News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Green69rt's paint work

Started by green69rt, August 18, 2014, 04:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1965gp

I can't wait to see some color on this car.

green69rt

Talked to the guy at the PPG store about a sealer for the primer, his advice is to just use the primer with about 10% reducer added to the mix.  Does this sound right?  I looked at the web site and there is a acrylic sealer and a 2k sealer available.   The final topcoat says it is compatible with either but no data sheet says anything about using the primer as  a sealer  :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

Depends, what kinda primer are you using? DP can double as a primer or thinned more for sealer. :scratchchin:

green69rt

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 23, 2014, 02:45:02 PM
Depends, what kinda primer are you using? DP can double as a primer or thinned more for sealer. :scratchchin:

Can says JP375 Gray epoxy primer.

hemi-hampton

hemi-hampton

If we are just talking about the undercarriage & a driver, no showcar just epoxy prime 2 coats & paint your single stage. all in the same day, no sanding of epoxy or between coats required, spray wet on wet & call it done. Ship it. LEON.

bill440rt

DP primer can be mixed with a reducer to be used as a sealer. Mix ratio is 2:1:1/2.

http://www.custom-aerosol.com/pdf/ppg-dplf-epoxy-primer-product-sheet.pdf
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

If you want the show car look you can do it this way, 3 coats primer surfacer, spend a week sanding every little crack & crevise, Seal with epoxy, paint BC/CC. I had to prime & sand & prime & sand twice on this car & spent 2 weeks sanding undercarriage primer it was so rust pitted but saved the original floors. LEON.

green69rt

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 23, 2014, 04:12:08 PM
If we are just talking about the undercarriage & a driver, no showcar just epoxy prime 2 coats & paint your single stage. all in the same day, no sanding of epoxy or between coats required, spray wet on wet & call it done. Ship it. LEON.
this is what I had thought to do then as I was reading thru some notes here I heard about sealer.  So for undercarriage the sealer is an extra step that I don't need.  I like that.  The primer is PPG and it says Shopline.  Sounds like their low cost paint maybe :shruggy:

I!ve already spent about 20 hours sanding and scraping the bottom, fingers really sore!

green69rt

By the way, bottom of your car looks really nice.

hemi-hampton

Some sealers or primers double as both or can be used either way but not all of them. SO, Depends on what your using & what you want & expectations of quality. I might of used Black Single stage on the Undercarriage of that Black 70 T/A Challenger. Can't remember, that was back in late 1990's 15+ years ago but I usually use Single stage on undercarriages if solid color. DP epoxy has a window of 7 days before it has to be sanded if I remember right but I don't wait 7 days & will sand it after 24 hours. Polyurethane Imron best paint for undercarriage in my opinion. LEON.

green69rt

Have been rereading threads on paint and looked at the stuff available.  Is there A preference of enamel over urethane for the metallic color I'll be spraying.  Is either easier for a novice?

green69rt

Well, I just had to sh#t or get off the pot.  So here it is...

Pic #1 two coats of epoxy primer (or at least my attempt to do two coats.)

Pic #2 two coats of color             (ditto.)

I really like the color, it really takes me back to my original car.

Edit:  When I posted this I saw the spot on the driver side tail pipe hanger and thought "crap", so I rushed out to the garage, it's just a light reflection, paint is fine.

hemi-hampton

Don't forget to cut the trunk drain plug holes. Optional but looks more original that way. The paint almost looks like the green DP40. Congrats. LEON.

green69rt

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 30, 2014, 09:29:18 PM
Don't forget to cut the trunk drain plug holes. Optional but looks more original that way. The paint almost looks like the green DP40. Congrats. LEON.

Actually the biggest hole will be the gas tank fill line, but that's for another day.  I've forgotten how much I liked my old car, looking at the color brings back a lot of memories.

fy469rtse

Mitch that looks amazing, nice colour , your hard work shows ,
:2thumbs:

1965gp

It looks great- much better than black

green69rt

And for those wondering why I taped and papered all the areas, it was more for myself as a test than really necessary.  Over spray, at this point, would just be sanded off.  I wanted to see what it took to do a good mask job.  Not too bad but it is another step and should be planned for. when you plan to paint.  This took about a three hours.

