News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My #71 K&K Daytona race tribute

Started by Indygenerallee, September 04, 2014, 06:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

Steve, Yeah what I was thinking of doing is after I get the rear sheet metal on use the tail panel to trunk floor as the hinge "pivot" that way the body stays level side to side and I don't actually ever cut the whole body off the unibody at any time, After it is welded I will just lower the body down and the tail panel will bend slightly until I get the rake where I want it. I may just use two small floor jacks at the front of each rocker panel to let the body down gradually, My lift is nice but limits space working around it.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mike DC

I like to use aluminum trailer jackstands for this sort of thing.  

You can buy a bunch of them cheaply.  They are threaded adjustable which makes all the difference - huge improvement over regular notched car jackstands or hydraulic jacks that can leak down gradually.    

Each one isn't built to hold tons of weight.  But they don't really need to hold up that much as long as the car isn't all in one piece.  

v21hemicharger

Quote from: Stevearino on October 03, 2014, 06:45:56 AM
Indy,
I don't know how you were planning to man handle the body but if I had a 2 post lift like you do this is how I would have handled it on my project. This a picture I downloaded from the West Coast Restorations SRT-8 Roadrunner project before they took pictures down from their facebook site. You can see that they welded some square tube across from "C" post to "C" post in the back and then just used some lumber in the front to support the body by the roof to lift it off and on the chassis for positioning. In your case you could add shim blocks at the rear "C" post brace until you got the angle of attack you were looking for.  :Twocents: Sorry for the grainy pic. It is scanned from a hard copy.

You can also use a 3x3 square tube with an adapter to your cherry picker (top side) to lift the body like tis as well.

v21hemicharger

Also on my clone car, I left the hinges to open and left the top door bar off.  Had to clearance to open it but will be way easier to get in.  Don't have a pic here at work of it.

Indygenerallee

Looks nice v21, got any finished pics?

Indygenerallee

Well, got a bit done today as far as setting up my cheap blasting tent, made a run to Harbor Freight and bought the plastic (plus got another free magnetic parts tray!  :lol:) Also ran by Tractor supply company and picked up eight 50 pound bags of Black Diamond media. I put the plastic up and started blasting on the inner (outer) roof on the passenger side worked great biggest problem was lighting inside the "tent" so I went ahead and quit for the evening. I have to go pick up a couple bulbs for my stand up work light tomorrow morning and hopefully by tomorrow evening I have everything I need blasted done. This Black Diamond stuff works excellent and I have not had a clog in the gun yet and they claim it's re-usable up to 3 times which is a big plus!

IMAG2008 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/putaqU]
IMAG2009 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pwe3vn]
IMAG2010 by

Highbanked Hauler

By the pix. I see you made the same cut I did on the outer wheelhouse. My idea is to use  24ga. sheetmetal and tack it to the quarter skin and the lip thats left.  :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Al, Yeah I will Install the quarters first then make one side outer wheel tub will be flat going out towards the quarter although I don't think I am going to tack them to the quarter I think I will cut slots on the outer edge of the wheel tub and roll the edge up and there will be a piece of foam along the edge to keep it from chaffing the quarter panel skin the only place it will be welded will be to the trunk drop off, rear of the rocker and to the cut I have made. I will put the car back on the rotiserre when I do this so I don't have to weld upside down!!  :lol:

Highbanked Hauler

I hear ya on the welding upside down. You just gave me an idea, instead of welding the flange  to the quarter use windshield urethane (tube not roll) and "glue" it which will give it a little flex but has a grip like Godzilla and its less expensive than panel bonding material and a gun for it. :yesnod:

Indy, check your pm's

92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Stevearino

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 05, 2014, 03:31:47 PM
  I hear ya on the welding upside down. You just gave me an idea, instead of welding the flange  to the quarter use windshield urethane (tube not roll) and "glue" it which will give it a little flex but has a grip like Godzilla and its less expensive than panel bonding material and a gun for it. :yesnod:

Indy, check your pm's

This is a good idea. On the cars at work we run aluminum crush panels from the steel tub out to the body cutting them about 1/8" shy of the quarter panel shape. We just use silicone to adhere them and it works like a charm but we intend for them to be easily removed so the windshield urethane would be a better deal for a more permanent installation.

Indygenerallee

Well after 6 hours of blasting I finally got i done, I was planning on going ahead and shooting some epoxy primer but I realized I did not have enough thinner to clean the gun so I will do that tomorrow evening, then after that I can finally install the rear sheet metal!!!

IMAG2013 by

Stevearino

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: v21hemicharger link=topic=113047.msg1401436#msg1401436 date=1412416672

Any pictures yet?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Well, I got the sheet metal epoxy primed I blasted Sunday night, went ahead and drilled out the stock shock cross member as that would be in my way using my quad shocks also cut the passenger rear leaf spring mount and made a notation on the frame rail exactly where the center of the stock bolt was that way I can make sure it's raised up 2" I will cut the driver side before I weld it to the frame rail, the passenger side quarter panel is on for good no more taking it back off!! ground the flanges to be welded on the body and the quarter, drilled my holes to plug weld and used some SEM Copper weld thru primer on all the joints. Still need to adjust the door in at the top to bring the bottom out before I do any welding but the door is level and body lines line up perfect to the quarter. I will hopefully get the driver quarter on tomorrow night then I can install the dutchman panel, do any final adjustments and set the panels with self tapping screws then fire up the MIG!!

IMAG2023 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/piH3Z6]
IMAG2022 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pAasqS]
IMAG2024 by

Indygenerallee

Went ahead and installed the driver quarter tonight and trimmed up the dutchman panel and clamped everything in position, I had a couple Goodyear slicks (27.5x12x15) and figured I would install one on a rim to see what it would look like versus the 275/60/15 needless to say I think it looks more appropriate! I think I will trim the fenders and quarters to fit these tires at ride height and run these when I do race it and just run the 275/60/15's when I plan on driving any distance, finally starting to look like a Charger again!!  :lol:

IMAG2025 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pyVicQ]
IMAG2026 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pjsX3G]
IMAG2027 by

Indygenerallee

Anyone know who this seller is on Ebay!? Really rude seller. I bought a set of these Daytona trunk hinges back on Sept. 29th and had not heard anything on them so I asked today when they were going to be shipped and for a tracking number and get a rude message about "just going to give me a refund because he does not want to sell them to me" !!! WTH!?? I guess I will just make my own off the template Larry Roper gave me...

Here is his and my replies (starts going bottom up)

QuoteHere's what happened

Oct. 10 :

The seller refunded you through Paypal

Oct. 10 :

The seller sent a message

Comments:

I sent a message that they item was going to be delayed !! They are ready to ship in fact was going to do it today . I will refund your money as I would rather not sell you my item

Oct. 10 :

You didn't get the item

You requested:

The item

Comments:

Just wondering when you will be shipping these?? I never got a tracking number. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221312580093?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 10, 2014, 10:26:40 AM
Anyone know who this seller is on Ebay!? Really rude seller. I bought a set of these Daytona trunk hinges back on Sept. 29th and had not heard anything on them so I asked today when they were going to be shipped and for a tracking number and get a rude message about "just going to give me a refund because he does not want to sell them to me" !!! WTH!?? I guess I will just make my own off the template Larry Roper gave me...

Here is his and my replies (starts going bottom up)

QuoteHere's what happened

Oct. 10 :

The seller refunded you through Paypal

Oct. 10 :

The seller sent a message

Comments:

I sent a message that they item was going to be delayed !! They are ready to ship in fact was going to do it today . I will refund your money as I would rather not sell you my item

Oct. 10 :

You didn't get the item

You requested:

The item

Comments:

Just wondering when you will be shipping these?? I never got a tracking number. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221312580093?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That's DC.com member Daytonalo  ( Larry ).  :Twocents:

Indygenerallee

Heard from Larry tonight, hopefully I will get a set this next week sometime!! :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

Spent a while today on the Charger managed to get the quarter panels, dutchman panel and trunk gutters welded on. The spot welder did a perfect job welding the trunk gutters and assorted brackets under the dutchman panel. I did not weld the quarter panel to door jam yet as I am going to do that last. Went ahead and doing some measuring for the vega hatch and doing some trimming on my 73 Charger AMD dutchman panel for the front gutter for the Daytona. really just need the trunk hinges so I can mount my trunk lid and get the window plug dialed in to be exactly where it looks right. Ran out of weld through primer or I would have got more done. Should have the back sheet metal work finished by this next weekend! Then on to cutting the rockers and dropping the body!

IMAG2028 by

Highbanked Hauler

I already have a file started with your  procedure pictures. :2thumbs:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Al, I still have a long way to go!! I just can't wait until the wing and nose goes on!!!  :icon_smile_big:

Indygenerallee

Well I managed to get the driver side rear frame rail welded in and the rear cross member welded to both rear frame rails, installed the trunk pan and marked the frame location on the underside so I can pull it out and drill the weld plug holes. Also have not got very far on getting my trunk hinges from Daytonalo.... That's as much as I am going to say on that  :brickwall:

Indygenerallee

I know some race Daytona's ran the vent line out the driver rear top of the quarter panel, all I can find of the #71 K&K is the vent in the center behind the rear glass? Were they in that same position from the early to late #71 K&K Daytona's???

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 19, 2014, 06:42:06 PM
I know some race Daytona's ran the vent line out the driver rear top of the quarter panel, all I can find of the #71 K&K is the vent in the center behind the rear glass? Were they in that same position from the early to late #71 K&K Daytona's???

Look at your avatar: it's in front of the wing, over the filler, like most Nichels build cars were.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?