News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Green69rt's paint work

Started by green69rt, August 18, 2014, 04:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

Quote from: six-tee-nine on November 12, 2014, 02:20:53 PM
I did paint my underside partially yesterday, and am I wrong if I say that it is difficult sh*t?
So much freaking corners and small spaces you need to look out all the time. Keep your spray gun at the right distance, see you get an even layer of paint in every place... Id did turn out good but if you wnat good results its not a 5 min. job.
I dare to say that painting a flat straight surface is easier than this. Or am I greatly mistaken? Still learning as I go....

Wich brings me to my next point : Green R/T why dont you give it a shot and paint it yourself?

I think you did a great job on the underside so why not try it. Build yourself a paint booth with plastic sheet and wood put some fans and filters in it to create a downdraft to get rid of the mist and spray it.... If you take your time and do a correct cut and buff afterwards you might be surprised what you come up with.

A shop that has a ton of Insurance work to do might rush trough things wich wont Always lead to good results and happy customers.....

Yes the bottom was a b*tch.   If I had to do it again I would think twice.  Next is the passenger compartment and it looks just as hard plus there is less maneuvering room inside the body.   

As far as doing the outside, I actually thought about it but my plan calls for shipping the car off to do the outside while I work the grill and dash.  Only so many hours in the day and I really want the progress to move forward.  I want to drive this car before my teeth fall out  :lol:

fy469rtse

Mitch you have the perfect tool to position the car ,
On its side standing up through door opening, what ever you do from this point will be better than it had originally,
I'm jealous of your floor, looks great  :2thumbs:
But like you was over welding and body work, and just wanted it moving forward
I'm battling wiring gremlins at the moment ,
One step forward 2 back
You have seen the new grills out at classic industries , that will save you a lot of time to get on to that engine
By the way fantastic car , love how those torque boxs and chassis connectors turned ,
Had to retread your whole threads again

green69rt

Quote from: fy469rtse on November 13, 2014, 04:06:04 AM
Mitch you have the perfect tool to position the car ,
On its side standing up through door opening, what ever you do from this point will be better than it had originally,
I'm jealous of your floor, looks great  :2thumbs:
But like you was over welding and body work, and just wanted it moving forward
I'm battling wiring gremlins at the moment ,
One step forward 2 back
You have seen the new grills out at classic industries , that will save you a lot of time to get on to that engine
By the way fantastic car , love how those torque boxs and chassis connectors turned ,
Had to retread your whole threads again

Yeah, actually the rotisserie is the only way I can see to do the passenger compartment, turn the car on its side and stand in the doorways while shooting the primer and paint.  Even then, handling the hoses and keeping my body (head and arms) out of the fresh paint is going to take some care.   Maybe do some practice runs first.. :shruggy:

And I have seen the thread on the new grills.  I hope they turn out ok, I do have one of the PPR ones.  One of the few to actually get one!!  Also, my original looks like I could save it so will hang onto both.

six-tee-nine

Quote from: green69rt on November 12, 2014, 10:43:19 PM
  I want to drive this car before my teeth fall out  :lol:

lol I hear you.... I sometimes wonder when i have a day that my motivation is down if i ever be able to drive it before I turn 40.
Bought my 69 when I was 26 and I'm already 34 right now. That means I'm past half way....

And yes I guess you're right, the inside will probably be an even greather challenge to paint....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

1965gp

Glad to see this project moving along. Also glad you found a shop you like and should be within reason.

green69rt

OK, the inside is done.  Doing it was a bigger pain than doing the underside.  So many nooks and crannies!!!  plus everything stays inside, it doesn't just fall out on the floor!!  I must have sanded every surface twice and wiped everything down with degreaser three times.  Final paint still showed a bunch of crap embedded!!!   Good thing it all gets covered with upholstery and carpet and ETC.

Just three pics to show the final product.  It looks better in the pics than up close.

Next step is to clean my garage up, take thanksgiving off and spend time getting the rear end installed, then the front suspension, also put the doors, fenders and hood back on..  I'll be asking for advice on the suspension so pay attention  (everybody likes to give advice, right!!)

fy469rtse

:2thumbs: Mitch that looks beautiful , i told you you could do it , feel free to work on any of my cars ,
great job , now for engine bay, trunk area inside of doors so once they are back on don't have to come back off ,
and then lets see your finish cost at beaters,
just looks so good , its showing how good the prep was to metal work,
suspension , yes ask anything at all , bottom plates and ears to lower control arms , i think i took photo's and on my thread
K frame welded and gusseted around steering box mount , these two area's are known to be area's of sloppiness to steering

green69rt

Hey guys, my efforts on paint are done.  Got the bottom (pic 1) the inside (pic 2) the trunk (pic 3 and the roof painted (pic 4)  I probably learned every wrong thing to do as I went along but all the parts I covered will not be very visible so it's all good.  I really learned a lot. 

Here's what I learned. 

1. painting the bottom is a pain, there are so many little angles, holes and little hidden areas.  Good luck covering them all!!
2. painting the pass compartment on a rotisserie sounds like a good idea but only if you don't rotate the body.  Everytime you rotate it, things fall out of the door cavities, the quarter cavities and it lands right in the fresh paint  :RantExplode:
3. there are so many variables is spraying paint (mix, temp, air press, speed you are moving the gun, etc, etc , etc) that this is really not a novice job.  My hat is off to those that can do it well or do it for a living!!!

I was happy with everything even though the roof has enough orange peel to start an orchard!!!

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Beav

Nice job!!

That's the prettiest color ever applied to a Charger!!  :2thumbs: (Subscribed to your resto, can't wait for you to drive it.)

:cheers: Beav
Never confuse kindness for weakness...

