News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I replace fuel sending unit connector with a ring terminal?

Started by WH23G3G, August 23, 2014, 11:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

You know how the fuel level sending unit connector is on the old Chryslers, 90 degree push connector. Well it seems the original connector won't stay on these new China made fuel sending units. Either on my 65 Valiant or 73 Charger. You'll be driving and then the connector comes loose and then the gas gauge quits working. I tried squeezing the connector for a tighter fit but it doesn't work good. It comes off more on my 65 Valiant but it doesn't take much for the connector to loosen it's way on my 73 Charger either. I was wondering can I cut the connector off and add a ring terminal with a machine nut holding it on, that way it will never come off. But I just want to make sure it's ok, I don't see why it wouldn't be but I don't second guess on mixing electrical connections and fuel. I didn't know if it would ground out and spark or something but again I don't see why not. I'm just being overly cautious before I do it.

Dino

That'll be fine.  The worst that would happen is that it touches ground and your gauge reads full all the time.  Actually the worst that would happen is you being stuck on the side of the road wondering why it ran out of gas on a full tank.   :icon_smile_big:

Grab a non insulated ring terminal and solder the wire to it, cover the joint with marine grade adhesive heat shrink wrap, Harbor Freight has a great kit for a few bucks, and you'll be all set.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

jlatessa

Exactly what I did on the fuel tank, brake balance unit and temp. sender.
Used two nuts and tightened terminal between them so as not to exert undue
force on the sending unit.

For some reason couldn't get the push-ons to work to my satisfaction either.

Joe

WH23G3G

I did it today and then I could not determine what size nut will fit. I had a 10,3/16,and 1/4 but nothing fit. Maybe I had the wrong thread pitch but I know 1/4 is too big.

Dino

Quote from: WH23G3G on August 24, 2014, 08:04:54 PM
I did it today and then I could not determine what size nut will fit. I had a 10,3/16,and 1/4 but nothing fit. Maybe I had the wrong thread pitch but I know 1/4 is too big.

Repro sending unit?  Probably made in China, ie it's metric.  Quick visit to your local hardware store and you'll be back in business.   :yesnod:

This would also explain why the boots don't fit the stud well.  I welded my old unit's sender onto the new so the gauge would read right.  I never thought about the difference between the studs.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.