News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hood skin / sub sructure?

Started by xsr/tse, February 05, 2017, 07:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xsr/tse

I separated my hood skin from the hood sub structure of my 69 charger to remove the surface rust hiding within. and now I need some suggestions on what to use to replace the dollops of the original caulk or foam that was used by the factory to keep it all glued together. I was thinking of using transtar ultra flex seam sealer that I have lying around, but i'm worried about it shrinking. has anybody done this before? and what did you use ? thanks for any suggestions in advance! Tony.

Dino

When I worked in autobody I've had to remove and replace the oem stuff a few times. We used a 2 part expanding foam, never caulk, although on some of the old cars you'd find tar ribbon caulk between frame and skin. SEM 39357 is a good option: https://www.semproducts.com/repair-foams/dual-mixtm-flexible-urethane-foam. As is fusor: http://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/adhesives/fusor-121124-flexible-foam-(super-fast)

You'll need the proper applicator. It expands a ton so a little will do.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

You can really use a lot of stuff.  The purpose is to prevent the hood from flexing and booming against the substructure.  I think the original material was some kind of seam sealer.  Sorry you separated the parts, you could have used a rust encapsulator or many other products to stop the rust.

Heck, I bet you could use some "foam-in-the-can" from Lowes.

NMike

wouldnt a panel adhesive also work?

green69rt

Quote from: NMike on February 06, 2017, 10:40:02 PM
wouldnt a panel adhesive also work?

Panel adhesive may be too hard and would transmit vibration from one panel to the next  :shruggy:  I would use seam sealer or maybe some butyl caulking like used around windows.  Use black.  The stuff Dino recommended looks interesting but you need the special gun from SEM.  I personally like the SEM products.

superbirdtom

we have been using OUTDOOR BLACK FOAM from a can . Its called pond and stone foam,comes in a green can, far superior to regular foam. I've had it outside in Alaska for a year with no breakdown.   we use it at the body shop to refill cavities.  its a cheaper route than buying fusor gun and foam.  find it at home improvement centers.   Not saying use it for a hood as I would just use a good air dry seam sealer by 3m or somebody else as that's what the factory used.