News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UPDATED- NEW photos of the K&K Daytona at Talladega running 201 mph

Started by odcics2, October 11, 2012, 05:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Aero426

The oval element is quite a bit larger than the Hemi and Six Pack production pieces.   They do not interchange.

tan top

Quote from: Aero426 on September 25, 2014, 04:26:11 PM
If you start working backwards,  one car remains, which is the one that did the promo work for K & K in 1971-72, then put out back and later restored.   

The Bonneville car (based on a story told by someone who saw it in sad shape) rusted away FAST after the trip to the salt.     

Another short track car went to the Louisville area around 1971.

That leaves two cars.    It is likely a couple of cars got rebodied and reworked for 1971 and the limited schedule the team ran from there on out.     

The photo also assumes  there are no other cars in the shop.   This is the second K & K shop which was rented from the Nichels & Goldsmith Safety Center  (The other K & K shop was a short distance away near Harry Hyde's home.)    I don't think any other team had as many cars in their inventory as K & K.     Harry Lee Hyde said they had "four or five cars,  but not all were ready to run at the same time".

yes  that's the picture I was thinking  of  ,  thanks for sharing the information , interesting stuff  :cheers: :2thumbs:

was the low speed  #71 car  ,  ever used in a race , before it was made to look like the   #88 test car ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Quote from: tan top on September 25, 2014, 06:11:52 PM

yes  that's the picture I was thinking  of  ,  thanks for sharing the information , interesting stuff  :cheers: :2thumbs:

was the low speed  #71 car  ,  ever used in a race , before it was made to look like the   #88 test car ,

Yes, the 1968 Firecracker 400 at Daytona.  It was built especially for that race.  

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on September 25, 2014, 06:37:15 PM

yes  that's the picture I was thinking  of  ,  thanks for sharing the information , interesting stuff  :cheers: :2thumbs:

was the low speed  #71 car  ,  ever used in a race , before it was made to look like the   #88 test car ,

Yes, the 1968 Firecracker 400 at Daytona.  It was built especially for that race.  

And, there were 3 others: the #22 Plymouth, the #6 Dodge and the #3 Dodge, that were also built for that race.

All 4 were caught being too low. They were allowed to race with the front raised up higher.   That negated any advantage for
being built lower.  Nascar told Chrysler to never bring them back, hence the red #71 being sent to Chelsea for use.

No idea what happened to the other three cars.       
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

tan top

Quote from: odcics2 on September 25, 2014, 07:00:48 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on September 25, 2014, 06:37:15 PM

And, there were 3 others: the #22 Plymouth, the #6 Dodge and the #3 Dodge, that were also built for that race.

All 4 were caught being too low. They were allowed to race with the front raised up higher.   That negated any advantage for
being built lower.  Nascar told Chrysler to never bring them back, hence the red #71 being sent to Chelsea for use.

yes I remember something , about a 68 charger being too low  ,  called the 2 by 2 car  I think ?? :scratchchin:

thanks  for info Guys !! appreciated  :cheers: :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mike DC

All 4 were caught being too low. They were allowed to race with the front raised up higher.   That negated any advantage for
being built lower.  Nascar told Chrysler to never bring them back, hence the red #71 being sent to Chelsea for use.

So were those four "2x2" cars the only ones where the roof/sides of the body was unzipped & re-mounted lower on the undercarriage?  

I was under the impression that the body channeling (as opposed to just trimming the bottoms of the subframe rails up closer to the floorpans) was standard procedure (on at least the superspeedway cars) by 1968-1970 or so.  They always talk about having the bodies raked a few degrees on the chassis, if not also lowered too.

