News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Full Floor pan replacement question

Started by 72Charger72, June 23, 2017, 08:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger72

Quote from: Cncguy on June 29, 2017, 09:55:25 AM
Quote from: 72Charger72 on June 29, 2017, 07:59:31 AM
Quote from: Cncguy on June 28, 2017, 01:11:20 PM
I drilled all the spot welds with a carbide spotweld cutter, then I used a 2" putty knife to break the welds. I only used the panel separate knife tool on very difficult welds that wouldn't pop. Yes it destroys the putty knife but saves the panels.
Thanks CNCGuy how did you tackle the firewall seam?

I drilled from the engine side of the firewall most or all of the welds can be gotten from this side. It is best to drill the panel you don't want to save, in this case I needed the full floor so I drilled firewall. But if I were trying to save the firewall, and the floorpans were rotted out I'd probably make a cut an inch away from the seem and get as many welds as I could from the floorpan side. If that makes sense.

Thanks again CnCguy and Troy for his insights on the wire hiders came out perfect!
I got the rear seam removed and floorpan off yesterday. Posted photos on my build page.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109796.msg1621712.html#msg1621712

Now looking at the firewall to toe board seam. I reread CNCguys post but I have a brand new full floor pan that needs to be attached at the seam so cutting an inch away from it confuses me? I would assume I should just drill out spot welds and use a Seam breaker as gentle as I can to save the firewall side? Seems to also make sense to just drill out the spot welds from the firewalll side and weld from the engine side? A lot more room towork there?
Would love to hear how others have tackled this?

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: 72Charger72 on October 19, 2017, 04:05:00 PM
Now looking at the firewall to toe board seam. I reread CNCguys post but I have a brand new full floor pan that needs to be attached at the seam so cutting an inch away from it confuses me?

If I am reading his post correctly, I believe he means cut the old toeboard out close to the firewall lip seam first... which will then give you access to drilling out the spot welds along the remaining floor pan lip from inside the car where there's plenty of room to move around?

72Charger72

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on October 19, 2017, 05:01:15 PM
Quote from: 72Charger72 on October 19, 2017, 04:05:00 PM
Now looking at the firewall to toe board seam. I reread CNCguys post but I have a brand new full floor pan that needs to be attached at the seam so cutting an inch away from it confuses me?

If I am reading his post correctly, I believe he means cut the old toeboard out close to the firewall lip seam first... which will then give you access to drilling out the spot welds along the remaining floor pan lip from inside the car where there's plenty of room to move around?

Thanks Midnight_Rider! I get what he is saying now.
So pretty much the same as removing the rear seam. Remove spots
And gently work the seam apart.
I have one more day of vacation tomorrow.
So I was hoping to get that done it would be big big progress for me!  :2thumbs:

72Charger72

Just wanted to share a great method I ran across to remove a spot weld without damage to the panel behind. Saw a video where a guy used a file sander and ground the spot welds. I used an 80 grit belt and took out 25 spot welds in about 15 minutes then used the putty knife to break the seam.  Way faster than spot weld cutting and less chance of damaging the panel behind...plus the belts last forever so its also cheaper than buying spot weld cutter blades.

alfaitalia

Exactly the method I've used.....ran across it on the youtube thingy....when looking for a video on tubbing arches of all things! How did we ever manage without the interweb. In days gone by I would have actually had to talk to people to find stuff out....yuck! At least with talking to you guys on here rather than in real life I don't have to put up with your ugly mugs and questionable personal hygiene!! LOL! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

72Charger72

Quote from: alfaitalia on October 29, 2017, 08:42:16 AM
Exactly the method I've used.....ran across it on the youtube thingy....when looking for a video on tubbing arches of all things! How did we ever manage without the interweb. In days gone by I would have actually had to talk to people to find stuff out....yuck! At least with talking to you guys on here rather than in real life I don't have to put up with your ugly mugs and questionable personal hygiene!! LOL! :lol:
Saves on BEER Too!  :cheers: