News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Small push bar

Started by Bowers, September 28, 2014, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowers

Hi guys
With the small push bar for the general, where do you connect it under the car? The wide one went to the subframe rails.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Bowers on September 28, 2014, 07:39:54 PM
Hi guys
With the small push bar for the general, where do you connect it under the car? The wide one went to the subframe rails.

Get the one which uses the bumper bolts - very clean looking!

Bowers

Indygenerallee

I have the early narrow uprights laser cut just assemble with your supplied tubes these are exact LEE1 pushbars. I have 2 more sets. $100.00 each shipped

IMAG0675 by
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mike DC

The small/narrow/early-TV-series pushbar was attached to the chrome bumper.  That's it.  It was first bolted and later welded on.  

The small pushbar was not really a good setup for the job.  The switch to the larger/wider pushbar was a result of the problems with it.  The small one would pivot back & smash out the plastic grille divider when it got hit.  It also didn't stay on very well when hit.  The side plates hung down causing trouble with ground clearance.

The small pushbars made for replicas these days are usually bolting into place using small added brackets.  They line up with the (two) factory bumper mounting holes just outside the "walrus teeth" bumper guards.

keith88

I have one on mine ,I think they look better than the wide ones. Mine is bolted using the bumper bolts you can see them on both sides under the lower bar it is very sturdy lot more that i expected. I am not expecting to be jumping or hitting anything with it so i am not worried about it hitting the center piece.

This is where i got mine, tad bit pricy but worth it all you have to do is paint it and bolt it on:
http://smithbros.myshopify.com/products/general-lee-narrow-push-bar

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Mike DC

If you run a small pushbar just be VERY careful with the front end.  It is absolutely not functional, in fact it's even worse than that.  You have to watch out for the slightest front end collision. 

Also be VERY careful about hanging up the bottoms of the pushbar when reversing (like pulling away from a tall parking curb, etc).  If something starts pulling the bottom ends away from the front of the car as the car is rolling back, then the top of the pushbar will rotate backward as the whole thing pivots on the chrome bumper mounts, and . . .  *CRUNCH*!  There goes that stupid $1000 plastic grille.   

keith88

Thanks for the heads up but in my case it is strictly for show the car is driven only during the summer to cruises and shows almost never parked straight in ... mostly backed in to spots plus the bottom of the bar is fairly high i believe it would hit under the car 1st. Also the one i bought is bolted directly to the frame support for the bumper not just the bumper its self that is what makes it pretty stable,not sure if the TV car was that way but its a lot stronger than i thought it would be  however i dont plan on using it like they did in the show. But i will diffidently keep your warning in mind ..Thanks. :2thumbs:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

1965gp

I have the same smith bros bar on my GL. Feels very sturdy.

Maybe it's just all those years watching Dukes of Hazzard but that push bar looks right at home on that red 69. Looks really tough.