Aero426

They had played with the position of the bodies on the early season 68's to begin with, and had gotten away with it (Ford too).   The new design 68 1/2 cars (2 x 2) took another pretty big bite at it.     When they got caught at Daytona, the Chrysler guys were happy to explain to NASCAR how the Fords had been doing it.   Everyone had to raise their cars at Daytona.  

odcics2

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 26, 2014, 05:35:06 AM

All 4 were caught being too low. They were allowed to race with the front raised up higher.   That negated any advantage for
being built lower.  Nascar told Chrysler to never bring them back, hence the red #71 being sent to Chelsea for use.

So were those four "2x2" cars the only ones where the roof/sides of the body was unzipped & re-mounted lower on the undercarriage?  

I was under the impression that the body channeling (as opposed to just trimming the bottoms of the subframe rails up closer to the floorpans) was standard procedure (on at least the superspeedway cars) by 1968-1970 or so.  They always talk about having the bodies raked a few degrees on the chassis, if not also lowered too.

I can only speak for DC-93 (the 88) as far as the body being raked to the chassis: Yes it is, 1.5 degrees to be exact.
John Pointer told me the Charger 500 responded to that positively.  It likened it to making them look wedge-like.
The Plymouths liked to have the total car raked for lowest drag.   This info is for a speedway purpose built car.
Anything for short track would be flat or even lower in back, like the 'real' 1970 K&K short track car.  

The cars were measured behind the driver side front wheel 'frame'.   Minimum was 6.5" track to rail.    Nothing was measured on the pass side or the rear frame rails.   So, it was legal to have that lowered for better short track handling.

I'd like to see a street Charger built like the K&K "lowrider".   :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

Is it just lighting and angle or is the 1/4 panel on that car flared out?

Mike DC

QuoteI can only speak for DC-93 (the 88) as far as the body being raked to the chassis: Yes it is, 1.5 degrees to be exact.
John Pointer told me the Charger 500 responded to that positively.  It likened it to making them look wedge-like.
The Plymouths liked to have the total car raked for lowest drag.   This info is for a speedway purpose built car.
Anything for short track would be flat or even lower in back, like the 'real' 1970 K&K short track car.  

The cars were measured behind the driver side front wheel 'frame'.   Minimum was 6.5" track to rail.    Nothing was measured on the pass side or the rear frame rails.   So, it was legal to have that lowered for better short track handling.

Yeah, they raked the heck out of the Plymouths back then.  That rear window was so bad even in Superbird from.

QuoteI'd like to see a street Charger built like the K&K "lowrider".  

I've taken a big interest in Indy's street/NASCAR Daytona project right now because I've wanted to do a similar kind of NASCAR replica for a long time.  Not just the paint & rollcage but actually reworking the whole unibody so it looks right when you squint your eyes from 50 feet away.  Get the wheels that big, get the body sitting that low over them, and still keep real-world streetable ground clearance.  

Stevearino

Quote from: Ghoste on September 28, 2014, 01:47:37 AM
Is it just lighting and angle or is the 1/4 panel on that car flared out?
No it is not the lighting. They did this to all Chargers starting in 68. The lower quarter is flared out and a little down. If you go back an look at almost any pictures of 68-70 Charger race cars you will see this feature.
I tried to get a little of that look in my project. When replacing the lower front quarter I made the piece so that it runs down hill at the rocker from the back of the door to simulate this look a little. I did not pull it out like these guys did though. A lot more work there.

Ghoste

Indygenerallee

odcics2

The idea is to get the air over the tire & quarter panel with minimal disruption.
Less tire visible  in a front view = faster car...  :Twocents:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 28, 2014, 10:45:26 AM
Yep, Steve showed it perfectly. Same thing I am doing.

Same here,just haven't decided on how much to push it out.

SO do  we all show up at Charlotte next year the day after turkey day to do laps  at 100 mph. if they still have it ?? :yesnod: :yesnod:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Al, Im there if #71 is done by then!! (highly doubt it though!!)  :lol:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 09, 2014, 11:24:44 PM
Al, Im there if #71 is done by then!! (highly doubt it though!!)  :lol:

Indy, with the amount of work you have done and the speed you are going you will be ready for Daytona in February. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser