIRST OFF YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE WING IN YOUR POSSESION TO DRILL HOLES , FOR EXAMPLE I CHOOSE TO USE STINGER WING AND THE HOLES DIFFER SLIGHTLY FROM ORIGINAL. I DID BUY A WING FROM DANE ,AND I AM GRATEFULL FOR HIM SELLING IT TO ME , BUT I FELT THE WEIGHT OF THE SOLID WING WAS TO EXCESSIVE. AS FAR AS HINGES I HAVE POSTED PIX OF HINGES I MADE FROM 1 INCH SQUARE TUBE THAT I BENT UP WITH A SQUARE TUBE BENDER . I CALLED JANEK AND HE TOLD ME HE MAKES HINGES WITH A HAMMER AND SOME ROUND 5 LB PLATES AND A TORCH , I GOT OFF THE PHONE SCRATCHING MY HEAD AND PICKED UP THE PHONE AND BOUGHT A SQUARE TUBE BENDER. THEY LOOK AND FUNCTION JUST LIKE ORIGINALS , ALTHOUGH I INSTALLED A THREADED PLATE INSIDE DECKLID FOR ADJUSTABLY IN ANY DIRECTION .

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

PLEASE , PLEASE DON'T CALL THEM CLONES , THE NEW TERM IS RECREATION  ?

wetfeetmi

I have a cast wing, I have bushings. I just don't have measurements.
I also have a tubing bender. I even have the tubing. I just need a template for the hinges.
Arrow, thank you for the offer. Can you post here somewhere or e-mail them directly?
Thanks in advance, Rick

hotrod98

Larry,
But the word clone only has five letters and the word recreation has...let's see...1, 2, 3...well it has lots more letters to type.  ;D

Charles Addams

daytonalo

DO YOU HAVE A SQUARE TUBING BENDER , A ROUND TUBE BENDER WILL KINK IT !. BEEN THERE DONE THAT

hotrod98

Years ago we would bend square tubing without kinking it by filling it with sand and capping the ends. After bending it we would open the ends and remove the sand. Of course the correct bender would work better.
If anyone makes an extra set of hinges, I would be interested in buying them.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I TRIED , THE SAND THING . THE PROPER TUBE BENDER WILL PRESS UP THE EXTRA MATERIAL ON THE INSIDE BEND

daytonalo

FUNTIONABLE  YES , BUT I NEED THEM TO LOOK IDENTICAL TO ORIG , THE ORIG HINGE WAS 1 INCH SQUARE TUBE , NOT 3/4 INCH . I DONT HAVE TIME TO GO TO A JUNK YARD AND DEAL WITH THE SCUMBAG TYPE MENTALITY THAT USUALLY ACCOMPANIES THOSE YARDS . AFTER I BOUGHT TUBE BENDER IT TOOK ME 5 MINUTES AND THE LOOK JUST LIKE ORIGINALS BUT I MADE AND ADJUSTABLE STOP WHICH YOU WILL NEVER SEE

wetfeetmi

Thanks, guys, my tubing bender has different cams for different types of tubing. I never thought of using sand...BRILLIANT!.
Again, my wing is cast. I think it is one of Dane's. I bought it on e-bay from some-one near Chicago. I don't know exactly where to mount it. Rick

BigBlockSam

thats not one of Danes. that wing came from Oscar at helpg. i bought one of those . good wing. almost exact to  Dane's
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

I TRIED THE SAND THING , SIMPLFY LIFE I SPENT 200 FOR A TUBE BENDER MADE ONLY FOR SQAURE TUBE , AGAIN IT WILL ONLY BEND SQARE TUBE . LOOK BACK AT SOME PIX I POSTED

hotrod98

Larry,
I would like to build my own hinges, but I'm missing a few of things, like the tubing, the bender and the tracing to go by.
What wall thickness are you using?
Where did you find your bender?
Where can I get a tracing of a correct hinge?