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

tan top

nice work!!   :yesnod:  looking good  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

six-tee-nine

Quote from: green69rt on January 29, 2015, 12:32:13 AM
2. painting the pass compartment on a rotisserie sounds like a good idea but only if you don't rotate the body.  Everytime you rotate it, things fall out of the door cavities, the quarter cavities and it lands right in the fresh paint  :RantExplode:

I thought I was the only one having that issue. I have blown compressed air trough out all of the possible places ands still dust and media blast sand and dust kept falling into my epoxy primer.
Took my roof shell off last month and then I saw what a bunch of crap there was hidden in the roof structure.

However you work looks great and I think its a pain in the as* to paint such a difficult area as a passanger compartment. A flat panel will be not as difficult I guess...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

hemi-hampton

You gotta keep blowing air threw every crack & crevise & hole until nothing more comes out. Especially frame holes & especially if you have sandblasted. Thats what I do & don't have a dirt problem. LEON.

Patronus

To paint areas like that you have to adjust the gun for a ball of paint, not a fan. And then paint from the inside hard to reach area out to the middle and then return to a fan setting. It is an art for sure, just keep practicing. Are you installing a vinyl top? What are you spraying, SS?
Also, you may not want to be moving her once you start any painting. Practice your strokes first. Roof on down usually. You gotta be moving quick, sweating for sure. 3-4 coats of color, + the same in clear... That car is 17'-2" long.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

1970Moparmann

I give you a lot of credit doing what you did.  Your thread will motivate a lot of people.  Great job!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

fy469rtse

Great work Mitch, look great ,  :popcrn: :popcrn:
Don't worry about the orange peel to roof , vinyl top going back on ? Right
Black or green top, my favourite is the dual colour pattern boar grain on 68's , looks just like snake skin
This car already has twice as much paint compared to what the factory put on , painted in areas and properly done that dodge skimped on  :2thumbs:

green69rt

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 29, 2015, 08:01:47 PM
You gotta keep blowing air threw every crack & crevise & hole until nothing more comes out. Especially frame holes & especially if you have sandblasted. Thats what I do & don't have a dirt problem. LEON.

Yeah, I thought I had done exactly what you are suggesting, I just didn't do enough or else I missed some spots. 

green69rt

Quote from: Patronus on January 29, 2015, 09:22:30 PM
To paint areas like that you have to adjust the gun for a ball of paint, not a fan. And then paint from the inside hard to reach area out to the middle and then return to a fan setting. It is an art for sure, just keep practicing. Are you installing a vinyl top? What are you spraying, SS?
Also, you may not want to be moving her once you start any painting. Practice your strokes first. Roof on down usually. You gotta be moving quick, sweating for sure. 3-4 coats of color, + the same in clear... That car is 17'-2" long.

Like you said there is some skill, some art, some luck and some experience in getting this right.   I learned a lot about pattern control, fluid control and air control as I went along.  If I were to do it again (probably not) I think it would turn out better.

green69rt

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 30, 2015, 05:46:06 AM
Great work Mitch, look great ,  :popcrn: :popcrn:
Don't worry about the orange peel to roof , vinyl top going back on ? Right
Black or green top, my favourite is the dual colour pattern boar grain on 68's , looks just like snake skin
This car already has twice as much paint compared to what the factory put on , painted in areas and properly done that dodge skimped on  :2thumbs:

Yeah, vinyl roof.  I don't really know why I got all the orange peel, maybe it had something to do with the temperature here in Houston.  It's been around 40 at night and 60 for a high.   I waited for a couple of days in the 70s before shooting the paint.   Maybe the paint in the can had not warmed up.  The peel came with the primer, top coat came out nice.  :shruggy:

fy469rtse

Keep posting , your whole thread is inspiring to any one ,
Great build , I can't wait for the photo with your grin ear to ear , first drive start up  :2thumbs:

Patronus

Did you sand the primer before paint?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

green69rt

Quote from: Patronus on January 31, 2015, 09:26:59 AM
Did you sand the primer before paint?

For the roof I could have, but didn't, just to get the orange peel out because I knew it was going to be under the vinyl.  If I get worried that it will show through the vinyl I'll just sand the color down, but I really don't think it'll show through.  Any pictures I take really exaggerate how bad it is.  I just shot two coats of primer about 15 minutes apart then two coats of color after about 20 minutes (long enough to clean the gun, mix the color and take a bathroom break!)

Or if you're asking did I sand before the first coat of primer then yes  I did.  I think I took almost all the old layers of paint off of the metal before I started, then spent about four hours wiping the whole roof down with degreaser (at least three times) before shooting the primer.  Probably the most care I took on any part so far.

green69rt

Hi, folks.  I've been hanging the sheet metal back on the car to get it ready to ship out for paint (yeah!!)   Just a  little status on how things look.  I wanted to see if the time on the rotisserie had changed the body any.  Looks like the car came thru with no bends, twists etc.  So now I have run into the latest problem ( there's always something, right?)  I mounted the doors and the passenger side really came out nice.  Pics show the rear gap (really nice), the cowl/fender/door gap ( may need a little work), the door/fender gap (looks good) and the bottom of the door gap (probably as good as it's going to get, at least I can't stick my fingers very far in.)  See next post for the driver side.

green69rt

So the driver side door (new from AMD) doesn't look as good.  The profiles of the door, cowl and fender (all AMD don't match each other very well.  Also the bottom gap is so big I can stick my fingers into the gap very easily.   Rear door gap looks ok.  So just for grins I measured the height of the new door and compared it to the old door.  Kind of hard to measure but it appears that the AMD door is about 1/4" short.  I think I'll put the old door back on and see if things look better.

So pics show Cowl/fender/door gaps, bottom gap and measuring the new and old doors.