News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation "Troy-Trade"; Daytona-clone for Y2 C500

Started by hemi68charger, August 16, 2014, 05:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Troy, that tool you have for doing the UPPER control arm bushings. :2thumbs: Were you able to use it on the LOWER control arm bushings also ?   Is that a loaner or did you get it from a tool supplier ? I ask because  if the cost isn't lethal I'd get one to do my  Mopar "fleet" work ..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi68charger

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 04, 2014, 09:07:33 AM
    Troy, that tool you have for doing the UPPER control arm bushings. :2thumbs: Were you able to use it on the LOWER control arm bushings also ?   Is that a loaner or did you get it from a tool supplier ? I ask because  if the cost isn't lethal I'd get one to do my  Mopar "fleet" work ..

Al, I googled "Mopar upper control arm removal tool" and found this. It was relatively in expensive. It isn't used for the lowers. I still have to have help with my buddy's bench press. I did the passenger side yesterday in about an hour. I will do the driver's side when I get home later today. I didn't even have to separate the control arm from the upper ball joint... I will see if I can find who I got it from.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

there was a vendor that made old time dealer tools
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: nascarxx29 on October 04, 2014, 10:58:43 AM
there was a vendor that made old time dealer tools

You can buy them on ebay pretty reasonably priced.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 04, 2014, 09:24:36 AM
Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 04, 2014, 09:07:33 AM

Al, I googled "Mopar upper control arm removal tool" and found this. It was relatively in expensive. It isn't used for the lowers. I still have to have help with my buddy's bench press. I did the passenger side yesterday in about an hour. I will do the driver's side when I get home later today. I didn't even have to separate the control arm from the upper ball joint... I will see if I can find who I got it from.

I just realized you could make a tool to do the lower ones with a couple of pieces of 1/4 plate and  a piece of pipe large enough to go over the bushing and pull the new one in. I just paid $40. to have the new ones pressed in on sons Challenger and if I had thought I could have made one. :RantExplode: :RantExplode:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi68charger

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 04, 2014, 04:48:13 PM

I just realized you could make a tool to do the lower ones with a couple of pieces of 1/4 plate and  a piece of pipe large enough to go over the bushing and pull the new one in. I just paid $40. to have the new ones pressed in on sons Challenger and if I had thought I could have made one. :RantExplode: :RantExplode:

Lower? Then how would you get the outer case of the bushing out of the lower control arm? Pressing the control arm pin is one thing, getting the outer case is another.....

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 04, 2014, 08:37:48 PM
Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 04, 2014, 04:48:13 PM

Lower? Then how would you get the outer case of the bushing out of the lower control arm? Pressing the control arm pin is one thing, getting the outer case is another.....

I'd have to do a little research and development on the idea. My problem would be doing it cost effectively.  You'd need a 3/4 drive socket that the rod can go through the same size of the bushing, a piece of 1/2 threaded rod and 4 or so nuts for the rod and a piece of 1/4 or heaver metal on the other side of the control arm to pull against and a collection of hand tools. As I said it would take some tweaking and it is  just an idea.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

I have replaced plenty of lower bushings and they were not too bad, but then again it helps to have a press.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 05, 2014, 08:46:34 AM
I have replaced plenty of lower bushings and they were not too bad, but then again it helps to have a press.

If one is planning on replacing the rubber OEM style bushing with the polygraphite versions, then it is simple... Press the pin out, burn the rubber out and leave the outer shell case of the bushing in place. Insert the new bushing, press in the original pin and voila, done..........

:2thumbs:
Troy

Highbanked Hauler

Thats what I did on sons Challenger and loaded it up with silicon paste years ago and in a matter of 6 months it was squeaking like mad so I put the rubber bushings this time hence removing the shell also and I have my replica stocker to do and if it works good I'll do the 500 also.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi68charger

After replacing bushings I thought I would adjust the toe, it seemed to be off a little when I drove the car when I brought her home. So, I am going old school ball-parking it with string to align the front tires. Have the steering wheel centered and since the rear tires are true, you can use that as a straight line creator to the front. So, I adjusted the tie-rod link such the the back of the front tire pulls away from the string. Then I go the other way so it barely touches... Should be close enough to get to the local Goodyear or Firestone for alignment.
Troy

