News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Road Trip to Alaska-Coffee Table Book Finally Done-thanks Cody Cole!

Started by taxspeaker, August 24, 2014, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

Last night I decided to take the Bird up to Sellersburg Indiana where they always have a car show at McDonalds the first Friday of the month-I have never been but it is only 10 miles. This would be the first time out of the garage since returning from Alaska. About 2 miles after leaving my house I tapped the brakes and they locked up. After the issue with the right front pad in Alaska I assumed I had a frozen caliper piston, but when I put it in reverse it freed up, forward it locked up if braking. This made no sense, but somehow I got turned around and nursed it home using the emergency brake only since it was the front brakes locking up.

I decided (incorrectly) that the calipers were bad-maybe water had gotten in them or something in Alaska? so today I put it up on jack stands to rebuild them. I pulled the driver side and it appeared ok, pads were good (only 10,000 miles!) but the rubber pin grommets were pretty worn, so I was feeling pretty good about my choice to rebuild.

When I went to the passenger side the entire caliper was off-center-curious. After removing the caliper I looked at the caliper's mounting bracket and it was way off kilter. I then looked to where it bolts to the steering knuckle and 1 of the 2 bolts was completely gone, causing the caliper to be way off center. This must have happened in Whitehorse when the disc brake pad went crooked-somehow it made it the rest of the entire trip screwed up like that, but 2 miles after returning home it slides the rest of the way up! Talk about someone up above keeping an eye out! Anyway does anyone have an extra caliper to steering knuckle 3/4" bolt they can sell me? Seriously-PM me please.

Meanwhile I am going to go ahead and call the Ram Man and get a set of his calipers since these are pretty beat up, and put some of those emc pads on too. May as well replace the original master cylinder I guess since the brake fluid looks like coffee.

While it was up on the jack stands I noticed that all of the rubber bushings in the sway bar look beat to heck too, so once I get a lift again I guess the Alaska highway beat them up and they will be replaced.

As far as the trip South in January of 2017 I am getting a lot of bad vibes about personal safety, so that will probably not occur now. The car will go up to Dave at Magnum Restoration soon (I hope) for an exterior restoration and whatever else is needed.
Bob

kiwitrev

if you have the original master cyl I recommend having it rebuilt sleeved back to stock not just from a correct appearance but also performance I have been through SIX masters in my charger trying to find a current replacement that has the correct performance (bore / stroke ratio)
if it was easy anyone could do it

joining the list my cars group
69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe
62 nova57 chev 210 hard top

taxspeaker

The Superbird is still running after the Alaska trip but is scheduled for some engine rebuilding work over the winter since it leaks everything, everywhere now and the rattles tell me I have not found all of the things jarred lose from the trip. I was able to find a brake caliper to steering knuckle bolt and the Bird is drivable and still looks great-that clear bra we put on saved everything except for the gash from the tire I hit in the Yukon. It got driven yesterday for the first time in several months from home to its new home.

Living in a northern state we are often unable to drive our cars for several months at a time. Even though I believe in driving them, like most of us snow, ice and rain is to be avoided. Unfortunately bad weather combined with vehicle maintenance issues has combined over the years to keep me from having all 3 of our old Plymouths running at the same time. We moved to our new 8 bay shop this weekend and it forced me to finish up a 2 month interior restoration on the 65 red one below and get it and the Superbird out of our home garage. My son snapped these 2 pictures while the sun was shining.

We are still working on a DVD time laps of the trip, but as soon as they get it done I will post up and send a free one to anyone that wants it. I have no idea of the time frame on that however, sorry.

Mopar John

Bob,
If I remember correctly you went through a couple of rally dash oil sending units on the trip?
Were any of them originals? If so have you done any research on getting them working again?
If you or anyone reading this has any tips I'd be interested as I have one working part time!@#$%^&*(!!
MJ

taxspeaker

I have blown 2 of them out, also same problem you are having-intermittent and inconsistent readings followed by slow failure. I have on my list an attempt to get NOS ones rather than the YearOne/NAPA ones. If you find a source let me know please!

taxspeaker

The Alaska Highway Bird's unrestored situation is now changed. We showed it at the Carl Casper show in Louisville over the weekend-unbelievable interest and local TV coverage. Funny how a Superbird draws the fans. Anyway, I knew this day was coming and today I took the car to Mark at Magnum restorations for a full resto job. 2nd mortgage time but before the car starts having rust issues and while the suspension is beaten up and the rear main leaking it is time to do the whole thing. Here is a last picture from the show before going to Magnum. I know it's in good hands and that this must be done, but it sure hurts to turn loose an unrestored one.

taxspeaker

Well good news-the entire trip is close to being converted to video clips now and we hope to start posting to You Tube tomorrow. The video guys are debating posting both many clips as well as the entire trip. Part of the trip has sound and that is interesting. I have watched many pieces with them to identify locations, dates, etc and it is surprising what we see in the video that I didn't notice or forgot while driving.

Some interesting comments-
The road conditions were even worse than I remembered
The scenery is incredible and makes me want to do it again
The reactions of people was extremely funny and several picture takers I did not see while I was inside
No comments are needed on the speedo reading in Alaska over 110-clearly a malfunction
Also no comments needed on the RCMP officer's discussion or paper transfer!
We have seen a number of animals I didn't catch immediately
The clouds, the clouds, the clouds
The meeting with Kelvin's Daytona in Sasketchewan now listed on EBay
The nuts at Anchorage Chrysler Plymouth

Anyway look for the 1st upload tomorrow-I will put a quick link on here then

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1970Moparmann

Popcorn will be ready tomorrow.  :popcrn: :popcrn:  Maybe a few beers also.  :cheers:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

birdsandbees

On with the show this is it...  :popcrn:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

taxspeaker

This clip is a 4-5 hour driving stretch compressed to 2 and 1/2 minutes from southern Saskatchewan to a meeting with an even rarer 1969 Dodge Daytona in Saskatoon, before driving on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XefZDkRII-g&feature=youtu.be

taxspeaker

Working on shots for thew first time in a year and particularly like this one. Publisher has contacted me about a book with pictures so doing a lot of searching. One of the neat shots is the RCMP officer from the tail camera writing a ticket with has hand on the gun. Publisher says we need permission from the guy-can't read the scribbled officer name so I guess we can't use that one. Nice guy-ticket was for 125k in a 100k zone-sounds fast but only about 75!

wingcarenvy

taxspeaker

So the Bird is in a complete rebuilding stage getting ready for South America (?) at Magnum Performance. A few surprises including just a little touch of bondo in the nose!

taxspeaker

Sorry I always forget the picture

taxspeaker

After 4 years and tons of editing, our own Cody Cole finished and has published the coffee table book:

taxspeaker

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE