News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Field connections

Started by 1970Moparmann, August 23, 2014, 01:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Guys, here is a picture of the new field wire connectors for a new alternator.   Few questions-

1.  would there be a reason why one of the fields is copper?  Does this matter if the blue or green get connected to it?

2.  Since the copper connection head is wider than the standard one, is it okay to file this down?  My old alternator doesn't have the same connectors or I would have swapped them.  It was a Power Master with external isolators (I guess).   The spring and magnet are in a white connector.

Stupid questions - still in learning mode.   :2thumbs:

Thanks guys!

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

A383Wing

that's a double field alternator that has been converted to a single field style...only one wire connects to this style.

you don't say what year car you are working on, or whether your regulator is the single or dual field style.

1970Moparmann

Sorry, it's for my 68 Coronet RT.   It does have electronic ignition (Mopar Performance). 

Just replaced my voltage regulator to a MP unit.

Is it set up by year for single field or dual field?  Or, is it different between points and electronic ignition?

I appreciate your help!

A383Wing

if you ordered an alternator for a 68 Coronet, you got the correct alternator in the picture. The 69 and below all take the single field alt, with one field wire, which they sold you. I'm guessing you didn't tell the auto parts person you have a 70 & newer charging system on your older car, right? Nobody's fault here but yours.

Easy fix though, either take alt back and exchange it for a dual field style, or buy a brush & insulator set for a 70 & up alt and change out the one brush holder on the alt you have now.

It makes no difference where the blue & green wire go once you get this alt part fixed.

The alt you have now is only for 69 & older cars that have single field

1970Moparmann

Quote from: A383Wing on August 23, 2014, 04:42:54 PM
if you ordered an alternator for a 68 Coronet, you got the correct alternator in the picture. The 69 and below all take the single field alt, with one field wire, which they sold you. I'm guessing you didn't tell the auto parts person you have a 70 & newer charging system on your older car, right? Nobody's fault here but yours.

Easy fix though, either take alt back and exchange it for a dual field style, or buy a brush & insulator set for a 70 & up alt and change out the one brush holder on the alt you have now.

It makes no difference where the blue & green wire go once you get this alt part fixed.

The alt you have now is only for 69 & older cars that have single field

Thanks for the information.   Can you please explain how I have a 70 and up charging system? 

A383Wing

your electronic regulator on the firewall, next to wiper motor, has a tri-angle plug with 2 wires that plugs into it. That design was started in 1970. The 69 & older regulators were a square black box that had one wire attached to each end of the regulator. Picture below of 69 & earlier regulator

1970Moparmann

Quote from: A383Wing on August 23, 2014, 04:59:08 PM
your electronic regulator on the firewall, next to wiper motor, has a tri-angle plug with 2 wires that plugs into it. That design was started in 1970. The 69 & older regulators were a square black box that had one wire attached to each end of the regulator. Picture below of 69 & earlier regulator

Okay-thanks!.  What would I need to do to change it back to stock?   Would I need to get a new engine harness?

Pete in NH

Hi,

No need to change anything in the wiring harness, just get a dual field terminal alternator for a 1970 or up. With that alternator you can connect the green and blue field wires to either of the field terminals.

You have a good updated charging system on there now and I would stay with it since you now have electronic ignition. At one time the older 69 and earlier regulators were electromechanical relay types. That was okay with point type ignition systems but, can damage electronic ignition systems with voltage spikes. Although most 69 and earlier replacement regulators are now electronic types made to look and fit like the old electromechanical types.

1970Moparmann

Thanks guys.  :cheers:

Just so I know though, what would it take to use the correct 68 voltage system?   I'm slowly changing out the items that are incorrect and getting it back to "stock".   

A383Wing

personally, I would leave it as is....the 70 charging system is much better.

You want to go back to "stock?" So does this mean you are gonna take out the electronic ignition that was offered in 1972 cars and go back to "points" distributor?

yer gonna have more issues with points ignition and early regulator system

1970Moparmann

I'll just keep it ASIS for now.   I returned the alternator today and will have the correct one for my car tomorrow afternoon.  Should be able to get it to a cruise night tomorrow night, unless there is another gremlin in the system.

Thanks guys.   Continually trying to learn...

Mike