News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reward for my VIN, fender tag, and title

Started by typars, September 02, 2014, 03:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

QuoteEven though they "belong" to your car,  regardless of the circumstances,  $1000 probably isn't enough to motivate anyone to come forward.

Exactly, gonna take a whole hell of a lot more that 1G
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

And another reason why rebodies give me the heebie jeebies.

TUFCAT

These guys are right.  Your best strategy is have your FBI buddy find a 1968 Hemi Charger wearing those numbers...even then it could be difficult to prove fraud was commited without forking out lots of money in legal fees.  :Twocents: :Twocents:  

This relates back to Ghoste's comment above. ^^^

TUFCAT

Quote from: typars on September 02, 2014, 03:43:14 PM
I am the owner of a true 1968 Hemi 4 speed Charger. Several years ago the VIN, fender tag , and title were sold on eBay by someone doing something they should not have done.

Two question for you if you don't mind... #1 How long have you owned the car,  #2  Did you get it without a title or VIN...was there a state issued VIN, scrap title, or did you once have the VIN and title?   :shruggy:  

To get a scrap title, I thought the original title must be surrendered to the state?  But now someone supposedly has it?

There's gotta be an interesting back story here.....  :yesnod:

Ghoste

Technically, you aren't supposed to pull VIN tags off a car and swap them to another one but I think this will be a tough one.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: typars on September 02, 2014, 06:56:10 PM
The best part is im not in this for the money. I have no intention of selling it now or ever.Had my chance on a 71 Hemi Challenger back in the 80 when I was going to collage and could not come up with the 3000.$$ . I sat on that phone # for over 2 years and finally I turned another buddy on to it . I see me never having a chance of have a true Hemi car again in my lifetime.  

OK so this was about 10 years ago that the ID of the car went "missing"...so what's the rush now to have all the tin/paper back?, if your not in it for the money, and you want a HEMI car, just buy a roller, or envelope car, buy a crate HEMI, build it, enjoy it...it's just a machine, nothing more, unless the $$$$$$ signs are the true motive? :scratchchin:

Unless your some Chevy guy just trolling the Mopar numbers nuts into a feeding frenzy :icon_smile_big:

Indygenerallee

It's always about the $$$$$$ that's why he cares about it now and not when he bought it.  :Twocents:

typars

Obviously I did expect a few negative people as on every forum. But you guys don't know me or my relation with my Mopars. The car has been tucked away for some years now and recently I dug it out to get a better look at it and see what my next step was. After looking for old race history on the car I have talked with some former owners and people that spent many hours of there lives wrenching on it. That's when a third party came up with the photo and now im only trying to put the proper pieces back together.  Until a few weeks ago I had no idea documentation as even still around. there are thousand of race cars running around this country with no or long forgotten documentation.

moparnation74

Quote from: typars on September 02, 2014, 06:47:01 PM
Id rather not go dragging his name through the mud at this point. It would get neither of us anywhere. Tags not on car when I got it. I bought it mainly because it was a bad ass looking racecar and I love 68s. But now that all this has surfaced I see it only right that the tags be back in the correct spots.
So if you bought this car knowing it was missing these key items, what were your original intentions for the car?  Just keep it as a racer or were you planning on taking a vin plate, fender tag, buildsheet, and title off of another charger and re-body it?
   In light of the ebay ad, I agree it would be great to acquire those.  However, the person with those items holds the title, which to me legally proves ownership.  Is there actual proof beyond a reasonable doubt that these were stolen from said car?  Or is that assumed?

Indygenerallee

QuoteI bought it mainly because it was a bad ass looking racecar and I love 68s. But now that all this has surfaced I see it only right that the tags be back in the correct spots.

Translates into:  I bought the car cause it was super cheap and looked badass and was a 68 Charger to boot!, But once I found out what it actually was I decided to go after the tags to turn the once ragged out racecar into a number matching car that will fetch huge money!!!

A12 Superbee

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 02, 2014, 10:23:37 PM
QuoteI bought it mainly because it was a bad ass looking racecar and I love 68s. But now that all this has surfaced I see it only right that the tags be back in the correct spots.

Translates into:  I bought the car cause it was super cheap and looked badass and was a 68 Charger to boot!, But once I found out what it actually was I decided to go after the tags to turn the once ragged out racecar into a number matching car that will fetch huge money!!!

Well, regardless of how this turns out, that car that is wearing those tags in whatever guise its in today, just became worth a whole lot less.
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 02, 2014, 10:23:37 PM

my thoughts exactly....sorry dude, but what your posted, OP, seems fishy itself as bad as the person who took your VIN, etc..