DAY CLONA

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 08, 2014, 12:46:56 PM
since the rear tires are true

You'd be surprised how much the ass end of an old Mopar is out of whack, no matter how well preserved/accident free the car is....you want that wing to sing into the triple digits without a squirrely ride, have  4 points checked by a quality HP alignment shop...perch shims are made to bring the rear square

Mike

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 09, 2014, 07:12:21 AM

You'd be surprised how much the ass end of an old Mopar is out of whack, no matter how well preserved/accident free the car is....you want that wing to sing into the triple digits without a squirrely ride, have  4 points checked by a quality HP alignment shop...perch shims are made to bring the rear square

Mike

Exactly.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Mike

Mike, this was just to get her close enough to take to a front end alignment... But, I get what you're saying for sure................   :2thumbs:
Troy

hemi68charger

Mess with the car some more this weekend after I recieved my new pair of goodies, a new pair of matched exterior side-view mirrors. The original driver's remote was pretty pitted and the passenger side was the manual mirror version... So, now things are new and matched.. Looks great !!! One of the final touches to the outside. The next thing will be the pentastar and orgasinol of the rear taillamp panel........
Troy

66FBCharger

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 13, 2014, 07:15:44 AM
Mess with the car some more this weekend after I recieved my new pair of goodies, a new pair of matched exterior side-view mirrors. The original driver's remote was pretty pitted and the passenger side was the manual mirror version... So, now things are new and matched.. Looks great !!! One of the final touches to the outside. The next thing will be the pentastar and orgasinol of the rear taillamp panel........
Troy,
Where did you buy the pair of side view mirrors? How do you like them?
I want to replace my manual mirror to a pair of this style mirror to make the car safer to drive.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Highbanked Hauler

Mike

WOW  :o where can you get those ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi68charger

Quote from: 66FBCharger on October 13, 2014, 11:18:58 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on October 13, 2014, 07:15:44 AM
Troy,
Where did you buy the pair of side view mirrors? How do you like them?
I want to replace my manual mirror to a pair of this style mirror to make the car safer to drive.

I found mine on ebaymotors.. But, Dave's link is nice as well.................
Troy

moparnation74

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Thanks Guys..

Just ordered a complete set of MOOG upper and lower ball joints !!! Damn, I can't leave it alone !!!!!!!    :icon_smile_big:  now the suspension's going to be top-notch..... ( albeit, it won't be OEM restored, yada, yada, yada........ But she'll be tight as hell. )
Troy

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 14, 2014, 07:33:17 AM
Thanks Guys..

Just ordered a complete set of MOOG upper and lower ball joints !!! Damn, I can't leave it alone !!!!!!!    :icon_smile_big:  now the suspension's going to be top-notch..... ( albeit, it won't be OEM restored, yada, yada, yada........ But she'll be tight as hell. )

After  having wrecked and from  20 20 hindsight unless you are going in for professional judging  99.9%  of the people who see the car don't know if they are looking at a NOS part or a repro and probably could care less.  I think drive-ability counts for a lot more than it used to.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi68charger

Quote from: 41husk on October 14, 2014, 09:54:01 AM
I want her back :brickwall: :slap:

Whatcha got to trade? Sorry,,,,,,,,,,,, Couldn't resist..........

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 14, 2014, 10:39:47 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on October 14, 2014, 07:33:17 AM
Thanks Guys..

Just ordered a complete set of MOOG upper and lower ball joints !!! Damn, I can't leave it alone !!!!!!!    :icon_smile_big:  now the suspension's going to be top-notch..... ( albeit, it won't be OEM restored, yada, yada, yada........ But she'll be tight as hell. )

After  having wrecked and from  20 20 hindsight unless you are going in for professional judging  99.9%  of the people who see the car don't know if they are looking at a NOS part or a repro and probably could care less.  I think drive-ability counts for a lot more than it used to.

Yeap... And, the inner fender wells on this car will be easy to "spruce up" since it is black...........   I hear a call to FineLines to get all new plumping too ( the cost is low, but the look and benefit are high ).
Troy