News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for correct 60 amp round back alternator

Started by GMP440, August 19, 2014, 03:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMP440

Checking the local auto parts stores for a 69 and down 60 amp roundback alternator.  Advance auto has part # P7001 that is pictured as a round back alternator but looked in the boxes  and what's in the box is the 70 and up alternator with the square back. This was in two stores.   Square back is a good alternator, but want to retain the round back version.
Anyone recently buy a round back and where was it bought at?  Thank you.

Pete in NH

Hi,

The 69 and earlier round back alternators were only rated at 45 amps max. for cars with A/C. Without A/C I believe they were rated at 35 or 37 amps. If you are asking for a 60 amp alternator that might be why you are seeing square backs.

Also, in the world of rebuilt after market parts today re-builders just go for fit and function and really don't know or care about what is the factory correct part or not. You might have better luck at a local alternator re-builder if you can find one in your area. For a 69 or earlier you want a single field wire round back.

GMP440

Thanks for the reply.  60 amp alternators in the round back are available.  Been running those for years.  Actually, I used the 2 field version by grounding out one of the fields.  Works very well.
Just found out Autozone does have the correct 69 and earlier round back alternator with single field; part # DL7001.  Went there today to pick it up.

moparjohn

autozone/Autoparts = junk, sorry .  /find a mom and pop place next to you and rebuild your original,Ask Brian why, lol
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!