Challenger340

Quote from: typars on September 02, 2014, 10:08:08 PM
Obviously I did expect a few negative people as on every forum. But you guys don't know me or my relation with my Mopars. The car has been tucked away for some years now and recently I dug it out to get a better look at it and see what my next step was. After looking for old race history on the car I have talked with some former owners and people that spent many hours of there lives wrenching on it. That's when a third party came up with the photo and now im only trying to put the proper pieces back together.  Until a few weeks ago I had no idea documentation as even still around. there are thousand of race cars running around this country with no or long forgotten documentation.

It still boils down to... at the time of purchase, you bought a piece of metal, that was once a 1968 HEMI Charger with No Title, No Documentation, and NO VIN Plate.
IMO,
that translates to cognizant knowledge, because you were aware, or were of the assumption, that no Title, VIN, or Fender Tag existed, and that without which the piece of metal is basically "parts".

If I understand correctly here, the premise of the argument will boil down to under what criterion constitutes, or legitimizes a Motor Vehicle ?
and I suspect....
that with the level of restoration skills that can be purchased these days.... especially regarding HEMI Cars, that if you ever do indeed find the re-bodied Vehicle Titled somewhere ?
You then Sir, may have an extremely tough task ahead of you.... Dis-proving a Fender Tagged, VIN'd, beautifully restored and correct 1968 HEMI Charger, and the Owner standing there "Title in hand" ? Yes, even re-stamped Body #'s, Torque Boxes, yada, yada, so no one can tell ?
vrs you....
with a piece of metal ?? with one body # stamp ?

Correct me if I am wrong here ? But does "Title", not also confirm ownership succession ?
Whereby, the other guy can "show" succession....  you yourself have admitted a lack of continuity with your shells history therein ?

I wish you the best of luck.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

JB400

Sounds like both parties don't own a thing.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: JB400 on September 02, 2014, 11:19:29 PM
Sounds like both parties don't own a thing.

That's what will probably happen should the other vehicle surface and LEO's gets involved, I'd cut my losses, build the shell, slap another VIN/fender tag on it, drive it, done

typars

68X426

Carroll Shelby built 19 427 Competition Roadsters in the 1960s, yet there are over 50 of them on the road today.  Hell there were more than 70 of them that showed up at the last Hot August Nights in Reno.

The Cobra folks fight forever over duplicate VINs and titles.  This would be a forever fight over a Hemi Charger.

I think it's about the money.  Which is fine.  So let's not anoint a Saint Mopar just yet.

I think the title wins.  :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

A12 Superbee

Better stock up lads, this is gonna be a long one!  :popcrn:
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

RallyeMike

This is an interesting read, but I still have not seen the answer to the key questions: How did the title get sold on ebay (with the vin and fender tag), and if the title was sold, why would anyone NOT owning the title come to the conclusion that they have more legal right to the car than the title holder? Legally, when it comes down to it, a car belongs to the title holder, not the person in possession of the sheet metal.

If I had a "bad ass race car" and wanted to keep it, I sure as HELL wouldn't be looking for the guy who owns the title to it, let alone paying a reward for it. Be careful what you ask for.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Old Moparz

Unless there are records of the ebay sale proving that the photos of the VIN & fender tags were removed from the car & sold, I seriously doubt there will be any proof. Tags are removed for repairs all the time & this is just a photo. Do I believe that the tags were sold on ebay? Sure I do, they pop up constantly & have been available for years. I was offered tags with a title for a GTX 35 years ago when I was sorting out issues with a title to the GTX I had.  ::)

Owning the car that had the tags & knowing it didn't have them when purchased, doesn't appear to give you the right to get the tags now.  :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

1974dodgecharger

either way I find OP very entertaining he has  FBI friend right on this case right now!!!!  :icon_smile_big:  Soon this will end up in Obamas lap and we will find out that Obama is childhood friend gonna hunt down the Hemi car. 

tan top

not wanting to hijack the original posters thread , no offence ment  ( TYPars )  :cheers: :cheers:

talking about old race cars & Ebay !! remember a long time ago , there was a original 68 or 69 , sure it was a 68 though , original J code charger race car on ebay , it was rough !  gutted out  & hacked up for 1/4 mile action , what made me remember it !  was   ,  all the inner structure ie inner  quarters where the window winder / cranks go was all cut out , weight saving I imagine .  sure  pictures were posted on here or may well of been the old site  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

I'm curious to see pictures of Typars Charger.  :popcrn:

J.Bond

Just throwing this into the mix, So, if there is a retitled 68 Hemi Charger out there posing as the OP's title less shell. And they did not remove all the S.O.N. numbers from there factory locations, how in the hell, could someone pass the car off as real. Are the existing stamped S.O.N. numbers on the OP's shell not worth way more than he is offering for a reward?????? to the owners of said title???. Just asking :scratchchin:

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body