News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

brights not working

Started by tucknroll, August 15, 2014, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

alright, i have a new problem. i just put on a new brake booster and had a tough time reaching the 4 bolts holding it on. i must have done something that affected the bright lights only. any thoughts?

A383Wing

dimmer switch, connection at firewall bulkhead connector, or all high beams are burned out

tucknroll

the bulbs are good and it is fine at the bulkhead. i pulled the carpet back and unpluged at the dimmer switch and put a test light on the 3 connections and only the top middle one had power. should they all

A383Wing

middle will have power all the time when headlights are on....one of the others will have power when low beams are on, and the other will have power when high beams are on....basically, 2 will have power all the time.

tucknroll

got a new switch and i have power at all three connections so do you know which one on the bulkhead connector is for brights

A383Wing

I don't have a 69 wiring diagram, so I cannot tell ya which wire it is

tucknroll

i followed it and found out i have power up to the lights so maybe it is the bulbs

A383Wing

well, that's what I posted in my reply above, but you said bulbs were good.....I just went on to other options after that

green69rt

Quote from: tucknroll on August 18, 2014, 06:24:20 PM
i followed it and found out i have power up to the lights so maybe it is the bulbs

I have a hard time believing that all four burned out at the same time, but easy to check, just get an ohmmeter and check just one bulb.  There is a plug that is for the headlight harness.  I think it's in the area of the battery on top of the inner fender.  Maybe the plug has a bad pin??

tucknroll

sorry guys, you were right from the beginning. one bright bulb was shot and that made the other not work i guess because when the new one went in, they both worked!

green69rt

Quote from: tucknroll on August 19, 2014, 06:46:05 PM
sorry guys, you were right from the beginning. one bright bulb was shot and that made the other not work i guess because when the new one went in, they both worked!

That's a new one to me.  For those familiar with the electrical system, are these bulb elements in series??  Also, for dual headlights (assumption) aren't there four bulbs, two for bright only and two that are dual beam with high and low elements??  SO how would one bulb put them all out, I'm confused (nothing new.)

tucknroll

i dont know but the low beams never went out. both high beams were out but one bulb fixed both!

Stegs

Quote from: tucknroll on August 20, 2014, 11:21:37 AM
i dont know but the low beams never went out. both high beams were out but one bulb fixed both!

good to know, I tried my high beams and nothing worked, but my low beams work....so ill replace the bulb and maybe I will have the same luck

you wouldn't happen to know the part number for a high beam bulb would you?

tucknroll

h5001 is whats on the box.

A383Wing

Quote from: tucknroll on August 20, 2014, 11:21:37 AM

not possible....one bad bulb will not cause all high beams to quit working....either you had a bad connection and you fixed it while checking, or you have a bad ground for the headlights.

The 2 outer bulbs have low & high beam, the 2 inner bulbs are high beam only....

tucknroll

i did some more checking and the new light seamed to fix the problem but then i wiggled the connection next to the battery and they blinked off again so it is a bad connection.

green69rt

Quote from: tucknroll on August 20, 2014, 07:30:38 PM
i did some more checking and the new light seamed to fix the problem but then i wiggled the connection next to the battery and they blinked off again so it is a bad connection.

Ah ha!!  I had the same problem on an old charger.  The fumes from the battery corroded the connector.  I ended up replacing it.

Stegs

Quote from: green69rt on August 20, 2014, 09:57:33 PM

Ah ha!!  I had the same problem on an old charger.  The fumes from the battery corroded the connector.  I ended up replacing it.

dumb question but are the connections for the passenger side headlights run from the drivers side? so if you have a bad connection on the drivers side, the passenger side wont work?

green69rt

Quote from: Stegs on August 21, 2014, 10:27:51 AM
Quote from: green69rt on August 20, 2014, 09:57:33 PM

dumb question but are the connections for the passenger side headlights run from the drivers side? so if you have a bad connection on the drivers side, the passenger side wont work?

IIRC the all of the lights are fed from one cable harness on the driver side.  "The only dumb question is one that is not asked."  -  my old high school shop teacher.