News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column wiring

Started by Ghoste, August 18, 2014, 08:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

There should be no place inside the steering column where the turn signal and horn wiring is actually making contact with the moving part of the column there at the center correct?  I have an intermittent smoke getting out of the wires issue every once in a while on a right turn.  I need to find before all the smoke gets out.  Nothing is contacting the column at the deep end so it isn't getting up there from the engine bay.  It only comes out of the steering wheel hub and it only did it twice.  Thats two times too many so the car is not getting moved for right now.

A383Wing

unless the plastic sheath is missing for the wires, the only contact with anything should be the horn roller or brass contact with the wheel hub.

make sure your battery is disconnected

Ghoste

Ghoste

This could be one of those things that drive me nuts to isolate.  It was definitely electrical by the smell but I can find no short and everything works.   :brickwall:

A383Wing

Dust bunnies in the column smoking from turn signal contact spark?

got an air compressor? Take a blow gun and shoot some air in the column at the hub..see if dust comes out...

just a suggestion, consider the source

Ghoste

Could be, I'll try it anyway.  First time had a fair size cloud and I could hear the sizzle in the top of the column.  Second time was a much smaller puff but no less disconcerting.  Two incidents were not back to back and unquestionably had that acrid electrical smell.

A383Wing

the only thing up there is the turn signal switch, the horn is just a ground wire, so you won't get any smoke from that. If it grounded, the horn would be blowing all the time.....I say replace the turn switch...it's yer only option

Ghoste

Whats the correct way to remove the terminals in that connector?  It isn't like most of the ones in the car.

A383Wing

Ghoste

Ones I've never removed before, haha.  They aren't the same as the bulkhead or individual connections, did they use different ones for turn signal switch connectors at the base of the column?

Ghoste

Took it out and I find no breaks or points where its been hot anywhere on that harness or switch.  The search expands.