News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Battery not charging:

Started by Captain D, August 16, 2014, 10:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

The summer was doing 'great' w/ the Charger (69' base Charger, 383 4 brrl BB) until last weekend. I simply dropped the car off to upgrade the wire connectors w/ the shrink-wrap insulation. The ones he did were: the 2 on the coil, the alternator, and the single wire feed that adjoins to the positive terminal on the battery.

My alternator is a single field unit (internally grounded) that runs the single green wire to the voltage regulator. Everything was performing w/ 'fantastic' numbers all round' until these minor upgrades. I asked the shop how could these new terminal connectors could fail to charge the battery and he noted that they should not have as everything is the same - only newer.

I should note that, before I left his shop I checked the readings: the ammeter was giving a negative charge and said that before I leave - this isn't correct (as it should stay @ the 12 o' clock position/slightly to the right of the zero). He removed the positive terminal to ensure that the eyelet had a good connection by removing any of the red factory paint on the terminal. After this, everything went back to normal and I drove the car home 35 minutes with no problem. I didn't touch a thing and went to start the car yesterday and...now back in a negative charge. Everything looks the same, good connection, clean, and I even removed a little more red paint on the positive terminal (since that helped originally) and ensure that my battery was fully charged. Still nothing.

Perhaps I should have the alternator removed and checked next...? Its just odd that everything was 100% perfect prior to these minor upgrades.  :scratchchin:

Any ideas?
Thank you,
Aaron