I have to say that the hardest parts to shoot where inside of the trunk drop off pieces (extensions), I just could not get a good angle with the gun.  I ended up painting then with a brush!!

six-tee-nine

Looks great.

I'm gonna do the same as you did.

Are you going to put undercoating over it?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

green69rt

Quote from: six-tee-nine on October 03, 2014, 03:03:18 AM
Looks great.

I'm gonna do the same as you did.

Are you going to put undercoating over it?
I plan to under coat at least the wheel wells.  Beyond that, who knows?  They need it due to things being thrown up by the tires.

fy469rtse

Mitch are you confident to spray your interior, boot area and maybe your engine bay,
Will cut down on the cost for beater to do it, can go in as a roller also , with most of your suspension reinstalled,
Rear end at least , I think what you have done is better than the factory ever did,
Looking for your thread on engine build ?

green69rt

Quote from: fy469rtse on November 12, 2014, 04:17:01 AM
Mitch are you confident to spray your interior, boot area and maybe your engine bay,
Will cut down on the cost for beater to do it, can goes in as a roller also , with most of your suspension reinstalled,
Rear end at least , I think what you have done is better than the factory ever did,

I've talked to another resto shop and he advised me not to paint the boot (trunk to us US folks), the engine bay or inside the roof.  He siad any work they had to do to the outside of the car,  in those areas, would mean they need to paint them anyway.  Besides, most folks on here advise me to do the engine bay in BC/CC.  SInce I don't want to get into that job, I'm going to let the beater do it.

I do plan to shoot the passenger compartment, then put to car on its suspension so it can go to the shop as a roller.  I still have a tiny bit of filler work to do on the outside but I will probably let the paint shop do the surfacer/blocking.   While it's away I can work the grill and dash.   The shop is only about a mile from my house so I can almost walk there to check out progress!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: green69rt on November 12, 2014, 08:05:02 AM
Quote from: fy469rtse on November 12, 2014, 04:17:01 AM
Will cut down on the cost for beater to do it, can goes in as a roller also , with most of your suspension reinstalled,

I've talked to another resto shop and he advised me not to paint the boot (trunk to us US folks), the engine bay or inside the roof.  He siad any work they had to do to the outside of the car,  in those areas, would mean they need to paint them anyway.  Besides, most folks on here advise me to do the engine bay in BC/CC.  SInce I don't want to get into that job, I'm going to let the beater do it.

I do plan to shoot the passenger compartment, then put to car on its suspension so it can go to the shop as a roller.  I still have a tiny bit of filler work to do on the outside but I will probably let the paint shop do the surfacer/blocking.   While it's away I can work the grill and dash.   The shop is only about a mile from my house so I can almost walk there to check out progress!

Is that the shop Charlie was talking about?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

green69rt

No, I went to the shop that Charlie told me about and he is not doing restorations anymore (at least not now).  He said his collision business is keeping him busy.  The shop I'm looking at is called South Coast Paint and Body.  They don't have a wed site, just a guy and some hired guns doing what they like to do.  Small shop, maybe 6 guys and they do mostly paint and body, they hire out other stuff.  I'm going to give them a try. 

Daniel, the owner, even offered to send his guys to my house to do some of the work, just so he wouldn't have to jam my car into his shop (seems full all the time.)

six-tee-nine

I did paint my underside partially yesterday, and am I wrong if I say that it is difficult sh*t?
So much freaking corners and small spaces you need to look out all the time. Keep your spray gun at the right distance, see you get an even layer of paint in every place... Id did turn out good but if you wnat good results its not a 5 min. job.
I dare to say that painting a flat straight surface is easier than this. Or am I greatly mistaken? Still learning as I go....

Wich brings me to my next point : Green R/T why dont you give it a shot and paint it yourself?

I think you did a great job on the underside so why not try it. Build yourself a paint booth with plastic sheet and wood put some fans and filters in it to create a downdraft to get rid of the mist and spray it.... If you take your time and do a correct cut and buff afterwards you might be surprised what you come up with.

A shop that has a ton of Insurance work to do might rush trough things wich wont Always lead to good results and happy customers.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...