News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

sway bar measurements

Started by r4daytona, August 06, 2019, 08:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

I think I may have figured out the small "clunk" when I slowly turn right or left out of my driveway.  I see that my drivers side end link has made some rub marks on the strut rod.  I remember when I got my car the drivers side suspension had taken a pretty bad hit.  I don't know if they jumped something back in the 70" or what but the lower control arm was bent along with the lower ball joint.  The sway bar looked fine but now I'm wondering if it got slightly bent.  Can someone take a centerline to centerline measurement of the end links -or- outside edge to outside edge of the threads of the end links if you used a tape measure?  I'm curious if mine is the same.  If mine is smaller then I'll know it's bent inward.  Thanks

b5blue

r4daytona

1969 Daytona,  the end link mounts on the lower control arm are at the outside most position. (if I described it correctly)

b5blue

So not the same as my 70 Charger?  :scratchchin:

r4daytona

IF the sway bar mounting tabs are in the same location I believe it would be correct.  Honestly, I am not as much of an encyclopedia as some of the guys here.

Kern Dog

Quote from: b5blue on August 09, 2019, 08:12:08 AM
So not the same as my 70 Charger?  :scratchchin:

Nope. 1970 through 72 used a different setup from the 66-69 cars.

r4daytona

b5, thanks for at least thinking about helping!

mr. hemi

43.5" center to center on bar link mounts. From my '69 Hemi R/T. R4 red even. The bar on my car has never been hit or bent. I purchased it new in 1981.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

RiverRaider

Quote from: r4daytona on August 06, 2019, 08:47:01 PM
I think I may have figured out the small "clunk" when I slowly turn right or left out of my driveway.  I see that my drivers side end link has made some rub marks on the strut rod.  I remember when I got my car the drivers side suspension had taken a pretty bad hit.  I don't know if they jumped something back in the 70" or what but the lower control arm was bent along with the lower ball joint.  The sway bar looked fine but now I'm wondering if it got slightly bent.  Can someone take a centerline to centerline measurement of the end links -or- outside edge to outside edge of the threads of the end links if you used a tape measure?  I'm curious if mine is the same.  If mine is smaller then I'll know it's bent inward.  Thanks

Hello,
I had a problem like that on my 70.  usually only when turning while backing.  I changed the sway bar first but it turned out to be a bent strut rod.  It looked ok in the car but when it was out you could easily see the bend.
Hope this may help.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

r4daytona

THANKS!  I'll check my measurements tomorrow.  I saw that my strut rod was bent so that was changed a few years ago. I'm going to double check it all. THanks guys