News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reproduction am fm thumbwheels (again)

Started by Ghoste, August 21, 2014, 08:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I know we just did this but I cannot find that thread anywhere.  The guys that have the repops, opinions?

PlainfieldCharger

Are you talking about the radio's that come with the modern upgrades?

Ghoste

Yes, there were a few guys on here that had bought them and I recall they had complaints and didn't recommned them at all but I've forgotten what the issues were.

ODZKing

I bought this one for the 73.

I don't like the way it sounds, I don't like the way it acts.
It is either all hi-end or lo-end.  No in between. And I put good speakers in the car.
One way is quite tin-ey and the other all bass. I considered putting bass blockers on but that wouldn't solve the other problem.  
Then there is one control for left-right, front-rear. In order to choose between each you have to dial the radio all the way past 108 and wait while the f/r mode kicks in. Then adjust and if you don't like it, do it all over again.
The dial is scan ONLY and many times skips stations are may not be quite as strong.
All in all I am quite dis-satisfied as it is/was $550 I could have spent on my door panels. In talking with the fellow at AAR who makes the unit, he said to ship it back and he would see if anything is wrong with it on MY coin. Rather insulting as well as he speaks to you like you're an idiot.
And the fellow I purchased it from at Carlisle, Mike Hagen, didn't want to know ANYTHING. Basically blew me off when I called.  I realize he is only a "distributor" but come on!
If it comes out, it isn't going back in.  I'll put the original AM/FM Stereo factory radio in.
My   :Twocents:

PlainfieldCharger

I got a AAR (Antique Automobile Radio)straight from them for Christmas. Installed it 3 days later. AM channel no workie. Called the AAR tech rep and they told me it was a bad antenna assembly(I had All new items) but went ahead purchase an aftermarket and plugged it in. Finally after 3 more calls they said ship it in. 2 weeks later they had a chance to look at it and found a bad board. Got the radio back 4 weeks after I sent it in. Put back in car(I have AC so this isn't that easy ) Worked for about a month. Started the car when the radio was on and the dial pointer stopped working. Called tech services went though all of their tests. Take radio back out send it in. It is now June and got it back again. Now the radio keeps cutting out and the I pod part of it is so sensitive that a break in sound on the recording turns the radio on and the Ipod off. I called again and wanted to return the item for a complete refund and go a different direction. I have to threaten them with bad write ups. 3 days later I got the approval but with a restock fee. I fought that too and finally got a full refund. Less the shipping costs shipping there multiple times and the cost for the antenna items. Grant it, that maybe I could have done something wrong... but considering that I have a had quite a bit electrical experience since I worked on Arcade Video games and just finished restoring a Godzilla pinball game I feel my electrical knowledge was more than enough to suffice. I went to a secret audio system. Night and day difference. Radio reception was only a little better but the rest rocked!! These radio look good but if you really want to listen to music I would go another way....

Charger_Dart

I have not met anyone who is real happy with the indash radios. The ones that are rebuilt or have all new guts and 'features' just don't seem to work well and the speakers in our cars are usually not that great anyways. I really wanted to have some music for long cruises and went back & forth and decided to get a wireless speaker that plays from my iphone either stored music or Pandora. The speaker I picked up is a Ultimate Ears BOOM Wireless Bluetooth Speaker and it sounds great and is small enough I can store it anywhere when not needed. This little speaker has worked well in so many places outside the Charger also - hikes, tailgating, outside porch, etc.

Its a good alternative for me and my situation. I don't miss the thumbwheel at all now.  :2thumbs:

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible