News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd gen Secret Audio SST owners

Started by Dino, August 24, 2014, 08:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

The dimensions listed on the website tell me that the control module should fit nicely in a 2nd gen's ashtray.  I know some of you have this unit so could someone confirm this would fit?  With that I just mean will it physically fit in there.  I realize I would have to lose the ashtray and make a bracket and finish panel to make it look good.

With that said, anyone that owns one interested in upgrading to the newer model?  If so shoot me a pm so I can buy your old one before I shell out $280 for a radio!   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twodko

Good morning DinoMan,

I dunno about the module fitting inside the ash tray.
I mounted the bracket that came with mine to the bottom
of the ash tray. Set the module in place and stuck remote
control just aft of the shifter with a couple pieces of
that thin foam double sided tape........too easy to lose it.
When I open the ash tray the module just tilts with it.
Never have the need to open the ash tray though because
I don't smoke.

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Dino

Quote from: twodko on August 24, 2014, 11:58:07 AM
Good morning DinoMan,

I dunno about the module fitting inside the ash tray.
I mounted the bracket that came with mine to the bottom
of the ash tray. Set the module in place and stuck remote
control just aft of the shifter with a couple pieces of
that thin foam double sided tape........too easy to lose it.
When I open the ash tray the module just tilts with it.
Never have the need to open the ash tray though because
I don't smoke.

Neither do I which is why I think the ashtray is the perfect place for it.  It's well within reach and sight and it'll give the ashtray something to do.  Right now it's holding my garage door opener.

So are you still happy with this radio?  I think that as long as I use a nice amp, a good sub and good speakers up front it should give me decent sound.

twodko

Yes I am. This system was such a good choice and well worth the money.
I put 5x7 Polk Audio co-ax speaks in the package tray and there were
already 5 ½" co-ax speaks in the door panels. My main source of music is from
an iPod I keep in the console and FM. The internal amp thumps
plenty for me but I just don't get the clean crisp bass I like.
There may be a sub and external amp for me in the future.
For the time being the sound of my 440 and all kinda rock 'n roll
is more than enough to give all the ultra lib Pious drivers a coronary.  :smilielol:  :lol:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Dino

Cool beans!  I think this is going to be the best solution for me.  I drove around a bit trying to imagine where the radio would be and the ashtray seems perfect. 

I'll still buy a used one if anyone's thinking of upgrading to the newer model or something different.   :yesnod:

PlainfieldCharger

Got the Secret Audio in mine per recommendation from Bill M which is in his 69. SOOOO much better than a Antique Automobile radio. Radio reception is a little weak but I love the little controller to change the IPOD selections volume or mute while I am driving the 4 speed. I put my head unit in the glove box with some cutting of the card board and put the Alpine amp under the passenger seat. Has been perfect so far. :2thumbs: