News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GYC in hot water over Rex's lime green 70 Charger.

Started by Cooter, September 22, 2014, 06:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 23, 2014, 12:25:06 PM
is that 35K a year? - - or every six months!  :smilielol:

That was just 35K in cash for repairs/stress/mental anguish from what I was told.  I may be slightly off in my figure- just going from memory

rt green

i too support Mark and GYC. i think he tried  multiple ways to make the guy happy. if he does that, that's the kind of shop you want.
third string oil changer

charge69

I applaud Mark for coming on here and giving us his side of the story but ............................... just how in the world did that car get out of his shop as a finished project?  That is worse than amateur work and taking it back to his shop to "fix" the problem areas would NOT be an option for me either!

Obviously, Mark agrees as he was willing to pay for an inspection and put another 10k in "fixing" the car right!

When lawyers get involved, things start to go "south" in a  hurry as they want to tack on anything they can to up their percentage of the take. That, my friend, is a certainty.

Rex is certainly trying to tack on as much as he can to this and it looks, suspiciously, like greed has taken a seat firmly in his camp also!

Whatever the outcome, Mark and GYC's reputation most certainly has taken a black eye.  I am stunned the car left his shop in such a manner.  Certainly makes my DIY backyard restoration look nice!

bill440rt

I can see glaring mistakes from both camps.
The lack of quality control unfortunately is mind boggling, but then again to put a tech on this car who has been identified as being unfamiliar with Mopars should not have happened either.

In the end, I fully commend Mark for wanting to make this right, whether he performs the corrective repairs or not. That does speak volumes regarding his character.  :yesnod:
Shame on the owner for not allowing him to make good.  :rotz:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Quote from: bill440rt on September 23, 2014, 02:05:31 PM

In the end, I fully commend Mark for wanting to make this right, whether he performs the corrective repairs or not. That does speak volumes regarding his character.  :yesnod:

Shame on the owner for not allowing him to make good.  :rotz:

:iagree:

The more I hear, the more I lean towards favoring Mark Worman....

Obviously there's some bad work done on this car.... but from what I understand its probably better than pre-accident condition (missing bolts, safety items, and paint issues not withstanding).  If not "better" than its certainly "equal" IMO.  It was a collision repair - not a restoration.  If you read closely on Facebook Rex said he had an accident with the Charger a few weeks after buying it that damaged the right front fender.  Nobody has mentioned that yet.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I watch GYC but I'm not a fan of the drama between the characters, but I'm smart enough understand most of the "drama" is fake.  If you remove all opinions of Mark Worman and "Graveyard Carz" for a moment there's still much to be concerned about this situation.

First and foremost Rex should have hired a lawyer in the beginning and kept his mouth shut.  He comes across as unintelligent, with a limited understanding of cause and effect.  He's even tried to bully the attorney for GYC before getting his own. Messing with lawyers is a bad idea unless you're a lawyer yourself! The texts to Mark and his FB posts show Rex doesn't think things through (he also needs some major proofreading and sentence structure edits before sending).

Rex's Facebook campaign makes himself appear as the victim.  Mark has the pictures and proof of what the car looked like when it came into his shop. Nobody on FB can honestly determine where GYC work starts and where the past work left off.  This car was T-boned in the driver door (the car was painted in the mid-90's and lived its life up in Canada) and it had decent looking paint hiding bondo, rust, and poor collision work.  Plain and simple, Rex overpaid for a cobbled up car he thought it was a 10... ironically he should be more pissed off at the person who sold it to him!

A good company stands behind their work. Mark Worman appears to have done that. It may not have been to his liking, but Rex was offered a remedy to the situation which he declined. At that point, Rex should have got an attorney to get the matter resolved instead of taking it to the streets with his Facebook smear campaign/pissing contest.  

Unfortunately this "screw the other guy approach" is the goal of many these days.  Being an a$$hole is not the most effective way to resolve a dispute.....especially when done publically.  The FB page and postings of peoples knee-jerk reactions will mean nothing in a court of law.....other than to bolster Mark's potential counter suit for defamation of character.

Rex's approach to extort Worman for an extra $10K won't bode well for him either. I thought he might have some legal traction in the beginning but I was wrong. Since hearing from Mark Worman, I won't be surprised if the Facebook crusade bites Rex in the ass, and ends up costing him more money.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

CornDogsCharger

Tom is right... I actually remember reading that on his FB page (which I am not a member of). I'm not sure if it is still on there but Rex himself said that he wanted back the $30k that was paid to repair the car... plus he wanted Mark to pay to have the car repaired.  I'm going off of memory but this was also when I first read about the 5 months of car notes. From the very start, you can tell what it was all about... $$$$. And let me remind you...  Rex didn't pay the $30k... the insurance company paid it... but Rex wants it back? 

I'm not sure if it was mention yet but when there is a lein on a vehicle that was involved in an accident, the insurance company does not issue the check directly to the owner of the car.  They will issue the check either directly to the shop where the repairs are being done or sometimes they will issue the check to the owner AND the shop.  Rex mentioned that he wanted the insurance company to pay him to repair his own car... which they would have done if the car was clear of all liens, but in this instance, it wasn't. So in reality, Rex wanted a fat estimate written so he could pocket a lot of the money and fix it himself.  I'm starting to see a pattern here...  Whichever route he chooses, in the end, he wants to end up with more money in his pocket plus a car repaired.

Justin
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

TUFCAT

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on September 23, 2014, 03:38:26 PM
Tom is right... I actually remember reading that on his FB page (which I am not a member of). I'm not sure if it is still on there but Rex himself said that he wanted back the $30k that was paid to repair the car... plus he wanted Mark to pay to have the car repaired.  I'm going off of memory but this was also when I first read about the 5 months of car notes. From the very start, you can tell what it was all about... $$$$. And let me remind you...  Rex didn't pay the $30k... the insurance company paid it... but Rex wants it back?  

I'm not sure if it was mention yet but when there is a lein on a vehicle that was involved in an accident, the insurance company does not issue the check directly to the owner of the car.  They will issue the check either directly to the shop where the repairs are being done or sometimes they will issue the check to the owner AND the shop.  Rex mentioned that he wanted the insurance company to pay him to repair his own car... which they would have done if the car was clear of all liens, but in this instance, it wasn't. So in reality, Rex wanted a fat estimate written so he could pocket a lot of the money and fix it himself.  I'm starting to see a pattern here...  Whichever route he chooses, in the end, he wants to end up with more money in his pocket plus a car repaired.

Justin

Using free social media as a "leverage tool" in lieu of legal representation is also a bad idea...   :badidea:

6spd68

Rex should've just taken the payout, accepted his loss, and bought a new car...   :Twocents:

Not like it hasn't happened to lots of us before, myself included...

It sucks, but hey, such is life...
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

HANDM

For the record, I was always on the side of GYC an Mark........

One of my favorite sayings is "It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and only a second to destroy it" and I certainly applaud Mark for coming back after all this time to defend his. I wouldn't hesitate to take my cars to him....

And believe me, being a general contractor, I've dealt with the "rex" types and going above and beyond to do things right and it comes back to bite you in the ass over the smallest detail. No good deed ever goes unpunished is the rule there.  :eek2:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: HANDM on September 23, 2014, 05:42:01 PM
One of my favorite sayings is "It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and only a second to destroy it" and I certainly applaud Mark for coming back after all this time to defend his. I wouldn't hesitate to take my cars to him....
:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Quote from: r4daytona on September 23, 2014, 12:18:31 PM
I believe the new season is starting in November.   Correct, it shouldn't have left like that and Mark knows that.  We all make mistakes - then again, no one here does  :insertsarcasm:

With all due respect, putting 'mayo into a customer's Subway sandwich instead of mustard is a  "mistake."  A car with body work performed on it is a painstaking, time-consuming process that requires many pairs of eyes and hands to assess the work involved before even the first bolt is removed; that's nothing to say about claiming that the car is finished and then returning it to the customer.  If the car had been on a "reality" car show and had been rushed to completion within a week of filming, I could see shortcuts being taken and mistakes being made.  However, that Charger spent almost a year in a repair bay; that's a lot of time for a "mistake(s)" on the level of that car to go unnoticed.   I reluctantly applaud GYC's effort to make it right, but he shouldn't have had to offer to do so in the first place.  And no, I am not defending the owner, he is clearly a douche bag nozzle who is trying to milk this situation to his advantage, but the idea of GYC making a minor "oopsie" is unacceptable, especially when they admit to doing so...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

charge69

I agree with MYK on this issue.  How, in the world, do you justify the Charger leaving the shop in the condition it was in and say it was done?  Defend Mark all you want but, that was some amateur ,at best, work and he let it leave the shop!  I, personally, would never let his shop touch my car after seeing some of the work he let go to the owner!

Yeah, his reputation took years to build but, he screwed the pooch letting this shoddy work leave his shop!  If he would have been a little smart about it, he would not have taken on this project but, money, and I can almost guarantee you he made a lot of it on the initial project, tends to cause people to attempt things they shouldn't! 

Rex looks like an "opportunistic" A-hole in this event and probably is! The lawyers will be the only winners here, as usual!  Too bad as I have a particular disdain for the blood-sucking cretins they are!

TUFCAT

Quote from: charge69 on September 23, 2014, 06:06:18 PM
I agree with MYK on this issue.  How, in the world, do you justify the Charger leaving the shop in the condition it was in and say it was done?  Defend Mark all you want but, that was some amateur ,at best, work and he let it leave the shop!  I, personally, would never let his shop touch my car after seeing some of the work he let go to the owner!

Yeah, his reputation took years to build but, he screwed the pooch letting this shoddy work leave his shop!  If he would have been a little smart about it, he would not have taken on this project but, money, and I can almost guarantee you he made a lot of it on the initial project, tends to cause people to attempt things they shouldn't!  

Rex looks like an "opportunistic" A-hole in this event and probably is! The lawyers will be the only winners here, as usual!  Too bad as I have a particular disdain for the blood-sucking cretins they are!

I don't think you'll find anyone defending the poor quality work that GYC performed.

Its completely unacceptable - even Mark Worman says so.

There's a problem with the way Rex handled the situation.  It got completely out of hand when he became "his own lawyer".  This could have been settled in private with both parties retaining council.  This is exactly what laws/lawyers are intended for.   :Twocents: :Twocents:  

familymopar

Whew!  That was quite a read.

Someone pointed me to the "Don't trust your mopar to the Graveyard" page a month or so ago.  I didn't join.  Not knowing near enough about the situation, nor the players, it shocks me that that page has garnered over 1000 supporters.  Whatever.

So here is my 2 cents, which is maybe worth half that, at best.

Should Rex have taken the insurance pay out?  I think so.  But that is completely irrelevant here.  It is strange that his insurance company made him an offer and then the other driver's insurance made him an offer.  Usually only the at fault driver's insurance is on the hook, maybe that is something with Haggerty's agreed value.  I won't waste too much time on it as it too is irrelevant.

Mark's shop put out shoddy work.  We all agree.  Mark agrees.  Everyone agrees.

But Mark came on here and told his story, a story that sounds pretty good.  And Mark is a business man on the brink of a legal mess.  I do not believe for a second that Mark is dumb enough to come on this thread and say things that are not true or that he can not document.  This thread and the facebook page will both likely rear their heads again.  And Mark knows it.

I live my own life by a general principle: do not judge folks by their mistakes, judge folks by how they handle their mistakes.  Everyone makes mistakes.  I do, everyone on this thread does, Mark does, Rex does, we all do.  Period.  The car got past Mark when it shouldn't have.  Mistakes were made.  We all agree.  But it seems to me that Mark stepped up, and stepped up hard, to take responsibility for the mistake and to rectify it.  That says a lot more to me than the fact there was a mistake.  A huge mistake.  But a mistake that apparently does not illustrate the rest of his career.

The fact that a 3 month schedule went to 8 months is pretty bad.  But we all know time estimates are just that.  Rex could have pulled his car or done any number of things.  I am otherwise leaving the time factor alone here.  It's bad, but what do you do? Good luck suing over that.  Rex had a responsibility to attempt to mitigate his own damages, if there were any.

Rex refused what to me sounds like a very reasonable offer.  Take the car to anyone of your choice, I will pay for the estimate, and I will pay for the repairs, just make sure to get an actual itemized estimate.  That is a ridiculously reasonable offer.  But the offer was refused and now Rex wants a ton more money.  I don't believe that will happen for Rex no matter what route he takes.

The notion that Rex would be entitled to, or receive through legal channels, punitive damages, undocumented lost wages (or likely any for that matter), car payments, or pain and suffering over this is beyond silly.  No way.  Not happening.  After a legal battle, possibly a long one, Rex may be entitled to the cost of putting his car in pre-accident condition.  Period.  What complicates the matter is that it appears that Rex believes that he bought a cherry, when Mark may be able to show that he bought a yam.  Spending a ton of money on a car doesn't mean it is a perfect car.  It just means you spent a lot of money.  Mark had to deal with underlying pre-accident issues that were possibly unknown to Rex and possibly unknown to Mark until the car started being broken down.

In any event, to reject an offer of full compensation at a shop of your choice, the only caveat of which is to document the estimate, will likely prove to be a foolish move.  It will cost time and money and will likely land Rex where Mark already tried to put him, at best.  (When a wrongdoer makes a reasonable offer of settlement before or during legal action, it is unlikely that the wrongdoer will be responsible for the opposing parties attorney fees).

Mark made a mistake in not overseeing this project properly and putting out poor work.  He seemingly tried to stand up, acknowledge,  and make up for this mistake.  Rex wouldn't let him.  Seems clear to me.

Rex's crusade on facebook is short sighted and childish in my opinion.  I can not foresee it doing him any good.  And is just generally ugly.  I don't like it.  But hell, I'm not Rex, and I have been mad before too.

There is no need to mention Tom's Daytona as he covered that ground very well.  I will say that recently AT&T replaced my DVR and I lost the Tom's Daytona episode.  I was not happy about it.

Do not judge a man by their mistakes, judge a man by how he handles his mistakes.  I'm sure that is a frustrating proposition for Rex. So is life.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

HANDM

"Do not judge a man by their mistakes, judge a man by how he handles his mistakes."

Like that one!  :cheers:

ws23rt

The lawyers will be the only winners here, as usual!  Too bad as I have a particular disdain for the blood-sucking cretins they are!
[/quote]

I feel the same way.  But on the other hand I would not try to exterminate vultures.  They perform a needed task for us as a whole.

When you really need one (a lawyer  :lol:) they are sometimes your only salvation from a convoluted mess of laws and regulations. :eek2:

charge69

I tend to agree but, who made all those convoluted laws and regs?  You guessed it, the f****ng lawyers !

charge69

Quickly, the lawyers do not look for justice, they look for a "win" no matter what side they represent!  It is never about justice, it is about "winning" for them !! YOU will pay no matter the outcome!  Justice! Ah Ha Ha Ha !

ws23rt

Quote from: charge69 on September 23, 2014, 06:29:34 PM
I tend to agree but, who made all those convoluted laws and regs?  You guessed it, the f****ng lawyers !

:2thumbs:---And who voted for them? ---We are obligated to be informed when we vote.  
That unfortunately seldom happens.
The lawmakers we hire are there for us.  If we don't like what they do for us all we have on our pallet is our vote.

moparnation74

Quote from: charge69 on September 23, 2014, 06:06:18 PM
I agree with MYK on this issue.  How, in the world, do you justify the Charger leaving the shop in the condition it was in and say it was done?  Defend Mark all you want but, that was some amateur ,at best, work and he let it leave the shop!  I, personally, would never let his shop touch my car after seeing some of the work he let go to the owner!

Yeah, his reputation took years to build but, he screwed the pooch letting this shoddy work leave his shop!  If he would have been a little smart about it, he would not have taken on this project but, money, and I can almost guarantee you he made a lot of it on the initial project, tends to cause people to attempt things they shouldn't! 

Rex looks like an "opportunistic" A-hole in this event and probably is! The lawyers will be the only winners here, as usual!  Too bad as I have a particular disdain for the blood-sucking cretins they are!
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Quote from: myk on September 23, 2014, 05:53:20 PM
Quote from: r4daytona on September 23, 2014, 12:18:31 PM
I believe the new season is starting in November.   Correct, it shouldn't have left like that and Mark knows that.  We all make mistakes - then again, no one here does  :insertsarcasm:

With all due respect, putting 'mayo into a customer's Subway sandwich instead of mustard is a  "mistake."  A car with body work performed on it is a painstaking, time-consuming process that requires many pairs of eyes and hands to assess the work involved before even the first bolt is removed; that's nothing to say about claiming that the car is finished and then returning it to the customer.  If the car had been on a "reality" car show and had been rushed to completion within a week of filming, I could see shortcuts being taken and mistakes being made.  However, that Charger spent almost a year in a repair bay; that's a lot of time for a "mistake(s)" on the level of that car to go unnoticed.   I reluctantly applaud GYC's effort to make it right, but he shouldn't have had to offer to do so in the first place.  And no, I am not defending the owner, he is clearly a douche bag nozzle who is trying to milk this situation to his advantage, but the idea of GYC making a minor "oopsie" is unacceptable, especially when they admit to doing so...
:iagree: :iagree:

TUFCAT

Quote from: familymopar on September 23, 2014, 06:13:13 PM

....What complicates the matter is that it appears that Rex believes that he bought a cherry, when Mark may be able to show that he bought a yam.  Spending a ton of money on a car doesn't mean it is a perfect car.  It just means you spent a lot of money.  Mark had to deal with underlying pre-accident issues that were possibly unknown to Rex and possibly unknown to Mark until the car started being broken down.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Grm2159

Well, I have also been following this story for a while. Never wanted to post because some of the people out here always look for any negative they can find and act and talk like some of the most uneducated bunch of idiots out there. I am proud to say my 440 6pack challenger is out at GYC. Mark always answers my call, returns my texts, and keeps me filled in on the good and the bad of my car. He is above all honest with me when we speak. I spent a week out there at his shop. The guys are great and he has some very talented body men. Derrick can work wonders and is one of the most talented guys I have ever met. Cars sometimes take longer to repair. Rex has to get over that. Mark is trying to make the situation right but rex prefers to continute to let his blood boil and continue to fight instead of fix his car. I have owned over 75 muscle cars in my lifetime. So many all original cars with wide gaps here and there. Uneven gaps in my corvettes from the factory. Something wrong here and there from the factory. Heck, I knew of a new car that had a problem with the fuel pump. Dealership cut a hole in the floor to repair it quickly then jb welded the floor and put carpet back.
I'm not making excuses for the problems with the cars but mark is a stand up guy and rex should have resolved this with him. I can't see buying a Barrett Jackson 1 of 1 car and making it my daily driver. By the way, Darren is really a decent guy in real life.

2592 creston

Quote from: Grm2159 on September 23, 2014, 07:38:39 PM
Well, I have also been following this story for a while. Never wanted to post because some of the people out here always look for any negative they can find and act and talk like some of the most uneducated bunch of idiots out there. I am proud to say my 440 6pack challenger is out at GYC. Mark always answers my call, returns my texts, and keeps me filled in on the good and the bad of my car. He is above all honest with me when we speak. I spent a week out there at his shop. The guys are great and he has some very talented body men. Derrick can work wonders and is one of the most talented guys I have ever met. Cars sometimes take longer to repair. Rex has to get over that. Mark is trying to make the situation right but rex prefers to continute to let his blood boil and continue to fight instead of fix his car. I have owned over 75 muscle cars in my lifetime. So many all original cars with wide gaps here and there. Uneven gaps in my corvettes from the factory. Something wrong here and there from the factory. Heck, I knew of a new car that had a problem with the fuel pump. Dealership cut a hole in the floor to repair it quickly then jb welded the floor and put carpet back.
I'm not making excuses for the problems with the cars but mark is a stand up guy and rex should have resolved this with him. I can't see buying a Barrett Jackson 1 of 1 car and making it my daily driver. By the way, Darren is really a decent guy in real life.

Well said!

myk

Again, the owner is trying to exploit the situation for all it's worth.  Think of someone who gets tapped on their rear bumer, then suddenly gets out of the car wearing a neck brace and wailing in agony; that is how the owner is coming across IMO, especially when claims of work and rental compensation come into play.  I mean really?  C'mon.   ::)

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

69 OUR/TEA

Going by the picture of the day of the wreck, who drives any old collector car in the winter with ice and snow on the ground ? Not to smart IMO !!!! Seeing the pics of parts removed after the wreck,it def looked like a mudded up job.Think the owner has remorse for paying what he paid for it,and wanted to take it out on somebody !!!! LOL.