Charles Addams

daytonalo

I BOUGHT A TUBE BENDER [ SQUARE ONLY ] FROM HECK INDUSTRIES @ 810-632-6640 FOR 219.00 TO MY DOOR . BE FORWARNED THIS BENDER IS AT ITS LIMITS WITH 1 INCH !. I USED INCH 1/16 WALL . I MADE A TRACING FROM WING CAR DAVE'S DAYTONA , HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN WILLING TO HELP ME OUT IN ANY WAY . THAT IS HOW I AM AND PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE IS .

dayclona

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 20, 2006, 05:26:37 PM
Larry,
I would like to build my own hinges, but I'm missing a few of things, like the tubing, the bender and the tracing to go by.
What wall thickness are you using?
Where did you find your bender?
Where can I get a tracing of a correct hinge?

The original hinges are indeed 1" square tube stock, however the wall thickness is .125 or 1/8".................although for a clone 1/16" would suffice?...................I know what Daytonalo (Larry) means when he says the commercial tube bender is maxxed out doing 1/16 tube!
       I make my hinge sets out of 1/8" wall,.............although I have a commercial multi shape tube/ bar/strap bender, even that could not bend 1/8" wall,..............I ended up fabricating a bender just to do hinges,...............the handel is 8 feet long!,........solid 1"x 3" steel,......the whole rig weighs about 100 lbs..........................keep this in mind if your looking to repro the factory wall thickness!     :icon_smile_cool:

Mike G/ DAYCLONA

daytonalo

YOUR RIGHT MIKE , I MEANT 1/8 , MY BENDER IS A 200.00  SQAURE BENDER ONLY FROM HECK TOOLS BOLTED TO THE FLOOR AND I HAD TO USE A 5 FOOT EXTENSION TO MAKE THEM . FOR THOSE OUT THERE THAT DONT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A STANDARD BENDER AND A SQAURE BENDER , THE SQAURE'S DIES HAVE RAISED SECTION THAT PUSHES UP MATIERIAL ON INSIDE BENDS

nascarxx29

I allowed daytonlo access to my original 440 daytona to copy the trunk hinge details .Though we didnt remove  the hinge. He had  used a stiff wire and copied the outline of it .And from the ones I seen he made looked good just needed a little tweaking.To get trunk fitting on
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Howie

I have a tracing of an origional 500 trunk hinge.  I made it before I sold my 500 to build a shop. I can make a copy if you like.
                                                                                                                                                                            Howard

wetfeetmi

Thanks, Howie...I will not be needing it, though! I made due with my original tracing and finished the hinges. I had to piece them together as well as possible. The hinges came out pretty close with a little tweaking.
I still need pinpoint measurements to spot the wing. I know you don't have them because you have a 500, but if anyone else could take a minute and pass those to me, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks, Rick

hemigeno

Quote from: wetfeetmi on March 23, 2006, 02:42:21 PM
Thanks, Howie...I will not be needing it, though! I made due with my original tracing and finished the hinges. I had to piece them together as well as possible. The hinges came out pretty close with a little tweaking.
I still need pinpoint measurements to spot the wing. I know you don't have them because you have a 500, but if anyone else could take a minute and pass those to me, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks, Rick

Rick, what kind of pinpoint measurements are you looking for?  I can measure from the end of the quarterpanel extension to the very tip of the wing base, if that would help   :shruggy:

Let me know, and I'll do what I can to help out!

hemigeno

Ok, I dunno if this is what you're looking for, but I measured from the end of the quarterpanel (with the extensions installed) and came up with approximately 3" between the end of the quarterpanel and the rearmost tip of the vertical stabilizer.

I say approximately, since the wing that Creative Industries installed on my car is 1/4" different from one side to the other.

The passenger's side is just a shade less than 3", and the driver's side is 3-1/4".  So much for precision installation techniques... :smash:

Hope this helps,

Geno

wetfeetmi

Thanks, hemigeno! I wil split the difference and drill some holes. Take care, Rick